PDA

View Full Version : knitted for my wedding day

bonber
01-21-2009, 08:29 PM
i'm making my choices for my first competition entry. i appreciate any advice and critique on this image. thanks VERY much for your help. the title is "Knitted for my Wedding Day".

D._Craig_Flory
01-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Bonnie;

it took me a minute for the title to sink in ... the title refers to the knitted shawl.

My big problem is that she is centered in the overall composition. Here is how I see it ... with the subject layer smaller and with her on the 4td quadrant. I hope this helps.

bonber
01-21-2009, 09:13 PM
thanks! i can fix that her position on the board. yes...she did knit the shawl but it's her hand knitted stockings that i was trying to draw attention to with the title - and with the way she's pulled up her dress. any suggestions on how i could make that more plain? thanks very much for looking. bonnie

Nina_Pomeroy
01-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I was going to say that the first thing I noticed about her is her legs..and then I read your second post where it says she hand knit those stockings as well. I too agree that I would reposition her to be less centered.
(And as a fellow knitter, I do really love the subject matter!)

bonber
01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
nina - as a knitter - any suggestions for the title?

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
Any chance you could post it larger (hosted on another site like photobucket)? As it is, it is too small to see the detail in the stockings.
I am a little concerned about the mixed keys in the image and would like to see if there is reason that the dark background helps the image. As for a title, how soon is your comp? Holly is sick at the moment and she is my title guru. We leave for Maine tomarrow evening so it may be a bit before I get her to check it out.
Keith

bonber
01-22-2009, 01:51 AM
this is my first time using photo bucket so my apologies if i mess it up! i understand what you are saying about the "white" bride on the dark background...there wasn't anything to change about that because it was the day of the wedding and the venue was full of beautiful dark wood - but i understand if you think it makes it less than what a competition print should be. so anyway, here is a larger size: http://s710.photobucket.com/albums/ww108/bonber/ thank you very much for your help. bonnie

Keith_A_Howe
01-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Now that you have them on Photobucket, you can just click the bottom option under the image to copy the "image code". Then when you are typeing your post you can paste that code into your message and the image will show up in your post. http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww108/bonber/KnittedForMyWeddingDayresizePB.jpg
As for all the dark wood, yes it does distract. And Yes Judges will take into consideration the venue of the wedding. Burn in the shadows on her hose to give them more texture without making them look muddy. The whole image can be prited down quite a bit darker as they will be judged under bright lights (100 ISO 1 Sec. F16) if you want to set up a similar lighting in your studio to see it similar to a judging. I think this is a good learning image, you definately will not be embarassed to have entered it. The lighting needs more direction and her pose is a little too straight up and down to move it into the merit catagory in my opinion. Imagine if you had just twisted her shoulders a little to camera right, slid her over and let her lean slightly (not so much she gets round shoulders) against the rail and rolled her slightly onto her left hip. She would have gained more of an hour glass figure. Next if the main light was coming in from camera right you would have sculpted her body and shown more detail in the gown, hose, etc. As it is I would see it scoring in the high average to above average catagory. I like the story with the hose but it needs a title that spells it out (which surprise surprise - I don't have any good ones) something about "My Special hand knit stockings "... ok its hokey but you get the idea.
Keith

bonber
01-22-2009, 04:32 AM
thanks so much for the great commentary and lesson on what to do in the future! you are very generous to share your knowledge and experience with me. i'll make the PP edits and go ahead and enter the image. and...i understand now about photobucket. title - I Knit My Stockings All By Myself Now Take a DANG Picture of THEM!!!!

StaceyDamon
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
title - I Knit My Stockings All By Myself Now Take a DANG Picture of THEM!!!!

NOW that is a title...I am thinking, DANG, she knit her OWN stockings for her wedding-wow!!! LOL

D._Craig_Flory
01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Hi Bonnie;

First off ... I suggest putting © information and your name on images hosted on Photobucket.

As for titles ... I decades ago that titles should be as short as possible. One word titles are great but normally no more than 5 words should be used in a title. The reason for that directly affects your image. Imagine you are a judge. You hear the title announced by the print committee and then the turntable spins around. You are still trying to digest the title and NOW you wonder what the title means and how it relates to the image.

Holly may come up with a super title working in the stockings. But, in the few seconds the panel of judges have it is normally best to go with a title that hits quickly. I will try to draw an analogy: there is an image of a girl with her shoes and socks off and jeans rolled up sitting on the bank of a stream lost in thought at her own private spot. You could call it "Young Girl Sitting On Bank of Stream" OR you could call it "Serenity" or "Solitude". Which do you think would work best in telling the panel what you think your image says to you ?

If you own, or can buy, one of the General Collection or Loan Collection books you can see many terrific uses of titles. When I sit down to title I have #1 Dictionary #2 Billboard Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985. #3 Loan Collection books. & #4 The TV Guide and all give me ideas. While in the Loan Collection look for images by Keith and Holly.

bonber
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM
and she knit the shawl and knit these tiny little "socks" for the rings and knit this long scarf thing that they did a hand-binding ceremony and she knit socks for all the wedding party and for me she knit some mittens with no fingers so that i could wear them when i was shooting outside on a cold day. sweet. i'll keep thinking on the title. i want it to say that the bride is proud of showing off her legs AND all her hard work. she owns her own yarn dyeing business and is quite successful.

D._Craig_Flory
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Hi Bonnie;

I have a terrific idea for you. We just had the annual Pa. Farm Show in Harrisburg and they have a thing called "Sheep to Shawl". then I read about her business. My idea ... try to rent some sheep. Create an image of her in a field making a shawl with the sheep grazing in the image. You could title it "Sheep To Shawl" !

bonber
01-23-2009, 01:44 PM
ok. i admit i laughed at first when i read your post... think up the title THEN create the image. and while you're at it, rent some sheep in the next week and also get the bride to come back to NC with her wedding gown for a portrait session.
BUT even though i won't get that accomplished for this year's competition, i'm pretty sure i can get this done for next year. what a fabulous image that could be!!!! if i am able to make it happen, i'll be sure to post the results.
sheep to shawl. love it.

D._Craig_Flory
01-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Hi Bonnie;

You can come up with many concepts and then work out how to create an image like that. When I read about the dyeing business ... that is what started me thinking. I would not have her in the gown. One other element I didn't mention would be to have a loom in the scene.

Just to get you thinking ... if you knew someone who works in wood using old fashioned tools you could capture the image as they take a plane across the wood as what they planed off comes curling out ... and things they have completed are showing out of focus behind as a backdrop. It is just a matter of keeping a pen & table6 handy for when inspiration hits.

John_Throneburg
01-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Bonnie,

Nice image and idea to show the special stockings. Have you looked at this image in black & white? With the right adjustments, it could really bring out the stockings, make the shawl less noticeable, and overcome any mixed key issues. I think you should definitely consider a bw version!