PDA

View Full Version : Online-LIVE print comp - NOW

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 04:15 PM
It's live now! 9am - 5ishpm PST - 2/3

http://www.prophotoca.com/ppc/pubs_display.html?ID=199

It's a CA state member benefit* but I think it's a good share! I'm filling in orders right now while the print comp is on my other computer!

If you like what you see, this is another benefit of joining the Professional Photographers of California. Please join the cause, we have out of state memberships available.

PS. Our very own Stewart Schutlz is making this happen! Thank you Stu!

PPS. I might get told to take this post down soon (since it's a member benefit) so log on now and just keep it playing all day!

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Wow, judging is really lenient. I can recognize Janel Pahl, Carlos Lozano, possibly Tim Meyer. Who are the other judges?

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I was print crew last night and quality of most of the prints are truly amazing (and that's what were not seeing) so I think it's relatively balanced judging.

There's Tim Mayer, Bonnie from Oregon, another lady from east, the JC's Tim Mathiesen, and a couple of others who I don't know.

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi Marc;

Thank you for posting this. I have been watching it. If I have to leave the room I just turn up the puter' speakers.

I am going to tell our state officers about this and hope we can have something like it.

jim_heidorn
02-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Marc.

Listening and watching in now.

Jim

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
I just got to see one of Marc's prints judged and challenged. I'll just say congrats Marc.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Lol, and I was screaming challenge (and perhaps other things) at the screen!

Keith_A_Howe
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Is it customary to clap after each merit scoring image? I have never seen that before.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Is it customary to clap after each merit scoring image? I have never seen that before.
Keith

Might be a California thing. There's probably quite a crowd in the room.

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Well, looks like a scenic image is going to win it all again. Spectacular Aspen image scores a 93.

Those who are scoring at home, I gave it a 94.

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, looks like a scenic image is going to win it all again. Spectacular Aspen image scores a 93

I saw that print(93) last night, it was amazing! I actually thought that Peter Lik decided to enter PPC this year.

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
It is lunchtime now. I have seen many terrific images and I have been pretty close on my scores compared to the panel. If anything, I would rate this panel as rather lenient. There were a number that went 78 or 79 that I had in the low to mid 70's. But, I am looking at a small image on a 19" LCD instead of the full size images. Overall, I see this panel rewarding deserving images, giving lesser images a score that reflects a need to improve, and putting the best images into the upper categories.

This concept is great. In Pa., we have asked for a CD of low res versions of all entries for a few years now. They are used for all images getting a blue ribbon (80+) and / or a trophy. Then a continuous slide show runs throughout dinner as well as them being used during the awards.

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I think the judges are stuck too much in the 78 to 81 range. Kinda of surprising because Tim Mathiesen usually opens the judging with instructions. Usually one of his instructions is to avoid 79-81. Either love the image or dislike it. So often, judges on the local level will score this range to avoid having to explain themselves, IMO.

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
I think the judges are stuck too much in the 78 to 81 range. Kinda of surprising because Tim Mathiesen usually opens the judging with instructions. Usually one of his instructions is to avoid 79-81. Either love the image or dislike it. So often, judges on the local level will score this range to avoid having to explain themselves, IMO.

I don't know, But I've been watching (or at least hearing the scores) since it started and there have been lower 70's and upper 80's into the 90's

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
Latest rounds of scenics and JC was challenging an image to go down in the scores, followed by a muting. I have a feeling Mathiesen reprimanded the judges.

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I think that should have been kept live........

Print Comp reality show style! It's actually exciting!

All the drama, anticipation, joy of victory and agony of defeat!

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL, now it looks like they're splitting 77's and 84's :D

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 08:41 PM
LOL, now it looks like they're splitting 77's and 84's :D

I wonder what was for lunch!

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I love the laughing and light banter.

It shows that the judges are human and not just some robots in a closed room punching in numbers!

I love that!

Heidi_Theriault
02-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Is it over? Did I miss it? I logged in but nothing's happening.

