PDA

View Full Version : Application and Image Questions

jenniferfeeney
02-03-2009, 03:29 AM
A couple of questions for those who know...

The guidelines state 20 different assignments. Would an editorial assignment that was 6 different people, 6 different portraits (and different stories to tell), 6 different locations and lighting scenarios that spanned two weeks but published in one magazine article (and so technically one assignment) be able to be broken up into several entries or can I choose just one from all of the shoots?

Also, how do you classify editorial portraits when filling out the application and doing the breakdown of images. I have quite a bit of editorial work - mostly portraits. I'm not quite sure how to classify it (is it all portraiture?)

Thanks!

Stephanie_Millner
02-03-2009, 05:04 AM
I'm not sure of the way to answer that question specifically. However have you worked out your ratio of portrait clients to weddings to commercial? If you do only 10% commercial, 50% portrait, and 40% weddings, your images should break down to 2 commercial, 10 portrait, 8 wedding. Do you need that many commercial images? Wouldn't it be easier to rework the ratio?

jenniferfeeney
02-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I guess what I'm not sure of is what exactly my ratio is! I have done probably 40% editorial portraits and 50% standard portraits with 10% weddings. Are those editorial portraits considered commercial? Are promotional portraits considered commercial? And if those are commercial, does each shoot count as one assignment (when they are conducted independently) or does it break down by how they are grouped when published?

Another thing I'm not sure about (and just thought of)- does the % breakdown mean breakdown by assignments, or breakdown by revenue? I only do a few weddings/year, but charge significantly more than portraits. Editorial work doesn't pay nearly as well as either portraits or weddings...Thoughts?

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Jennifer;

I suggest showing as much variety as possible. That means as many different type assignments, backgrounds, and types of lighting as you can. If you submit 6 images all for the same type assignment it would be like giving them 6 wedding couples all kissing or all cutting the cake.

Stephanie_Millner
02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Verified this with another CPP first before posting. Image ratios are based on sessions you shoot, not necessarily money they generate. Count actual sessions, not income.

jenniferfeeney
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Not to belabor the point - but...are editorial portraits considered commercial or or portraits?? I'm leaning towards commercial because the intent and end product are often (but not always) different. Just want to be sure before I waste time with a submission and find I categorized the images incorrectly according to the standard.

OK--I just called PPA and editorial is considered commercial (in case anyone wants to know...)

jenniferfeeney
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Verified this with another CPP first before posting. Image ratios are based on sessions you shoot, not necessarily money they generate. Count actual sessions, not income.

Well, I'm looking at the application right now and it says:
"Indicate the percentage of annual sales your business derives from the following services..." Sounds to me like revenue and not number of shoots...

Michael_Gan
02-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Actually, you are correct. If you do $50,000 from 50 weddings and $50,000 from 300 portraits, then your ratio is 50/50 on your application.