PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about paying extra for CPP exam

treasures1
12-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Hi! I just joined PPA this year, but I want to take the CPP test- in June here in Texas, maybe. Since I am an aspiring member I think I have to upgrade or pay a bigger entrance fee for the test. I'm pretty sure I can pass the written test, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get around the bigger fee other than waiting two more years for my membership to upgrade to active.Should I just wait two more years to take the test? I'm wanting to put myself a little above my competition here since we only have 2 CPPs in our area. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

Michael_Gan
12-23-2008, 04:43 AM
Since you are a member of PPA, your app fee should be $100. Is there any other documentation you recieived that says you have to pay more?

Rick_Massarini
12-23-2008, 05:41 AM
... I am an aspiring member... I'm wondering if there's a way to get around the bigger fee other than waiting two more years for my membership to upgrade to active...

Michael - she is an aspiring member, not an active member

Kesha - there is no requirement for you to stay an aspiring member for 2 years before upgrading to an active member. If you qualify for active membership, you can change your classification any time you wish - just because you signed on as an aspiring member, if your business has now gone full time, you can upgrade to active membership right now (of course, it'll cost you a little bit more for active dues).

Maybe one of our state CPP liasons could comment on whether an aspiring member can apply for certification and if so, if there is a different fee for an aspiring vs an active member...

Michael_Gan
12-23-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm not sure if the liaison would know this. I am a liaison for California and I'm not quite clear about this. Let me look into this, but as far as I know, there isn't any difference between the aspiring and the active where certification is concerned.

Cassandra_Sullivan
12-23-2008, 01:19 PM
In order to be a CPP, you can't be an aspiring member, so you need to upgrade to regular active member once you pass both CPP requirements. That's what I had to do.

Heather_L._Smith
12-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Cassandra is right.

(excerpt from the actual application for CPP)

Membership Status:
Please indicate your current membership status:
r Non- Member of any partner organization
r PPA Professional Active or Additional Associate Member
r PPA Aspiring Member (must upgrade before becoming Certified or pay non-member fee).
r SEP Member
r CPI Member

D._Craig_Flory
12-23-2008, 02:33 PM
In order to be a CPP, you can't be an aspiring member, so you need to upgrade to regular active member once you pass both CPP requirements. That's what I had to do.

Hi Cassandra;

That is partly correct. You actually don't have to be a member of PPA, at all, but the exam is then $500.00 .

George_Hawkins
12-24-2008, 01:53 AM
One used to have to be in business two years. Is that no longer?

treasures1
01-01-2009, 12:31 AM
I guess that's what I'm wondering, too- CAN I upgrade to active and take the test having only been a member for less than two years- and does that mean actually how long I've been a PPA member or selling prints for money? And if I don't pass am I sent back to aspiring or what? I'm not saying I'm ready yet- but I just don't want any crazy surprises once I am.

Keely_Deuschle
01-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Kesha,

You can take the test and submit images as an Aspiring member, but you won't be able to have the CPP designation until you are a Professional member. So, you can choose to stay as Aspiring, take all the necessary steps to become a CPP and once you've passed both parts, upgrade your membership. When I became a CPP last year, I had only been a PPA member for just a month or two more than a year.

Hope this helps!

Keely

KirkDarling
01-01-2009, 04:42 PM
The requirements listed at the Professional Photographic Certification Commission website are the only requirements, period. http://www.certifiedphotographer.com/

PPA full membership gets you a substantial, not-to-be-sniffed-at discount, but no form of PPA membership is a requirement for certification.

Michael_Gan
01-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Ah Kirk, we were hoping you'd chime in...

I think the question is, "Is the aspiring PPA membership classification considered a full membership?".

KirkDarling
01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I've seen it documented--I know it used to be in the PPA membership package--that the membership privilege for CPP purposes was for full members only, not aspiring members.

That is logical--it would counterlogical for a self-identified aspiring professional photographer to be a certified professional photographer.

Michael_Gan
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Which can come to this: She passes certification as an aspiring by paying the full application. She would still be aspiring.

KirkDarling
01-02-2009, 01:08 AM
Which can come to this: She passes certification as an aspiring by paying the full application. She would still be aspiring.

Yes, but PPA would not have organizationally underwritten it.

Gene_Paltrineri
01-02-2009, 02:23 AM
One does not have to be a PPA member to become Certified Professional Photographer. It used to be called PPA Certified, but they have gone to an independent agency to expand the program to other Professional photographic organizations, like SEP and CPI, so that more professionals, in the industry can become "Certified" and give the title more credibility.

I agree that it is counter intuitive to classify oneself as an "Aspiring" Professional and a "Certified" professional at the same time.

The Aspiring category, at the reduced membership fee of $194, is limited to NEW/"entry level" members and for only two years maximum. One does not have to remain in that category for two years. One can upgrade to "Professional" any time by simply paying the full membership fee of $323.

So in this case, it would be more cost effective to upgrade to full membership, assuming one can pass the written exam and have adequate images to submit.

Good luck!

Rick_Massarini
01-02-2009, 06:24 AM
I agree that it is counter intuitive to classify oneself as an "Aspiring" Professional and a "Certified" professional at the same time...

So in this case, it would be more cost effective to upgrade to full membership, assuming one can pass the written exam and have adequate images to submit.

Good luck!

There's more to it than just the few dollars difference in the cost of the membership. An "aspiring" photographer is one who is not full time employed in the business of photography but hopes to one day become a professional. A professional makes his living in the business. An aspiring photographer should not be upgrading their membership to full active status until they meet the business requirements of being an active professional photographer and making their living as a professional photographer. Just because an aspiring member pays PPA an additional $100 does not make them a true professional.

Just my opinion, but an aspiring photographer being given the classification of CPP (Certified Professional Photographer) seems to be an oxymoron... How can you become Certified as being a Professional when you are Aspiring to become a part of the Profession.

Gene_Paltrineri
01-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Rick,
I agree philisophically with what you are saying 100%,
but the membership categories are "Professional Active" and "Aspiring Photographer". There are no requirements as to "meeting business requirements" in the Professional Active category. If being "full time" or "making a living" were a criteria, I would suspect that the numbers of members in PPA in the Professional Active category would be considerably lower.
In NH we have approximately 200 members in our Association. Many are "Professional Active" members of PPA. I doubt that there are more than a dozen who work "full time" and make a majority of their income from photography. I suspect that this is also true in other States.

With the current economy, our industry has had a tremendous influx (at least we have locally) of "part time" photographers, doing weddings and portraits to "make ends meet". Some are very good, better than some "full time" photographers, and some are not at camera club level.

There are business requirements to becoming "Certified", as there should be.
The Certification program is one method that the public can differentiate between photographers. For that reason I encourage everyone who can qualify, to become Certified. The more times the public sees the credential, the more credibility it has.

treasures1
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I can certainly see this is a hot issue- as far as meeting the criteria of active professional: I do not make enough money to live on from photography- it's all secondary to what my husband makes. However, ALL the money I make is from photography. Also, I am "part time" because I have 3 kids to take care of, but if I total it all up- I'm sure I spend almost 40 hours with photo related work.
I agree I should not still be aspiring when I take the exam- that is an oxymoron, but I was mainly wondering if I would have to pay the non member price and still be aspiring.
I think it makes more sense to upgrade to active and then take the test. I was hoping to take the test in June here in Texas, but just realized we won't be in Texas in June- so maybe next year.
I am also gathering my 20 images and making corrections that are suggested.
Do you think there is any problem with me upgrading when my dues come up? I don't want to be the little wanna- be active that doesn't really belong there. :)