PDA

View Full Version : Need your critique

Carlos_Garcia
12-14-2008, 05:01 AM
I am planning to submit this image for print competition, please give me your critique.
http://www.carlosgarciaphoto.com/test/carlos-garcia-bay-area-003.jpg

treasures1
12-14-2008, 07:42 AM
I am very new here and not at all qualified for cc- and you are a CPP! I love the image. The only thing I might be thinking-as a bride is that I wished my flowers had matched the background a little more. Maybe a warmer color. I'm just thinking that way because my wedding colors were plum and raspberry and the carpet in the church was red- anyway we had to make everything blck and white! That's just a thought, but you'd know better than me anyway- it's a beautiful image!

Carlos_Garcia
12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Hi my friend,
thanks for taking the time to comment on my image.
I tried to visualize the flowers with warmer color, but it would change reality, the bride would say "hey, flowers did not look that way", thats what I think.

Cheri_MacCallum
12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
One quick observation here! The image is tilted just a tad. When we do that, it needs to be really tilted or keep it straight. When it's just a little, it looks like a mistake.

Also, on your Bride's possible comments on changing the bouquet color or any other comments your clients might have...the judges don't have the luxury of knowing things like that nor do they care. Remember they are judging the image as presented to them. Of course leave her bouquet "as is" for her portrait, but print judging is a different ball game. If possible, make whatever changes necessary for the print to do well. Changing the bouquet colors is an easy change that would help a little with the color harmony. The rest of the image is warm and the flowers are cool. It's really not that bad here and I'm just using the bouquet color as an example since it was mentioned, but any extra thing you can do like this helps!

Carlos_Garcia
12-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Cherry,
Things are really making sense now, I need it this extra help. I will keep note on cc's,
"leave her bouquet "as is" for her portrait, but print judging is a different ball game", I like what you just said.

kswelter
12-14-2008, 10:13 PM
The image is very pretty, but the first thing I noticed was the beam on the top was not even with the top of the picture. By any means I do not follow the rules... not even sure I know all of the rules, but it did catch my eye and I was unable to focus on the bride.

Dave_Cisco
12-15-2008, 04:01 AM
She has a figure growing out of her head, and the shadow her right arm throws on her veil is distracting.

Rick_Massarini
12-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Only two comments...

First - I can tell that it is a small church, but that big train on the dress that completely fills up the aisle gives me the impression of a somewhat crowded feel.

Second - and yes, I know this issue has already been addressed but I thought I would interject a thought here...
You mentioned that you kept the color of the bouquet correct since that is the actual way it looked - but you have an unnatural color on the background of the church caused by the ambient tungsten lighting shifting the color balance to the yellow side. If you were trying to keep things looking natural, then the background coloration should be corrected to match the color of the strobe lighting on the bride (Yeah, I know - I do weddings all the time and I get the same color color shift caused by the tungsten ambient - but this comment is based on your reality basis for the color of the flowers - and I couldn't help but comment since I do a lot of commercial illustrations where the color has to be dead on.;))

Keith_A_Howe
12-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Carlos
This is a nice image and there are several good things going on but to me everyone is missing the main issue here. The brightest area in the image is below the brides right elbow. It is good that you have her back lit to bring out the veil and to add depth to the image but the back light is too low and a little bit too strong. It needs to be behind her head more to not only backlight her veil but to rim out her face and bust more. Pull her hair off her shoulder so she has a neck. Then bring the main light from camera left a long way around to short light her face as well as add detail to the bodice of the dress.
Personally I like the warmth of the background and I probably would warm up the entire image just a bit more as well.
JMO's
Keith

Carlos_Garcia
12-16-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all the comments! Well, there are so many things to take in consideration for a competition image. I learned something new with all replies.
I made some changes to this image just for myself, I will make a wall portrait for display at my studio.

BEFORE
http://WWW.carlosgarciaphoto.com/test/carlos-garcia-bay-area-003.jpg

AFTER SOME CHANGES

http://WWW.carlosgarciaphoto.com/test/carlos-garcia-bay-area-004.jpg

Thanks everybody!

Marc_Benjamin
12-16-2008, 01:49 AM
Carlos, it still looks tilted to the left. On PS run a guide and straighten out.

To me, it's a clean image with ok tonal values. She's a little hunched but next time you'll see that.

If you're not a member yet, look up PPGBA.com, they're the SF PPA group and you'll learn a lot about comp in real life.

Take care.

Rick_Massarini
12-16-2008, 02:42 AM
Carlos,
Please don't take my comment about the background coloration the wrong way - I like the gold color of the background - and in fact, I usually leave my "in-church" backgrounds a bit on the warm side - kind of a remenescence of the old film days when in-church candids tended to look warm - my point was based on your statement about the bride remarking about the color of the bouquet being correct. Not always is the true color the best color.

Carlos_Garcia
12-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Got it.
Thanks for taking the time to comment:)

PhotogCraig
12-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Your fix did make a good improvement.

Others had mentioned the same things I would have talked about so no need to go over those same points again.

For compatition, making images that the judges have seen time and time again is something to try to avoid if possible because you get judged according to many other attempts, and unless you nailed it perfect you might not score as good as you would have hoped.

That does not mean it would not score enough to score a merit, I think a print judge would have to see it in real time in print to really judge it properly.

Keith_A_Howe
12-16-2008, 02:02 PM
For compatition, making images that the judges have seen time and time again is something to try to avoid if possible because you get judged according to many other attempts, and unless you nailed it perfect you might not score as good as you would have hoped.

I know what you are saying here but the interpetation is not quite right. One image is never compared to another for scoring. What happens is when a particular subject, pose, effect or whatever, is brand new, it naturally gains impact because it is new and different. Once that style or concept shows up commanly in print competition it is no longer unique - so it doesn't have that uniqueness factor to help it create impact. So it has to create impact in another way - perhaps incredible technique, maybe exceptional subject. To get a merit print you don't have to completly knock it out of the ball park on all 12 elements, but it also can't fall apart on any of the 12 either. So if you can't be strong in impact because of a comman subject then you need to be strong in impact because of something else - like I said, technique, maybe color harmony, maybe composition but something else needs to create the wow factor.
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
12-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi Carlos;

I have been waiting to post comments since so many good suggestions / comments have been made for you. One thing I didn't see anyone make was the positioning of her head compositionally ... she is pretty centered. If it were me I'd make the subject layer smaller, and move it right, so she would be close to being on the 3rd quadrant.

Carlos_Garcia
12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Man, so many great suggestions. I really apreciate it for every one who is taking the time to comment.
In this learning process, next time I will keep a better eye for detail, composition, harmony so I can get into print competition and have a more than good score.

PhotogCraig
12-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Don't worry Carlos, next time everyone will just point out what you missed that time.

It may be a while before you get every shot perfect, you and most all of us will still continue to shoot images that are not perfect along with you.

But as time goes on, they will be less major errors and such.