PDA

View Full Version : Shy Girl in Boots...

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2009, 12:59 AM
Ok guys, I've been working on this for a while now and before I end up overworking it, I wanted to get your opinions on what I can do to make it better. Also do you think the bottom of the boots being black will keep this from a merit, or do you think the judges will get past this?

I really like this image, but if it's not gonna fly, then I'm looking forward to hearing why you think I should just tuck it away in the "almost" folder.

Thanks ahead of time for your opinions.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2234/223/39/647802658/n647802658_1546205_635.jpg

Rick_Massarini
02-08-2009, 01:06 AM
What bothers me more than the black of the heel is the unattractive back of the hand right by her face. Showing the back of the hand especially with fingers spread makes the hand look somewhat clawlike and not especially feminine. JMO (Private question - not trying to hijack - but have you heard from Rebecca yet??? - send me a PM)

Dave_Cisco
02-08-2009, 01:53 AM
Way, way, way too much netting. Next time you shoot this, do away with the netting, then post for a critique.:D

PS,
If the heel bothered you enough to comment, you probably have your answer. You're just trying to wish it away.:D Might see what white would look like in place of the black.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi Rick,
I haven't heard from anyone yet... Maybe next week? I hope...

Anyway, I was wondering if you really think the back of the hand rule would actually apply here as this is obviously not a standard portrait. I have tried to make it look like a claw in my mind and just can't... I suppose I need another opinion or two on this.

Dave, I'll work on the netting thing. The girls do occassionally take shots without any in my studio! Just can't seem to get them to let me use them in competition yet... Wish me luck next time :D

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Also, I think I can't remedy the boots, just curious what you guys thought...

Keith_A_Howe
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Cindi, If I was on the panel and challenging against the print, I would probably mention the boots. Like Dave said, if you are wondering about it, you already have your answer. But the boots would not be the only thing. If everything else was ok then the heels alone would not be enough to keep me out of a merit. There are a bunch of very small issues that add up to a big enough issue to keep me from punching 80. If everyone else who was against the print had already mentioned those other things when it was my turn to talk, I would talk about the black heels. An audience member might percieve that because I only mentioned the heels it was the only issue keeping me from a merit. But that wouldn't be the case. It would be that I wasn't repeating what everone else had already said. Usually if it's an affliate judging with experienced jurors, they will say something like " I scored the print an XX for all the reasons stated plus . . . ". Sometimes if it is a state or local and you have newer judges they don't have that habit ingrained in them yet.

Keith

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks Keith! I really appreciate your input!

Rick_Massarini
02-08-2009, 07:25 PM
[QUOTE=Cindi_K_McDaniel;194679]Hi Rick,

Anyway, I was wondering if you really think the back of the hand rule would actually apply here as this is obviously not a standard portrait. I have tried to make it look like a claw in my mind and just can't... I suppose I need another opinion or two on this.

/QUOTE]

Maybe it's just too ingrained in me, or maybe I've just had too many prints kicked out because of it, but every time I see the back of the hand, it looks unattractive to me. I would recommend (again, only my opinion) turning the hand slightly so that the palm of the hand faces the girl's face and the viewer is presented with the edge of the hand. With a few slightly curled fingers, you get a very feminine looking hand. The back of the hand is just distracting to me,

As far as the heels go, why not just select the black areas in PS put them on a separate layer then move them up the tonal scale to make them white or a somewhat lighter shade of gray - that would remove that distracting area.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
sounds like a plan! Thanks Rick!