PDA

View Full Version : What will make these better?

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-19-2008, 02:01 AM
I had entered this one in regional and did ok with it...made the changes that were suggested, but not sure if I am there....Any suggestions on what would make this one better....'Mirror of days gone by'

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/fallpice1.jpg

This one scored 87, would have done better, but I accidentally had it sprayed lustre...habbit....I didn't get any feedback on what would make it better. Had titled it 'Back in Black', after the ACDC hit, but that didn't go over very well and didn't help the score. Is there anything that I can do to help this image....Thinking of renaming it 'Sir Brik'...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/Brike.jpg

This one I took yesterday morning with my point and shoot....I didn't really think too much of it, but I sent it to a photographer/judge friend just to show him the pretty snow and he just loved it. Thought it would do well in comp. Any thoughts on this one and what I can do to help it. Thinking of 'Ethereal Bridge'

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/comp2-1.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts.

Tiffany

Chris_Padgett
12-19-2008, 02:18 AM
Tiffany-I'll give you my $.02.

I'll start off by saying I think all three are strong images and well done.

The first image I think is the weakest. The title suggest I should focus on the reflection but my eyes end up searching the entire image never really settling on a focal point. Maybe some burning of the sky and light areas of the reflection?

The second is awesome!!!!!!!! The only thing you might look at doing is flipping it and see what it looks like.

The third is a great capture and I like the treatment you've given it. Might look at flipping it too. Not sure about the title, but I'm not very good at those.

Not much help, but that's my input.

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-19-2008, 03:01 AM
Not much help, but that's my input.

See, now that is where you are wrong...it was a great help. I can never remember to think about flipping an image. But it really makes a big difference with this image...

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/bridge.jpg

The path is now leading into the image and not out. I'm still open for more suggestions though.

I'll work on the other ones tomorrow. I get what you mean with the first one too.

I go past this everyday so it is rather odd to see it flipped....

Thanks so much, Tiffany

treasures1
12-19-2008, 05:52 AM
I love the picture of the dog! May I ask how you are lighting that? I have been having trouble with black on black in my studio, ie dark hair on black. Yours looks amazing! Congrats on your scores!

And jmo's (from a very inexperienced photog) I like the 3rd image flipped. I also was wondering if you could change the color of something in the first image- something small that would pop out and say " Look Here! " Like a door or something- just a thought.

D._Craig_Flory
12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi Tiffany;

I love #1 but echo that there is no focal point - no center of interest.
And, I agree that the covered bridge is a lot better flipped ... gorgeous !!!
But, I would also flip the dog image. Now, he is looking out the right side. Here is how I see it, with my title idea of "Nobody Loves Me".

D._Craig_Flory
12-19-2008, 01:31 PM
I love the picture of the dog! May I ask how you are lighting that? I have been having trouble with black on black in my studio, ie dark hair on black. Yours looks amazing! Congrats on your scores!

And jmo's (from a very inexperienced photog) I like the 3rd image flipped. I also was wondering if you could change the color of something in the first image- something small that would pop out and say " Look Here! " Like a door or something- just a thought.

Hi Kesha;

Remember that human skin reflects light while animal fur just absorbs it. When lighting people, a normal angle for lighting is 45ยบ. For fur, you need to show the texture so try lighting at more of an angle so you show the texture. Also, try some kicker lights as accent lights for rim lighting.

Keith_A_Howe
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Tiffany
Is it ok with you if I copy and play a little on these?
Keith

Don_Chick
12-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Tiffany, Very nice images!

I really like the dog image, its very well done. If it were mine, I would darken that hi-light on the top of its head a little. My eye keeps going up to that bright area. That's very minor though for a well done image.

Thanks for sharing.

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Keith, be my guest. I appreciate all your input...

Thanks so much for everyone's input. It so helps to have someone else look at them and bring something up that I didn't see or think of. It gives me ideas on how to work on them.

Sincere thanks!

