PDA

View Full Version : Korean Princess (or something like that. I'm not good at naming)

laurapiazza24
02-08-2009, 07:11 PM
I photographed a beautiful Korean baby in full traditional dress. It's getting close to NH competition time and I would love to enter one in the competition, but only if it has a shot at a merit. Here is my favorite. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much!

Bigger version can be seen here.

http://www.piazzacreative.com/I_0047_copywrited_HR.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
02-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Laura;

The traditional outfit is great ! Here are the problems I see: It is broad lit / She is looking to the right side of the presentation instead of the left / The pose is straight on with no impact / It is too bright / She is too centered / and the matte color should be deeper.

With changes I can see this image getting into the high 70's.

Rick_Massarini
02-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Hi Laura;

The traditional outfit is great ! Here are the problems I see: It is broad lit / She is looking to the right side of the presentation instead of the left / The pose is straight on with no impact / It is too bright / She is too centered / and the matte color should be deeper.

With changes I can see this image getting into the high 70's.

I agree with the comment about the image being broad lit. If the main light were to be brought to the opposite (right) side of the image making the image short lit, it would be stronger.

I do not agree about the subject facing the right side of the image being a problem. This is a Traditional Korean subject in traditional garb. People of Korean, Japanese, and Chinese heritage read an image from upper right to lower left (the exact opposite of people of European heritage who read from lower left to upper right). So a Korean mother would look into the image from the upper right hand side and would move directly into the subjects face - so facing to the right is the most appropriate direction in this situation. A trained affiliate juror would know to understand the inherent cultural differences when judging an image such as this and would take this into consideration before placing a score on the image.

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Rick;

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Keith_A_Howe
02-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Laura, FWIW I didn't want you to think I was avoiding your print because I usually try to comment on most things in the comp thread. But I read the second sentence "It's getting close to NH competition time " and I didn't look at the image. Holly and I are both judging in NH and I didn't want to have to DQ myself.
Keith

MarilynDillon
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
What will we do without Keith and Holly to help us for NHPPA?!? HA!
It will be an honor to have you both as judges this year -- and speaking too! It is going to be a great convention.

laurapiazza24
02-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Keith, did I say I was entering in the NHPPA, meant the um, PPA, um of VT. yeah. Just kidding! It'll be great to meet you and Holly and listen to you judge. what a great learning experience it'll be for us all!Thanks for everyone else's critique. I will look at my others to see if there are any others that would work out better. I think I tend to light chubby babies broadly because I actually like to show off the roundness of their baby faces. :D

Keith_A_Howe
02-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Laura, what broad light accomplishes is to make a face look round like you said, but also flat. If you like the chubbiness of a baby face then try short light whih will accent the urve of the cheeks and the little button noses.

Keith