PDA

View Full Version : How many print merits?

Karen_Smith
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know if you have to have a certain number of print merits vs. education merits or is just 25 total to get your masters??

Michael_Gan
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
You need 13 print merits an 12 service merits.

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Hi Karen;

Michael is correct but I will add a but ... if you are really good you can use 25 print merits for it. The requirements state that you need a minimum of 13 print merits ... bur you can use more than 13 print merits.

Ashley_Short
01-27-2009, 11:18 PM
so it's possible to get all 25 as print merits (eventually?) What is a service merit? Is that what going to IUSA falls under?

Don_Chick
01-27-2009, 11:23 PM
A service merit is one that is not....

1. Exhibition Merit - Merit images in a PPA Print comp
2. Speaker Merit - giving a speaking program, writing for PPA magazine, etc

Service merits are given for attending an Affiliate educational event, judging, etc.

Ashley_Short
01-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, Don!

Karen_Smith
01-27-2009, 11:37 PM
I know I remember seeing the 13 - 12 thing but I don't see it now, it just says 25 total. I have 15 print merits but only 5 education merits (sad, I know) so I can apply the two extra print merits toward the 25 total?

Jeff_Dachowski
01-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Yes you can. Get out there and take or give a super monday or something!!!
Jeff

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2009, 04:29 AM
There are lots of ways to get those few additional service merits for your Masters. I can suggest a way that you can get a couple more - just volunteer to help as a print handler at the PPA International Print Judging in June in Atlanta. Spend a few days spinning prints and listening to the best of the best judge the best from the best and you even get a couple of service merits for your time - how can you loose??? Volunteer, and you're a winner all around !!!

Stan_Lawrence
01-28-2009, 05:47 AM
"2. Speaker Merit - giving a speaking program, writing for PPA magazine, etc"

When did that change? Back in the day, speaking merits counted toward a masters....:cool:

Mark_Levesque
01-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Speaking merits can still be used towards a masters, but you still must meet the 13 print merit requirements. So you can get a masters with 13 print merits, 6 speaking merits and 6 service merits, for example. But you can't reuse merits already counted towards your craftsman.

Stan_Lawrence
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
I must have misread Don's post..... I have quite a few speaking merits, just a matter of going after the last three print merits. :cool:

Karen_Linsley
01-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I still think you should do that Stan...geez...three merits! Go!

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Back in the day, speaking merits counted toward a masters....

You can still use a speaking merit towards a Masters degree, but normally, PPA will keep the speaking merits reserved towards your Craftsman's degree until you get the required minimum number of speaking merits for the Craftsman. That way you don't use up all of your speaking merits to get your Masters and have to do even more speaking engagements for your Craftsman, while other types of Service merits could be used to make up the rest of the 25 merit requirement once you've achieved the minimum of a specific type required for a degree. After the minimum print or speaking merits have been met, then the additional merits can be of any type.

Stan_Lawrence
01-28-2009, 02:49 PM
"PPA will keep the speaking merits reserved towards your Craftsman's degree until you get the required minimum number of speaking merits for the Craftsman."

Got my craftsman years ago....after 10 years on the speaking circuit I have a few merits left over....;)

"I still think you should do that Stan...geez...three merits! Go!"

That thought has crossed my mind....:cool:

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2009, 02:54 PM
So all of those left over speaking merits can be used towards your Masters, or Masters of Electronic Imaging degrees. They would be applicable towards a Master Artists degree too, but that competition has been discontinued at national due to no entrants.

Dave_Cisco
01-28-2009, 04:16 PM
I must have misread Don's post..... I have quite a few speaking merits, just a matter of going after the last three print merits. :cool:

You really need to finish this..:) You will be soooo thankful someday that it's all behind you..

D._Craig_Flory
01-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Hi Stan;

Just shy 3 print merits ? I agree that you need to finish it up and get that Master's Medallion around your neck !!! Or ... sell the 10 print merits to someone, like me, who is maxed out with 12 "other" merits and needs print merits. :D:D My Craftsman Medallion is lonely. :p

Michael_Gan
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Um, Stan would also have to be a member for 2 consecutive years.

Stan_Lawrence
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
"Um, Stan would also have to be a member for 2 consecutive years."

Keeps getting tougher and tougher....at my age that's a long time.....;)

Mark_Levesque
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Just shy 3 print merits ? I agree that you need to finish it up and get that Master's Medallion around your neck !!! Or ... sell the 10 print merits to someone, like me, who is maxed out with 12 "other" merits and needs print merits. My Craftsman Medallion is lonely.
Hmm. I have a solution. Take half your forum time and devote it to improving your comp entries. To put it another way, how many posts are you willing to trade to get print merits?

Michael_Gan
01-28-2009, 06:12 PM
"Um, Stan would also have to be a member for 2 consecutive years."

Keeps getting tougher and tougher....at my age that's a long time.....;)
Ha! Wait til you tie the knot...;)

Keith_A_Howe
01-28-2009, 11:40 PM
"Take half your forum time and devote it to improving your comp entries. To put it another way, how many posts are you willing to trade to get print merits?"

I appreciate the thought, Mark....it's really not a matter of spending any time on it, I'm guessing I might have some merits sitting in my files....:cool:

I am thinking Mark was suggesting that to D. Craig and not you.
Keith

Mark_Levesque
01-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Exactly right, Keith.

Stan_Lawrence
01-29-2009, 04:31 AM
"I am thinking Mark was suggesting that to D. Craig and not you."

My apologies for not reading more carefully. :cool: