PDA

View Full Version : Advice for those seeking thier certification

Kelly_Dobson
01-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I was asked by a few folks on how I handled selecting my images for the certification image review...it was tough but here is what I DIDN'T enter (I played it very safe):
1. No images with crooked/diagonal horizon lines....in my 'ocd' world, lines need to be straight anyway.
2. No portraits shot with a wide lens...as a rule I rarely shoot a portrait without my 85-200mm lens, I just love compression! As I was selecting my portraits I was (seriously) asking myself 'what would Monte say?' It worked!
3. No personal work, the judges want to see what you are doing for your
clients specifically.
4. I did not enter a single image that was not retouched....we are imperfect beings in an imperfect world, we all need some retouching.
5. I did not enter an image with flat lighting....my guess is that the judges wanted to see my lighting skills...if it was shot with on-camera flash it didn't make the cut.

And finally, I did not enter an image that I had doubts about. I used the certification gallery to get comments on my images and either corrected them or cut them completely. The comment gallery is a great resource..use it! Don't take the criticisms personally just use the advice.

Hope this helps!

StaceyDamon
01-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Thank you for this post Kelly(and congrats on the CPP)! I am studying now for the test in April and trying to choose images is painful...really, lol...PAINFUL!!!

Michael_Gan
01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Good job Kelly! ...check's in the mail...;)

Rose_Mary_Cheek
01-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks Kelly, I'm taking the test next week, and we're suppose to bring a
CD of images, so I'll keep what you have written in mind as I go through my images.

and Congrats!!

Rose Mary

ChrisGrandell
01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
...I'm taking the test next week, and we're suppose to bring a
CD of images...

This is news to me, I thought that the test and the image submission were done separately. Can anybody confirm this for me?