PDA

View Full Version : I'm afraid . . .

Elizabeth_Pokela
01-27-2009, 02:21 PM
--of folks reviewing my images in the CPP upload! Man, you all are tough! I am learning a lot though by reviewing the comments on others' images--thanks for taking the time to do so. I am beginning to think the test was the easy part! I though it was the other way around . . . yikes!

Back to reviewing my images--

Elizabeth

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2009, 03:51 PM
--of folks reviewing my images in the CPP upload! Man, you all are tough! I am learning a lot though by reviewing the comments on others' images--thanks for taking the time to do so. I am beginning to think the test was the easy part! I though it was the other way around . . . yikes!

Back to reviewing my images--

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth;

Ask yourself this as you gather together 20 images. Look at each and ask yourself if it is below average, average, above average, or more ? To pass all must be of at least above average quality. I always equate that with state print competition. All of your images must be of a quality that would get at least a score of 76 to 79 or better.

Cindi_Delaney
01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
D.C.
You just broght up a question I had. I looked at your comments on the last batch of uploads and while I agree with you about the lighting, cropping etc. Lots of times you talk about flipping the photo, adding a step mount and other things that would suggest preparation for competition.
I was under the immpression we were supposed to prepare our 20 with the idea of a client in mind.
I wouldn't flip a portrait or add a step mount for a customer.
Please help me understand.
Thanks
Cindi

cpp_upload
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I would like to see this statement clarified officially. While at Imaging USA this year, I was told that the Image Review was NOT judged by the same standard as Competition Prints. This was told to myself and others by a photographer who has long been participating in the Image Review process. We were told very specifically that the image review was not based on competition standards.

Anyway, in addition, I agree with Elizabeth that it has been very disappointing to see so many of the images in the gallery disparaged so.

While it is appreciated to get comments and you obviously take a lot of time and effort to give your opinion, it would be really great if some of the other reviewers could take the time to chime in.

Hi Elizabeth;

Ask yourself this as you gather together 20 images. Look at each and ask yourself if it is below average, average, above average, or more ? To pass all must be of at least above average quality. I always equate that with state print competition. All of your images must be of a quality that would get at least a score of 76 to 79 or better.

Michael_Gan
01-27-2009, 04:14 PM
D.C.
You just broght up a question I had. I looked at your comments on the last batch of uploads and while I agree with you about the lighting, cropping etc. Lots of times you talk about flipping the photo, adding a step mount and other things that would suggest preparation for competition.
I was under the immpression we were supposed to prepare our 20 with the idea of a client in mind.
Please help me understand.
Thanks
CindiDo not step mount for certification. Flipping is at your option as we won't tell unless word in the image are showing backwards ;). the panel is made up of Certified Masters and all of us can tel if you are trying to save a deficient image.

Also, don't get to fancy with a few images, it makes the others go "out of whack". We want to know what you know, not what you can rescue. Look at your images on a "light table" as a whole. This is what we do first before looking at the images individually. Also, lead with your best image and finish with your best.

Oh! And please number your images 1-20 only! We had to reject a couple of people because the numbered their images "05Smith". Talking about loss of anonymity.:D

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Anyway, in addition, I agree with Elizabeth that it has been very disappointing to see so many of the images in the gallery disparaged so.

While it is appreciated to get comments and you obviously take a lot of time and effort to give your opinion, it would be really great if some of the other reviewers could take the time to chime in.

I could sugar coat comments but that will not force people to go for their very best and / or to revamp their photography. I want to see everyone pass but by using the very best images they can create. If my comments open some eyes and help the makers make changes then I am happy. I am not not to knock people but rather to help them reach higher.

I too want to see more Qualified people leaving scores and comments. If someone counters what I said, and they are qualified, then fine. That includes C.P.P.s, Craftsmen, and Masters.

cpp_upload
01-27-2009, 07:49 PM
I found it very interesting that an image that scored an 85 and a merit in judging only received a 5 in the CPP critique gallery.

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
I am sorry if I stepped on some toes. To answer your question … in competition, the judges are seeing 16X20’s printed from files @ something like 300 ppi. Here, the images are a good bit smaller & at 72 ppi. Because of that I may not be seeing what made them award the maker. I do hope others will soon post so I am not the only one. Then you will have some different views.

Greg_Haag
01-27-2009, 09:41 PM
D. Craig,
I appreciate your honesty, while I wish that getting my images together was as simple as picking 20 and you guys giving two thumbs up I would not really learn that way. Some of my images that were posted did not make the cut, but in virtually every image the comments suggested would have made a better image than what I posted. As a result I have learned and I think each time I shoot in the future I will be more aware of these issues, so I appreaciate the honest feedback. Thanks again for the time everyone takes to make this service available.
Greg

Michael_Gan
01-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Just remember that we are all volunteering our time for all of you. We also have the daily run of our studios (although, as it seems we're constantly online, you'd think we have nothing to do all day ;))

treasures1
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I too have submitted images for review. Some pass and some don't, but I learn every time. Thanks to the masters who leave comments I know how much time and consideration go into your comments. I also agree with Elizabeth- I have been studying for the test thinking it was the hardest part- but when I see my images I realize how much harder I'll need to work for the submissions. Anyway, thanks to Michael and D Craig who are trying so hard to make us all better!

Rick_Massarini
01-28-2009, 04:08 AM

Cindi

Cindi,
I was just browsing this thread and saw this comment. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but why would you NOT want to add a step-mount for a client image? We have some step-mounted competition images displayed on our studio walls and we regularly sell clients images with step mounts added to them. The step mounting in PS helps you to sell a matted print ready to go into a frame, or a framed print with the mat keyed perfectly to the colors in the image. With conventional matting, you are limited to the limited gamut of colors that the matboard company offers. With PS, the mat can be made the exact color of the object within the image which color you want to pick up in the mat instead of just being close... Step mounting also helps us sell larger prints - just our experience - now back to your regularly scheduled discusssion....
Again...Sorry about the hijack !!!

Cindi_Delaney
01-28-2009, 04:56 AM
Rick,
Very good points. I think I was speaking as a general rule. Most of my clients wouldn't understand the why of a step mount and would probably think it odd.
I'm here to learn.
Just thought it was unusal to say for the cpp upload.
And before anyone thinks I'm bashing DC or anyone else that comments, I have learned so much from this forum. It really was a question. I mean it when I say, help me understand.:confused:

MarkTurner
01-29-2009, 02:03 PM
... why would you NOT want to add a step-mount for a client image? We have some step-mounted competition images displayed on our studio walls and we regularly sell clients images with step mounts added to them.

I may be hijacking the hijack here, but could you educate me about what you mean by step mounting? Mr. Google is unhelpful with the term.

I'm working on accumulating images for CPP certification, having passed the written in Phoenix.

-- Mark Turner

D._Craig_Flory
01-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi Mark;

Here is the link for an article I gave to the Wyoming Professional Photogs. Group. http://www.wyomingppa.com/news.htm

I will come back and post some examples later.

Michael_Gan
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Here's my recommendation regarding step mounting for CPP submissions:

Don't do it.

Couple of reasons for this.

1. Step mounting cuts down the size of the image making it harder to see the detail of the images.

2. Almost all of us will view step mounting as a way to rescue a poor image. Step mounting in print competition is different because you use it to showcase the image (although some of the national judges seem to recognize that step mounting is a way to rescue a poorly composed image as well). We are not interested in what you can rescue, but what you can do.