Tiffany

Keith_A_Howe
12-19-2008, 11:45 PM
Tiffany
You ask what could be done to improve these images so here goes:
On the first print - While on some images you will find that the lack of a center of interest works because the entire image becomes the focal point, I do not feel that is the case here. I think the mill is the intended center of interest but it is too weak because of the converging lines from the trees leading in from the upper L and R pull you to the center of the image. This coupled with the lake/bridge line being so close to dividing the print in half makes this a weaker composition. What I suggest is to crop in on the image leaving the sky but cutting off some of the bottom. Then overlay some warm color (I went with a kinda barn red) on the body of the building, the body of the coupala and the reflection but not the roofs (be careful not to color the trees. I burned (midtones) over the whole print going a bit lighter on the building. I dodged highlights on the end of the building to give it a bit more light direction. By burning it down I lessened the distractions of the sky, I know the sky was cool and all but it added to the confusion of the image. The effect you had applied to the image has a tendancy to leave a dark to light to dark feeling around the tree tops (most noticable on the sky by the bottom of the "P" and the tree top above the mill house. Becareful to not make this any stronger. I am posting a before and after so you don't have to scroll back to see it.
Org.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Millorg.jpg
My suggestion
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Mill.jpg

Image of the Dog - Lets see whats wrong with this image. . . My name is not on it!

Acutally I would flip the image, I think is is a bit stronger yet. Then I would make it about 19" tall. Then stretch the left hand bit of the dog (as I have done) to make the image about 15" wide. Center this on your panel with a subtle stroke like you had. If you can I would make the vignette at the bottom just a little less heavy to give a bit more detail in the lower chest area and camera R foreleg.
You said you had entered this in your regional, did you mean your affiliated print judging or a regional portion of your state?
My version
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/LAB.jpg

Winter scene - I like it flipped, I would try to change the red of the covered bridge, it is a bit too bright. Also maybe break it up a bit so it appears to have falling snow between you and the red bridge. I think it would be more in keeping with the rest of the image.

Good Job! You need to find a 4th image to fill your case though.
Keith

Joe_Galioto
12-20-2008, 03:49 PM
tiff,
great job getting the detail in the dog portrait.
we all know how difficult that can be to photograph black dogs.
joe

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-21-2008, 01:49 AM
Keith, Thank You so much for your input on those. I will certainly work on them with your suggestions....I absolutely love what you did with the mirror image. WOW, How I can make that one so much better! Here is the original just for kicks....
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/IMG_0137.jpg

I do like the dog how you show it, but will it being centered and not in a quadrant (do I have that right?) hurt? I do prefer it like you show, but that is just me....It wasn't an affiliate, just the regional portion of the state. No great shakes, but at that judging there was a national judge that was challenging it for an 89. That gave me hope....

I did have the thought of putting snow in the bridge at first...I will play with that...or take another shot of it in the next 4 or 5 days that we actually do have snow. Should be interesting here! I will do the snow thing and see what I come up with.
So here's it's original....
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/IMG_0689.jpg

Don, I did keep coming back to that too and wonder if it would hurt me so I think I will just take care of it. I did do that with something on the side of his face too....here is the original image....
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/Brik-1601w-1.jpg

Joe, thanks...I guess that is why I did it. I was in the studio setting up a for a business portrait and thought I would try something different. Actually did shoot this for comp....My dog that is in the studio with me everyday....It was just me and him and we've only had him for two months so I thought he did rather well...I think he likes getting his pics done.

T

Keith_A_Howe
12-21-2008, 01:48 PM
I do like the dog how you show it, but will it being centered and not in a quadrant (do I have that right?) hurt? I do prefer it like you show, but that is just me....T

Tiffany
Yes you do have that right but it does not always have to be in a quadrant. Remember the rule of thirds, how it applies to a Head and Shoulders Portrait? - The eyes should be aprox 1/3 down from the top of the image. - After all this is a head and shoulders of a Dog. Next - these are guidelines more than rules, they guide you the majority of the time but you can break them any time you want. It is up to you to decide when to follow them and when to break them. In this paticular image I feel like trying to place the head in an intersection (quadrant) makes the image a bit uncomfortable.
Keith

Tiffany_Schmitt
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks Keith, I think I will try it that way...we have prestate judging/critique coming up Jan. 5th and it is just projection, so no loss on printing costs....the only problem I have is that it is just our local judges, they have already seen this print so I don't know how much that will influence what they say. Feb. we have out of state judges coming....

Thanks again for all your help.

T