PDA

View Full Version : Nevada Print Competitions?

vfulcher
01-13-2009, 05:29 AM
I met with a mentor at the Print Exhibition and she recommended I start looking into local competitions. I live in Las Vegas. Any suggestions? I can't seem to find our state chapter of PPA. Thanks for any help I can get.

treasures1
01-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Hi! I'm kinda new here, but I know the states will be in regions so check the chapters of states around you and see if their sites link to their regional PPA site. The regional site will have links to each state site in that region.Of course, someone on here will be from Nevada and be able to help you, but that's just what I can offer- I'm from Texas and Texas is in the Southwest PPA(SWPPA). I googled Texas PPA and SWPPA and found them both easily. Nevada may be playing tricky, though. If you send a print to competition in your region and it earns a seal you can send it to the internat. comp and it is guaranteed a merit- of course you have to be a member of your state chapter to do that.Some of the state liasons are active on the forum so someone will be able to help you. Good luck!

D._Craig_Flory
01-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Hi Vanessa;

It was reported on here, several years ago, that the Nevada group had folded and some photographers were trying to start it up again. I hope you will get with them to help get it going.

In the meantime, the Bay Area California Group has said that Nevada people are welcome there.

Michael_Gan
01-13-2009, 02:29 PM
There was not enough interest in restarting a Nevada group. The last attempt was in the Reno area. Nevada is part of the Western States Region. Washington is hosting Western States this year and is usually in April. Go to http://www.ppw.org/conference09_info.asp for more info.

Cindi_Delaney
01-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Sorry Vanessa,
They are right. There isn't a Nevada group. I live in Mesquite and I joined the IPPA (Intermountain PPA) I travel to Salt Lake for meetings etc.
I wish we had something in S. Nevada.
There is WPPI coming next month in Vegas. Just Google WPPI.

Karen_Linsley
01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
I was a member of the PPN group that folded. We met in Reno (I am about an hour and a half away). I was also the one that briefly explored starting a new group about a year or so ago and honestly, I still want to explore that. I attended the Leadership seminar here at Imaging a couple of days ago and got some good information. I think there will be enough interest, but it will take some energy and committment on my part to educate the folks in this area that there is a need. But this would be a northern Nevada/California group, which doesn't help you much. Michael is right, your next step is go regional, which from Vegas might be in the So Cal area. You might also want to carpool with Cindi. And, now that there are two of you in So. Nevada interested, you might want to explore starting an affiliate there.

Keith_A_Howe
01-15-2009, 03:19 PM
You might look into a different state or local (california has several locals and a state association) or any of your surounding states. You can enter any competition as an out of state entry and get your feet wet. Some associations have out of state awards and some don't, but either way you can advertise your entries and ribbon placings. Competition is an excellant learning experience and it is even better if you can attend the judging, don't be afraid to ask the judges what was good and what needs improvment before you try again.
Good Luck
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Hi Vanessa;

Along with what Keith said ... Pennsylvania allows out of state entries in our annual competition. Our convention, and print competition, is in April. Last year the entry fee for out of state was $60.00. Our web site is www.ppaofpa.org so you can see the dates. The print rules for 2009 are not yet on-line.

Michael_Gan
01-16-2009, 01:53 AM
California will have its state competition in February, complete with critiques. This would be a great warm up for Western States in April. Go to www.prophotoca.com for more information.

samgardnermcr
02-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Hello,
Well, just as my friend Michael Gan says... Western States is the home region for Nevada PPA members to enter prints for a "seal of approval". If you have any questions at all about entering at regionals, please feel free to contact the regional Salon Chair - sam@samgardnerphotography.com.
I live in Washington State and we are the host this year for Western States Regional judging. thanks! Sam

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2009, 05:14 PM
FWIW,
Sam is an affiliate juror. Let's hope we can get him to comment on prints in this competition thread.

Keith

Michael_Gan
02-10-2009, 06:38 PM
I like it when I have friends :D