PDA

View Full Version : print competition cc please

Lisa_Louise
02-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Ok, so I am still looking for four prints to submit for HOA. I have one, do any of these work? Thank's,
Lisa Louise

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/LLPhoto59/?action=view&current=originalcopy.jpg

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/LLPhoto59/?action=view&current=Ellicopy.jpg

http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/LLPhoto59/?action=view&current=hannah2.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Lisa, the strongest of these three is the first one. I wish the second little girl was not in it but maybe you can come up with a title that tells us why the 2nd girl is there but not important - hence the back side of her.

I would not enter the second one of the senior girl. It has too many issues that would prevent it from recieving a score you would be happy with.

The last image cannot be used if you use the first one of the two girls. Isn't this the same little girl we are seeing the back side of in the first image? You can't use the same subject in two different entries. As the first image is better then this one (better lighting, expression, composition etc) this is the one I would leave out.

Keith

Lisa_Louise
02-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Keith,
I have to let you know, I am so confused! Please pm me and tell me the issues of the senior girl. I need to understand and learn from that one. Second, I actually have two different pictures of the two girls. They are cousin's and so I did them both this way for their parent's. Making their daughter the center of attention each time . Getting back to my confusion, I guess I thought it was clear to make one girl the focus of attention, I surmise that this is a bad idea for print competition? See, I don't think I have the right mind set yet. So the question is that there is no relevance to why the one girl takes presedence over the other? Thank you,
Lisa Louise

Lisa_Louise
02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Title for the two girls, " Caught in the light"

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Keith,
I have to let you know, I am so confused! Please pm me and tell me the issues of the senior girl. I need to understand and learn from that one. Second, I actually have two different pictures of the two girls. They are cousin's and so I did them both this way for their parent's. Making their daughter the center of attention each time . Getting back to my confusion, I guess I thought it was clear to make one girl the focus of attention, I surmise that this is a bad idea for print competition? See, I don't think I have the right mind set yet. So the question is that there is no relevance to why the one girl takes presedence over the other? Thank you,
Lisa Louise

Lisa, So the girls are cousins and maybe this is meaningful to the parents. But you don't get to stand up in print competition and explain the image to the judges. So if I was on the panel I would think, nice portrait of this little girl but why do we have the backside and slightly out of focus second child in the image? They are not relating to each other (looking in different directions not at each other or at same thing), so what's the story I am supposed to get from this. It's a case where because the second subject does not add to the image, it's a distraction to the image. It would be stronger without her in it. It's still the best of these three but it could have been even better as a single portrait. It's not that you shouldn't enter a portrait of two people or even a portrait of two people where one is the main subject and one is basically a prop. It's just that for those cases to work, the couple is the subject or the second person tells us something or adds to the story. Here the second girl is just a distraction. Like I said give em a title that explains the second subject. "Caught in the Light" is a good title but it doesn't explain the second girl.

Keith