PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with titles. Pwease!

Carl_Bromberg
01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Really could use some ideas on titles for these. Also open to any cc you might want to leave. Thanks so much in advance!!!

1 "Dreamer" is all I can think of, but I think that may be to common. What do you think?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/3140348698_fb97801ba1_o.jpg

2 "Gatekeeper" or "Saint Peter's Gate"

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3166/3085062752_35dabca804_o.jpg

3 "Veil of Hidden Dreams" is all I can come up with but not sure that really applies or fits. Definately open to suggestions on this one.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/3198550782_6b020fe75e_o.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi Carl;

On image #1 I see a horizontal image of a subject in a vertical pose. The hands are not posed well. The chair where her hand is resting is almost not showing at all it is so dark. No title ... I think you have better, knowing your work.

On image #2 I see an image of a man with no detail of him at all. It is at least 400% too deep on him. If I had to venture a title it would be "Feeling Trapped".

On image #3 I love this one !!! I would make a step-mount with a black background layer. I would make the subject layer a good bit smaller and put her on the 3rd quadrant. A grey tone, from the image for an accent line. For a title ... "Gothic Mytsery".

Keith_A_Howe
01-30-2009, 04:58 PM
#1 - Something looks funky along the back side of her hair - camera right. That will need to be fixed. Also she is pretty straight up and down. It makes her look too stiff posed. I tried tilting it to the left so she is looking more down, didn't like that. So then I tried tilting the image to the right - so she is more looking up. I liked that. She doesn't look like she is dreaming, she looks puzzled or conflicted about something so a title about choices or making choices. Fits for a high school senior.

#2 - Doesn't look like he is waiting to let you in, more looks like he can't get out so title maybe "Nowhere to Go" or "Nowhere to Run" or "End of the Line". I feel like the issue with this print is the background is so light compared to his face being dark and lacking detail. Try making him even darker - just almost a silhouette. Then it would be like he is every man and the story of the image is how all men are trapped somehow.

#3 - That's not a good title - don't know if this helps but Holly said when she looked at the image she felt like she should be hearing the theme from the Godfather playing in the background.

Good Luck!
Keith

Joe_Galioto
01-30-2009, 07:03 PM
carl,
love the goth girl. was this a senior portrait or something you did as a self assiment? i don't get any kids like this in the studio, mine are all so preppy.
how about "black madona" for a title?
joe

Carl_Bromberg
01-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks so much Craig, Keith and Joe! I can't tell you how much I appreciate the feedback!

Joe---the goth girl was a senior client who was really looking for something totally different. She was very willing to experiment and so were her parents so instead of doing the "safe shots" we just concentrated on "playing" with ideas and we came up with this and a few others, but we all ended up liking this one the best. Kind of wish all my clients were like that. It was a really fun session. I love the madonna idea. Well I guess we did do a few yearbook shot that were safe though. :eek:

Keith----Thanks for pointing out the problem with #1 and pointing out the prob behind her hair, I missed that, also really like the idea of tilting her but also conerned about what Craig said about her arms hands in particular her wrist area on the front arm.

On #2 how about "My Own Prison" for a title, but I also really like your suggeston of "End of the Line"

On #3 I can definately see the "Godfather" connection now. Thanks it gave me a couple ideas on that theme.

Craig-----On #1 after looking at this again, I may reconsider this one. You may be right about something better.

On #2------Another I was kind of on the fence about, was considering this because it did well in WPPI's 8x10 2nd helf and scored 81 there. I wasn't expecting that.

On #3 ---thanks for the suggestons, if it doesn't do well at state, I may do the step mount thing. I liked your title suggestion of "Gothic Mystery"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

On #3 I'm still kind of stuck but you guys have gotten my brain going on some ideas. I like "Black Madonna" maybe also "Dark Madonna" also thought of "Cosa Nostra Madonna" or "Cosa Nostra Princess" just now. "Gothic Mystery" as Craig suggested hit me well also. "Princess of the Dark" also just hit me. "Underworld Madonna" LOL Arghhhhh! So many decisions, so little time! LOL If anyone has any other ideas, I'm still very open to suggestions on this one.

Thanks again, I really appreciate everyones time!

treasures1
01-31-2009, 12:03 AM
Satan's angel?

Marc_Benjamin
01-31-2009, 01:26 AM
1. What will tomorrow bring?

2. It's 80 bucks an an ounce!

3. Goth Girl

Dave_Cisco
01-31-2009, 01:47 AM
#2..Your worst nightmare.

Michael_Gan
01-31-2009, 02:11 AM
Instead of Goth girl, how about Twilight?

Will_Price
01-31-2009, 02:47 AM
Midnight's Angel on the last one..

Marc_Benjamin
01-31-2009, 03:02 AM
Instead of Goth girl, how about Twilight?

You think the panels up and up with recent pop culture?

Actually, the characters in Twilight don't look nor are described anything close to that.

Carl_Bromberg
01-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks Kesha, Marc, Michael, Will, Dave, I really appreciate the input.

They ended up being....

#1 What will tomorrow bring

#2 End of the Line

# 3 Dark Angel

They are packed up and on thier way to state, unfortunately I can't attend much of it this year, but hopefully I'm getting up early tomorrow and driving to Des Moines to sit in on the Judging. That's usually what I get the most out of anyway.

Kesha, I did end up using Satan's Angel on another that fit perfectly which was for score only.

Next on my agenda is the CPP exam at regional.

Thanks again everyone, I really can't begin to tell you how much this helped, I'm so bad with titles, something else in the long list I need to work on.

treasures1
02-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Your work is great- I know you'll do well! Be sure to keep us posted when the results come in. I, too am studying for CPP hopefully this year! Good luck on that as well.

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi Carl;

I want to wish you good luck on your print case. I also want to wish you good luck & results on the C.P.P. Exam !!!

Carl_Bromberg
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks Kesha and Craig.

Well I was going to Des Moines yesterday to sit in on the judging, but got 20 miles out of town and the car started running funny so I figured it'd be safer to just turn around and get the car looked at rather then attempt it and get stranded somewhere. So will have to wait for the results when they come back with a friend on Wednesday. I'll let you know how things went.

I also appreciate the encouragement about the CPP, it's one of my goals this year. Not to worried about the exam itself, just the image submission part. :o

Also good luck to you too Kesha on the CPP. Hope you do well the first time out on both the exam and image submission.

Thanks again to everyone on the advice you gave me in this thread!