PDA

View Full Version : adding objects to competition prints?

Lisa_Louise
02-18-2009, 03:21 PM
This may be a dumb question, but... Keith suggested I add an ant to an image of a flower I am working on, but where do I find the image to use? Is it like clip art. This concept is new to me. I know I read on one of the threads about someone adding an image of an old man in one of her images, but from where?...
Lisa Louise

Dave_Cisco
02-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Anywhere you can find it(legally)...or shoot it yourself.:)

Betsy_Finn
02-18-2009, 04:19 PM
If it's warm enough, just grab an ant from outside, get out your macro lens and put together a "mini high-key" backdrop (contained, of course). Then it will be easy to pull that ant into your initial image as a layer, and mask out the white.

If you do this though, make sure the perspective and light source will be believable for the image you are putting it in! (e.g. sun coming from right side, put your light to right of ant)

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Hi Lisa;

I have talked about this site, before, to get textures and images of graffitti walls. http://www.fontplay.com/freephotos/ They are all by amateurs and a disclaimer states that they can be used for any purpose personal or commercial. Check under Wildlife ... there are some bees and a housefly that I saw while quickly looking through.

I did a search and came up with this site which also says all images are free to use for personal and commercial use ... and there are some images of ants too.
http://www.imageafter.com/category.php?category=nature_animals_insects

Rodney_Ninow
02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
This is interesting. Does she have to disclose that the final image is a composite?

Lisa_Louise
02-18-2009, 06:29 PM
D Craig,
Now that is what I was hoping for. I really can't get my hands on an ant....well maybe a pet store. :p I appreciate all the advice.
Lisa Louise

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2009, 07:39 PM
This is interesting. Does she have to disclose that the final image is a composite?

Hi Rodney'

Considering that an ant, full sized, is a good bit smaller than my little fingernail I don't thinks she has to say anything. But, since Keith advised her to add an ant, I am sure he will chime in on this. He is an affiliate judge so he should have a definitive answer.

Keith_A_Howe
02-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Hi Rodney'

Considering that an ant, full sized, is a good bit smaller than my little fingernail I don't thinks she has to say anything. But, since Keith advised her to add an ant, I am sure he will chime in on this. He is an affiliate judge so he should have a definitive answer.

No you do not have to say anything about compositing the image. In Portrait open, If you do a composit, the main image has to be your image.

Lisa I really was thinking of this as an option when you are photographing to think about the design of the petals and what it could be. Like I think Besty said, Trying to put in an ant will be very hard to get it to look right because you will need to have the lighting the same, perspective the same and it will need to look like it was in that position orginally. I still think that that angle on that type of flower could do well with an ant in about that position and with dramatic lighting.

Good Luck
Keith

Rodney_Ninow
02-19-2009, 06:36 AM
Lisa do you have a link to the image you are talking about?

Rick_Massarini
02-19-2009, 06:50 AM
D Craig,
Now that is what I was hoping for. I really can't get my hands on an ant....well maybe a pet store. :p I appreciate all the advice.
Lisa Louise

Lisa,

Look around in a wooded area for one of those really HUGE Carpenter ants. they might be a bit easier to photograph with a reasonable macro lens.

Carpenter ants are generally pretty easy to find - all you have to do is to walk through a wooded area and be really quiet - when you hear "Close to You" or "Do You Know the way to San Jose", just get your camera out and hike in that direction...

Linda_Gregory
02-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Rick, there are not going to be any visible ants in Nebraska any time in the next few months and if she's getting ready for HOA, that will be too late. You down south forget what it's like in frozen tundra areas! Bugs? Not outside!

Rebecca_Eastman
02-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Rick Massarini:
"Carpenter ants are generally pretty easy to find - all you have to do is to walk through a wooded area and be really quiet - when you hear "Close to You" or "Do You Know the way to San Jose", just get your camera out and hike in that direction..."

Hehe, that was funny Rick.

Lisa_Louise
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Rodney,
Yes I do.http://s690.photobucket.com/albums/vv266/LLPhoto59/?action=view&current=magcanvascopy.jpg

Lisa_Louise
02-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Rick, that was funny, and Linda I originally wrote " its winter here people!" Why state the obvious..... I was curious as to if pet stores with exotic pets, feed any of them ants?