PDA

View Full Version : Webinars?

jenniferfeeney
01-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Can't really tell--do any of the webinars count towards merits? They are often logistically easier for me.

Michael_Gan
01-30-2009, 04:33 PM
If I'm correct...I believe the longer webinars (2 hours or more) are merit courses. I'll look it up.

Ashley_Short
01-30-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm interested in knowing the answer to this, too. I've never attended a webinar, so I don't really know how it works. :o I have seen some, though, that I am interested in, and an extra merit would be great!

Carl_Bromberg
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
I also would be interested in knowing about this. As Jenifer said, logistically much easier for me to attend most of the time.

Michael_Gan
02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
OK, had time to look at the notes. Passed by council at IUSA:

Webinars of less than three hours, attendees receive 1/2 credit.

Webinars of 3 hours or more, receive 1 credit.

1 credit = 1 merit!

So if you attent 2 webinars of shorter than 3 hours, you get a merit.

Webinar teachers get 1 merit for 3 hours or less and 2 merits for a 3 hour webinar.

Todd_Reichman
02-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Michael - is that effective immediately? Is it retroactive? Do attendees only get the credit for listening to the webinar live? How about for purchasing archived webinars? Probably not retroactive to old webinars, right? :D

- trr

Michael_Gan
02-07-2009, 07:21 PM
How long have you had these schizophrenic episodes? :D

As far as I know, it is not retroactive. Also, it is not specified for the archives because there is no live student participation in the those.

...I think I got all of that :D

Ashley_Short
02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok, Todd, so tell me, how long is your upcoming webinar going to be? (Or how long can you drag it out?) :D

Jeff_Dachowski
02-08-2009, 12:34 AM
TODD,
I had been told that webinar presenters would be given merits for webinars that were given in 2008. I am not sure they took on the vote with attendees though.

ALso it is important to note that it is only PPA webinars you get credit for. If you attned a webinar by marathon, it does not count towards merits.

Jeff

Todd_Reichman
02-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Ok, Todd, so tell me, how long is your upcoming webinar going to be? (Or how long can you drag it out?) :D

My understanding is that we're supposed to prep 45 minutes so that within the scheduled hour there is some time for intros and Q&A. We'll go as long as they'll let us truthfully.

- trr

Carl_Bromberg
02-14-2009, 06:44 PM
OK, had time to look at the notes. Passed by council at IUSA:

Webinars of less than three hours, attendees receive 1/2 credit.

Webinars of 3 hours or more, receive 1 credit.

1 credit = 1 merit!

So if you attent 2 webinars of shorter than 3 hours, you get a merit.

Webinar teachers get 1 merit for 3 hours or less and 2 merits for a 3 hour webinar.

Thanks for getting back to us and for checking into this Michael.

Much appreciated.

Todd_Reichman
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
I got the email about the print competition webinar series. Since it's 4 parts does that mean that logging in for all 4 parts nets you 4 merits? Or would it just be 1 merit for attending the series?

- trr

Michael_Gan
02-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Not sure about this because they are rebating the fees towards your print comp case for nationals. I'll find out. My guess is that it's 1 merit for all four.

Ashley_Short
02-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I got the email about the print competition webinar series. Since it's 4 parts does that mean that logging in for all 4 parts nets you 4 merits? Or would it just be 1 merit for attending the series?

- trr

I called to register for the 4 part series today and was debating about registering Brian (my husband) as well. I didn't see a point if we didn't get a merit, however if he was watching as well, I didn't think it was fair that only one of us got a merit. Yes, I was fine with the both of us registering and paying, however when I went to do so, I was told that we don't get any merits for this at all. The woman I talked to seemed to think we don't get merits for any webinars whatsoever. I even talked to Marissa before that and she wasn't sure what was going on either. (With the webinars in general.)

Finally, after registering only myself (b/c they didn't seem to know too much and I didn't want to pay for 2 when I only needed to pay for one..) they told me I'd get the email about an hour before and low and behold I never got one. So... you guessed it.. paid my $95 and got nothing. (hopefully my comp case fee, but you get the idea..) I did, after all, plan my night around this.

So, after a long day with being on the phone with PPA, is it just me, or does it seem like nobody is on the same page??? I apologize for any hostility, but it's been frustrating and then its topped off by not being able to even see the webinar!

If any (Michael maybe?) can do anything about this to make things more defined, that would be great. I think when they put out info on webinars, it needs to specifically say if it's worth a credit, or not, and if so, how much of a credit. Then we wouldn't have to worry about all of the staff of PPA knowing (or in this case) not knowing what's going on.

Sorry for the rant.

Ashley