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 09:22 PM
No it's not, they're probably taking a break. This might go on till 7pm PST!

Heidi_Theriault
02-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice!

So, being the Webmaster for our dinky little CT society and always trying to get more meetings to happen online...

How are they doing this? Is the print comp taking place in a real room while the web"slave" (not master) uploads the images to the webinar and posts the scores?
Or are all the judges sitting in their own little studios watching images appear online and then scoring?

I'm dying to know. (drooling on keyboard...)

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 09:37 PM
No this is live (I think they're on a break right now) in sunny San Diego! It's regular state/regional (though this is not "official" affiliated judging) format 5 on 2 rotate judges in a hotel meeting room.

The audio is picked up through the mics and the images are files that came with the case or taken last night when the crew set up.

Michael_Gan
02-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Well, that was fun! Marc, sorry about your two images I saw. But I think as your idea get stylized to be your very own ( I think doing the Seniors this way would be the ticket), the judges will see your work differently. This is not to say they won't merit at Western States! ;) I was giving you 83's, but, then again, I know the maker :D

Barbi_Barnum
02-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Thanks for sharing that Marc. I was so sorry when it ended! I wanted to see more and more and more!

I was really disappointed when they muted. What was that all about! If you're going to broadcast...don't censor! Well I could of gone without hearing all about that woman's bladder talking to her. Some conversations are best kept to yourself.

But anyways, thanks so much Marc!

Marc_Benjamin
02-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Well, that was fun! Marc, sorry about your two images I saw. But I think as your idea get stylized to be your very own ( I think doing the Seniors this way would be the ticket), the judges will see your work differently. This is not to say they won't merit at Western States! ;) I was giving you 83's, but, then again, I know the maker :D

Is it time for me to start the gripes thread? lol

Anyways, it's not over yet! I'm thinking this is gonna go till 8pm PST since there still EI (there's at least 50 prints) and albums! I had to re-log in though!

Barbi_Barnum
02-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Is the web cast still going? It shut down on me.

Marc_Benjamin
02-04-2009, 12:50 AM
OK I guess it's really over now.

wish they would have included the albums though cause they were all digital anyway.

UPDATE: wow those California people really know how to run a comp. Within 2 hours of the comp, the scores are already out! Amazing!

Mark_Levesque
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I watched for a little while. Loved it. Yet another reason to love Lightroom. :D

Way to go with your 84, too!

D._Craig_Flory
02-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Marc;

That was great ! I had to turn it off to go to a meeting last night so didn't see it all. I wish it could somehow be archived so it could be accessed at any time.

I'd like to see a .pdf on all that went into producing this. I would share it with our state officers.

Stewart_Schulze
02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
I had the luck of being the person who produced the live webcast of the print competition. it was not an easy task in fact it was an extreme hard learning experience. Many things were learned as we went along and many things were figured out after it was over and we had time to think. i hope to do a write up about it soon and will try to post it on the forum.

Barbi_Barnum
02-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Stewart thank you so much for working to make that happen. I wish all of the competitions could be broadcast like that! I really got a lot out of it.

D._Craig_Flory
02-07-2009, 12:07 AM
I had the luck of being the person who produced the live webcast of the print competition. it was not an easy task in fact it was an extreme hard learning experience. Many things were learned as we went along and many things were figured out after it was over and we had time to think. i hope to do a write up about it soon and will try to post it on the forum.

Hi Stewart;

I sent you an e-mail yesterday hoping for a .pdf on how it was done so I can give it to our state assn. officers and board of governors. So, I am looking forward to when you have it written up.

Marc_Benjamin
02-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi Stewart;

I sent you an e-mail yesterday hoping for a .pdf on how it was done so I can give it to our state assn. officers and board of governors. So, I am looking forward to when you have it written up.

How about your state association hire Stu to run, to teach a class on running the webcast or be a consultant!

Linda_Gregory
02-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I thought the name on there looked familiar! Great job, Stuart!