PDA

View Full Version : Volley Girl

Marc_Benjamin
12-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Looks like next years round for print comps starting again.

Here's one that I've been thinking of for next year and yey, I can do off sizes now!

http://www.kickstep.com/forums/VolleyGirl.jpg

Ok hit me! What say you?

Rebecca_Eastman
12-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't know anything about print competition but I love the image!

Will_Price
12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Good one Marc... could you/can you/want to... blur the ball? Really terrific lighting and impact.

Keith_A_Howe
12-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Marc
I know it is going to sound like I don't like this image which is not the case, it's just that Marc knows the good points and I feel he knows me well enough that I can skip all good points and just move to the weaker elements.

I believe this is a merit image but I do not think it is super strong as it is. I feel that the legs are the brightest area in the image and fight for too much attention. I also feel that the kickers on both sides are equal in power and I would have liked to have seen the back side kicker be a bit lower powered than the frontal kickers. I feel that the biggest problem is the lack of direcional light on her face and the lack of any rim light on her profile above her chin. I know that this is because of her height but it still needs to be there to take it to the next level. Lastly the floor boards look wrong for this image, either put in subtle gym flooring or go with out. I would like to see a little more in front and above her and maybe a bit less below.

I know Will suggested blurring the ball but personally I would not. This image is all about stop action - her - the ball. As it stands there is nothing that screams Photoshop. If you blur the ball it's obvious and it might make some judges wonder what else was faked in PS.

Keith

Will_Price
12-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Keith is correct... I assume she is right handed and is serving, which means the ball has not been hit yet, just tossed.

Marc_Benjamin
12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
http://www.kickstep.com/forums/VolleyGirl2.jpg

I'm still fighting myself over the floor as I'm thinking that it serves as an anchor or at least for scale.

Keith_A_Howe
12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.kickstep.com/forums/VolleyGirl2.jpg

I'm still fighting myself over the floor as I'm thinking that it serves as an anchor or at least for scale. To me it looks out of scale as the floorboards in a gym are about 2.5 inches wide so these look way too wide, not varnished or colored correctly and instead looks like a rustic old building's flooring. I just don't see rustic in this image. But I know what you mean about anchoring the image as well as showing how high she is.
I'm thinking put in a gym floor taken at the same angle and layed over black and then drop the opacity untill it looks right.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
12-16-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm thinking put in a gym floor taken at the same angle and layed over black and then drop the opacity untill it looks right. Keith

Ok, I guess it's time for me to go to the gym. We'll actually everyone's been telling me that for quite some time now. Also, I never really realize that volley ball gears so tight and reflective.

Keith_A_Howe
12-16-2008, 12:19 AM
Also, I never really realize that volley ball gears so tight and reflective.
I thought that's what you liked about it?

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
I thought that's what you liked about it?

Keith

Now this is where it's gonna get really weird and possibly creepy. Me going into the volleyball girls gym with a big camera taking random pictures of the floor.

Heather_L._Smith
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Now this is where it's gonna get really weird and possibly creepy. Me going into the volleyball girls gym with a big camera taking random pictures of the floor.

Nah... they'll just beat you up if you get outta line.

Mark_Levesque
12-16-2008, 02:59 PM
I agree about the floor. This floor definitely does not say gym. Should be pretty easy to add in a real gym floor with the appropriate perspective, but the hard part will be that it will be light colored and thus compete for attention with the subject, so it will need to be toned down. But I think the floor does serve as an anchor for the image so she is not just floating in space.

Marc_Benjamin
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Nah... they'll just beat you up if you get outta line.

I'll probably enjoy that! I'll be like... "Spike me bebe"

KirkDarling
12-17-2008, 12:58 AM
When I first glimpsed the image, the ball struck me as being a full moon.

Do this:

Go out on the next full moon and take a moonscape. Or do a nighttime cityscape.

Then composite that in as the ground.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
12-18-2008, 01:31 AM
I'm diggin' Kirk's idea here! She could be jumping above something significant that is not a floor....

Marc_Benjamin
12-18-2008, 02:51 AM
Really, a skyline jump? I'm thinking it would be cheezy though...

KirkDarling
12-18-2008, 03:14 AM
You've done outdoor volleyball under the net, right? The "angle of incidence error" is that they appear to be above the skyline because you're shooting upward at a steep angle.

Actually, I wouldn't use a cityscape. I'd go out into the country on a moonlit night and shoot a low landscape. It's the moonlighting that would do the trick.

Stewart_Schulze
12-24-2008, 06:30 AM
As a top ranked volleyball official(yes I have to do many things to make a living) can you at least remove her jewelry she would have cost her team a time out. JK! Nice image but the flooring is a bit to large in scale but that is coming from someone who sees about 200 matches a year.
How about making it more real?
http://www.ssphoto.net/digital/VolleyGirl3.jpg

Marc_Benjamin
12-24-2008, 06:34 AM
As a top ranked volleyball official(yes I have to do many things to make a living) can you at least remove her jewelry she would have cost her team a time out. JK! Nice image but the flooring is a bit to large in scale but that is coming from someone who sees about 200 matches a year how about making it more real?
http://www.ssphoto.net/digital/VolleyGirl3.jpg

Nice, btw how come you guys don't have the foot locker referee shirts?