PDA

View Full Version : Up late. . . please cc

treasures1
12-20-2008, 07:14 AM
I was up late trying to make a folder with possible print images. I'd like some cc on this one- bring it on- I can take it. I was thinking of calling it "Whatever it is I didn't do it. "

Thanks in advance for tearing my picture apart! :)

SharpShooter
12-20-2008, 02:49 PM
What cookies are you referring to??? Great capture!

D._Craig_Flory
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi Kesha;

One day soon it will all click for you. On this image, there are a lot of issues including stray hair, catch lights and more. If I were judging, I'd give it a score in the low 70's. I'm posting how I see it so you can see all the changes I made. The biggest is flipping it. Our eyes go left to right and by flipping it the lighting in your image is now coming from the left plus he is now also looking left. I made the subject layer much smaller to keep the size aspect of him being a child. ("Kids Need Room to Grow") Remember that this would be a 20 x 16" in competition and how big the head would be. With changes I could see it now scoring in the mid 70's. I hope this helps you. (But ... the PPA General and Loan Collection Books will still be your biggest help)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/KeshaChild.jpg

treasures1
12-21-2008, 01:07 AM
I had already flipped this picture- so I guess I should have left it alone. I really like the way the eyes look. What exactly did you do to them?

I like all the feedback I can get- I'm a perfectionist you know. This is my son testing out my lights- not an actual shoot. Thanks for fixing his hair.

I might actually be happy with mid 70s my first time out.( gotta love us newbies.) I ordered a showcase book, but it will be a while before it's here.

If Keith comes on I know he'll have a ton of very bad (which is great) things to say- but I'd like to point out that I made sure the key matched this time.:)

Anyone else?
I love input on all the aspects. How can I be better?

Keith_A_Howe
12-23-2008, 04:33 AM
If Keith comes on I know he'll have a ton of very bad (which is great) things to say- but I'd like to point out that I made sure the key matched this time.:)

Keshia
Sorry, I don't mean to be too negative. . . First I do like it flipped as DCraig shows and how he made sure the catchlights were from the main light and placed correctly. I would like to have had you fix his shirt (the biggest issue with this image) , just takes a couple of seconds and makes a world of difference. I am seeing some distortion (head size to shoulders) that is compounded by the slouched body position. If I were working this image up for competition, I would crop horz. into his forhead still showing some of his bangs. The bottom would be where DCraigs version is at. One edge would crop into his hair just a bit on the shadow side of his face and the other edge one the highlight side of the face would be clear to the edge of your orginal presentation.
Lighting could be improved a bit. You have a split light here, I would have liked to see the main light come a bit closer to camera so that there was a little highlight on the cheek on the shadow side of the face to add demension. Usually a split light pattern is used with more contrast to add drama to your subject or for very round faced people to help slenderize them.

I see improvement from the others, Keep them coming.
Keith

treasures1
12-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Keith- you aren't too negative- I really appreciate all the feedback! The images I have now I wouldn't really submit- I just like to see all the ways different types of images need to be fixed. It helps me learn so that when I am ready I can put all the different aspects together in one image that can pass the test!

Like I realize that sometimes I am too concerned with other things to take the time and straighten hair or a shirt or ask someone to bend their elbow or whatever. I am getting a little better at seeing these things before the capture thanks to you guys.

This picture was taken before the tips you gave me on lighting so my next ones should be much better. This was never intended for anything, and I had to crop a giant dinosaur from his shirt, but next time I will take the time to straighten the clothing a little. Have a great holiday season!

Rick_Massarini
12-23-2008, 05:44 AM
One tip I can give you, and this is a tip that was taught to me in 1980 by Frank Cricchio...

When you're doing a portrait, and the subject is in front of your camera, and everything is ready to go, you have the lighting set up, the pose where you want it, and everything looks good - go ahead and hit the shutter the first time - just to be sure that you have that expression on film - then - shift into judging mode, imagine your viewfinder is a print, and just take a couple of seconds and let your eye wander around the viewfinder and see where it lands. If it lands squarely on the subject's face and you don't see any distractions, then you're good to go to explore another expression, but, if while your eye is wandering for those couple of seconds, it lands on something distracting, go ahead and fix it right then and there. It'll save you a ton of time and money in retouching (years ago, you had to pay a retoucher) - now, you're saving yourself time by fixing it before you capture it. If you put yourself into a judging mode of thought, and look at how it might be looked at in a print competition, you'll find the quality of your regular client work take a quantum leap upwards. Then again, just because you do that doesn't mean that everything you capture will be merit quality, but that couple of seconds pause will help you to create a higher number of salable captures right out of the camera without having to fix stuff after the fact that you should have caught while you were doing the actual shoot. No one notices the extra couple of seconds before the shutter trips, but everyone will notice the improvement in the overall quality of your work...

Just my opinion - hey, it works for me !!!

Heather_L._Smith
12-23-2008, 04:58 PM
This was never intended for anything, and I had to crop a giant dinosaur from his shirt, but next time I will take the time to straighten the clothing a little.

Since this is your own little munchkin, next time, try dressing him to the nines first - get him all decked out and THEN set him in front of the camera. You never know, you might end up with a great competition print that you don't have to crop a dinosaur out of. If you start with a well appointed subject, you'll probably enjoy your final product better and you can focus on other critical things (not the big bold print on the front of the t-shirt). Think of it as a dress rehearsal.

treasures1
12-28-2008, 03:28 AM
Thanks everyone! Heather- that sounds like exactly what I will do next time. I'll dress up the kiddos and see what I get. They might think it's fun. Also- maybe I should stop buying clothes with gigantic dinos on the front. ( poor kid).

Rick- that was a great tip you passed on from Cricchio. He is from my area of Texas, but I didn't know much about him. Every time I said Beaumont Texas someone would say- "Oh you have Frank Cricchio there. " Anyway, I did some research and found some materials by him. I'm going to keep digging and see what I can find. It's very humbling to be struggling for my first merit when you see a guy that reached 1,000. Wow! Anyway- thanks again!Hope you all had a great Christmas!

Rick_Massarini
12-28-2008, 04:01 AM
Frank hit the 1000 merit mark about 8 or 9 years ago. He's well past that mark now. If you're interested in studying with him, Frank Cricchio and Don Emmerich will be teaching a week long class again this year at the Texas School. If you need more info, drop me a PM, and I'll get Don Dickson or Cindy (McKanna) Romaguera to send you some information.

treasures1
12-28-2008, 08:49 PM
I would love to do the Texas school- but I can't leave the kiddos for that long yet. I have talked to Doug Box about some of his weekend workshops and will eventually make it to the Texas school. I'm finding so may great resources so close. Thanks again for all the help!