PDA

View Full Version : Can You Help?

Howard_Kier
02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
As I took and passed my CPP exam years ago, I own Photography by London, 8th ed. I really can't go into a lot of details right now(especially in a semi-public forum), but I was hoping that somebody who owns the 9th edition can help me out. I am particularly interested in what the book has to say about resolution and high-resolution. If you have a copy of the 9th ed. could you please look it up in your book and let me know what is said?

jenniferfeeney
02-01-2009, 06:33 PM
My copy will arrive tomorrow. If no one posts by then, I'll let you know when I get it...J

Stephanie_Millner
02-01-2009, 07:19 PM
HUGE difference between 8th and 9th! (namely, there are a lot of answers in 8 that are wrong. Check out www.LearnwithBetsy.com for more info on that.) Howard - check out this website... it's the study guide for v9. It's a really good study tool. http://wps.prenhall.com/hss_london_photo_9/

Rick_Massarini
02-01-2009, 07:34 PM
So where in that site does it discuss erroneous answers? I looked it over and all I found was a bunch of references to miscellaneous parts of the book - no section on errata...

Howard_Kier
02-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Stephanie,

I had already looked at the study guide hoping that what I needed was there. Without giving too many details, my client complained to the BBB and I need to be able to support my position that a file I gave my client was high resolution. I'm hoping the Photography book has a paragraph or two that describes what is high resolution and I can cite it in my defense.

Louise_St_Romain
02-01-2009, 08:06 PM
sent you a pm, Howard.

Stephanie_Millner
02-01-2009, 09:30 PM
So where in that site does it discuss erroneous answers? I looked it over and all I found was a bunch of references to miscellaneous parts of the book - no section on errata...

My bad, I meant there were a lot of mistakes that have been found in the study guide. Answers like "Incorrect - 9. Answer C. Your answer - C." I didn't really notice any in the book.

Sorry Howard - I hope that situation clears up for you.

Dave_Cisco
02-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Stephanie,

I had already looked at the study guide hoping that what I needed was there. Without giving too many details, my client complained to the BBB and I need to be able to support my position that a file I gave my client was high resolution. I'm hoping the Photography book has a paragraph or two that describes what is high resolution and I can cite it in my defense.

High, compared to what? High enough for what stated purpose? I'm going to be surprised if you find an indisputable answer anywhere.:)

Howard_Kier
02-02-2009, 01:23 AM
High, compared to what? High enough for what stated purpose? I'm going to be surprised if you find an indisputable answer anywhere.:)

And that I've learned is the crux of the matter. The files were not as big as they wanted so now they are saying I didn't give them high resolution files.

Rick_Massarini
02-02-2009, 01:39 AM
If they just want bigger files, just go back into LR and reconvert them into 16 bit (or even 32 bit) TIFF's

(I know, I know, he was asking a serious question and I had to go make a lame joke... but that's just me - sorry Howard...)

jhorton
02-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Howard, I'm not sure if anyone answered your question or not. I just pulled my 9th ed. and don't find it actually quotes what is considered high resolution, but udner the scanning information is a list of scanning resolutions for intended uses.
Internet - 72 ppi
newspaper - 150 ppi
photographic-quality print - 240-360 ppi
glossy magazine, book - 400 ppi
I don't know if that helps you at all, but that's out of the textbook. The glossary did not define "high resolution" - Good luck

Dave_Cisco
02-26-2009, 05:17 AM
The definition of High Resolution depends on whether you are supplying it or requesting it.:D

Howard_Kier
02-26-2009, 07:36 PM
The definition of High Resolution depends on whether you are supplying it or requesting it.:D

Dave,

While you think you are joking, that is the WHOLE crux of the problem! But in the meantime, I did find some quotes from Gary Fong on his forum which supported my position.