PDA

View Full Version : Critique & Suggestions for Competition Prints

edwardwestwood
12-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ed

Keith_A_Howe
12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I like both of these images very much. The sink image breaks about every "rule" but is a prime example of why rules are meant to be broken. There is something compelling about it that makes me want to keep looking at it. When a judge wants to keep looking it usually means a higher score. The sculpture is one of those that some might suggest flipping but something told me it was not the right choice for this image. So I tried it to check myself and I was right. It is better the way it is even though it defies the conventional idea of reading in from left to right. It is because of the shapes in the background draw you into the head as it is. if you flip it those shapes instead pull you out. It is a mix of keys but the light ad dark ares are so nicely balanced with so many subtle shades of gray in between - again a rule is broken with great success. I would suggest a couple small things. Try making the background area of the sink image a darker or duller shade of aqua. I am concerned that in the actual print it may be a little too bright. As an option try making that whole area a light gray and print it on watercolor paper. Don't know if I would like that until I tried it. On the sculpture make the stroke finer and try a shade of gray rather then white. Right now it draws too much attention. I asked Holly for title suggestions. These came to her immediately which is usually a good sign. For the sink image "Going Nowhere" and for the sculpture "Work In Progress". I see you are a new poster and so you probably don't know that I don't say this very often, but I think you will do well with these two images and be pleased with your scores.

edwardwestwood
12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you for the comments. It seems I struggle with "matting" and titles when it comes to competition prints. I love "Work in Progress" for the sculpture. I was thinking "The Disconnect" for the sink, but "Going Nowhere" seems to work. I'll have to think about it. I will take your suggestions about the matting (sorry, I use to do a lot of custom framing) or backgrounds and play around with them some more. I tend to make my mats on the bright side, I'm wondering if that has hurt me in the past. This is a big year for me. I need just 2 more print merits for my Masters. I am hoping these 2 photographs help put me "over the top"!

Thanks again

Ed

DianeDavis
12-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Thank you for the comments. I was thinking "The Disconnect" for the sink, but "Going Nowhere" seems to work. I'll have to think about it.
Ed

I know you are new here, but you should know that Holly has a very HIGH success rate with names. Take advantage of her! :D

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Hi Ed,

Ok, I'm not one to give too much advise since I am always asking for it myself, but I LOVE the sink. And Holly's title 'going nowhere' is perfect. Keith is so right. My first thought was, it's a sink....so....but I found myself looking at it and looking. I hope it does well for you. Good luck! Tiff