PDA

View Full Version : New to PPA...Question about uploading prints here for CC

distracted
12-26-2008, 03:12 PM
I see that other members do upload prints for CC. I am trying rather late in the game to choose 4 prints for the Mid-East States print competition. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to post them here for CC? Meaning that could it hurt me in any way?

And how/where do I changed my profile to reflect my real name as opposed to my screen name?

Marc_Benjamin
12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Hi Beth,

Ahhh, I know the print comp cycles starting again...

Anyways, I don't think of any reason that posting up here could "hurt" you. The only thing is if a judge sees it here already then realizes it which would prompt him to ask for an alternate. I actually think this is a good thing since here, we have loads of time to look and of course given enough time the score tends to go down.

Anyways, good luck to ya and hope to see you're stuff soon.

PS. Due to the size/dimension limitations, it's best not to upload, rather just insert an image which is already hosted somewhere else.

Keith_A_Howe
12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
and of course given enough time the score tends to go down.

I wouldn't agree with that Marc, have you ever seen a high 90's or even a 100 score print be judged? It takes a lot of serious consideration to get to that score. Most judges want to be sure that a high score really means something. We tend to take a lot of time to make sure we aren't missing anything and we are giving those high scores only to prints that really deserve them. Low scoring prints, not always but generally, can be evaluated a little faster. In fact the "oldwivestalestatedasgospeltruth" theory that I most often hear is that the longer the time between the print spinning around and the score being announced, the higher that score. That isn't always true either.

Beth, Marc is right though about there being no problem with you posting potential competition images here. If a judge happens to see it and know you are the maker, they just DQ themselves when your print comes up during judging. There is is stigma against a print if some judge DQ's themself, so it doesn't hurt your score in any way. The only time I would tell someone NOT to post an image on here for prejudging feedback is if they had something so unique, different or innovative they wanted to hold off on sharing it until it was actually entered. But like that saying goes, there is nothing new under the sun, so it would be very rare that anyone would have anything that had never been seen before.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
12-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Hi Beth;

For those in a state outside our regional ... here is the website for the Kentucky Association. http://www.kyppa.com/

It has been held in Ohio, in March, for practically forever. The convention shifts to Kentucky this year and is in late January. So, Beth has to get opinions and get her images printed soon.

Post away Beth. I am sure you will have enough suggestions and opinions to help you narrow down to four for a case. Good luck

distracted
12-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks! I will try and get something up later today or tomorrow.

It is a learning experience for sure. I sat in on a good part of our fall conference judging and many times I couldn't understand why the judges liked what they did. It was pretty easy to see the ones that would not score well right away, and why, but there were more than a few that I didn't care for at all that did merit.

I can't wait for any input on my images. Thanks in advance!

Keith_A_Howe
12-27-2008, 02:46 PM
It is a learning experience for sure. I sat in on a good part of our fall conference judging and many times I couldn't understand why the judges liked what they did. It was pretty easy to see the ones that would not score well right away, and why, but there were more than a few that I didn't care for at all that did merit.

Beth
You might want to read over the 12 elements of a merit image. http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php
These are the guidelines that judges use when scoring images. It is not a case of once you read it you have all the answers but it will help with the critiques.

Are you going to Imageing USA in Phoenix in Jan? If so there is a print mentoring workshop put on by PEC (print exhibition committee). This is a chance to sign up for one on one time with a judge where you can bring in 10 or so images for CC. It is an excellant way to improve your potential competition images or your daily work for those not interested in comp.

Looking forward to seeing your images. Keith