PDA

View Full Version : Experiences with Photoworkshop.com??

Betsy_Finn
03-11-2006, 10:45 AM
I have a trial membership to Photoworkshop.com, which is about to expire. My assignments completed there have not had a chance to be submitted for PPA merit points yet, so I don't know how well this online thing actually works. :rolleyes:

Can anyone who has received merit points from Photoworkshop.com let me know? I'm willing to pay the subscription fee, but I just want to make sure that the transfer of merit points actually happens.

(after posting this, I'm not sure that I put it in the right place -- I apologize -- Where should questions regarding merit points go?)

D._Craig_Flory
03-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Good morning Betsy;

There is only one way to get PPA print merits ... enter the PPA print competition and receive a score of 80 or higher. If someone enters a regional print competition and gets a score of 80 or higher it's automatically a PPA merit as long as they then send it to the national competition. For more information ... go to www.ppa.com and look under print competition for print rules.

If there was a way to get PPA print merits on-line, I doubt if many photographers would pay for prints and pay a print case fee. Please re-check the site you mentioned. Could it be that they have "on-line" merits to give an indication of how an image might do in real competition ? You could also call PPA on Monday and ask. But getting "merits" on a web site and transferring them as PPA print merits is not possible as far as I know. I looked over the site. It looks like PPA supports the site along with many others but it's not exclusively PPA.

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Jack_Reznicki
03-11-2006, 04:04 PM
There is only one way to get PPA print merits ...

Craig,

A clarification.
Photoworkshop.com issues educational merits, like attending an affiliate school or a Super Monday program. Not print merits.
Educational or service merits can be used to get your Craftsman degree.
Print merits aren't required for a Craftsman degree.

Betsy- Photoworkshop.com is legit. Merits, if earned, will be issued.

D._Craig_Flory
03-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Hi Jack;

I knew it couldn't be print merits. So, they are education merits !

For Betsy ... besides the 12 service - education merits ... if you want to go for Master of Photography, you will need 13 print merits. (and you must also be certified 1st). For Craftsman, you will need 12 teaching merits in addition to the education - service merits.

We both learned something .... thanks Jack (if anyone on here never saw Jack's programs ... he has great programs. He spoke here in Pa. and I loved his images)

floryphotog@mindspring.com

Constance_Rawlins
03-11-2006, 07:37 PM
"For Craftsman, you will need 12 teaching merits in addition to the education - service merits."
floryphotog@mindspring.com[/QUOTE]

Hi Craig,
One minor correction again, I think. I tried to verify it on the PPA Website before posting; however; though our website shows you the degrees that PPA offers, there are no details on the requirements. You have to refer to your PPA member handbook which I do not have here at my side or call Marissa at 1-800-786-6277 during normal business hours.
I just recently received my Craftsman Degree in Austin at ImagingUSA 2006. I believe I had to earn a baker's dozen (13) teaching merits in addition to 12 service/education merits.
As a moderator since January and surfing the forum a few times each week, I want to say "THANKS" for all your posts and information you so freely give.

Michael_Gan
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
LOL, I was wondering what you look like, Constance :D

George_Hawkins
03-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Yes, I agree. Such good info on these posts; there is such a strong sharing.
Thanks all.

Please tell me the difference between a moderator, senior member, member, new member, etc.

George Hawkins PPA Certified, Cr. Photog.

Betsy_Finn
03-12-2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks for all the input. I'll get on renewing my membership :) (I had the free trial which recently expired). Are there specific criteria that you have to meet in order to receive merit points, or if you submit a decent image are you pretty likely to qualify? Anyone know?

-----

Please tell me the difference between a moderator, senior member, member, new member, etc.
From what I can tell, it's based on the number of posts you have made as a member -- a new member is someone who has made less than 30 posts, a memeber is someone who has made 30-99 posts, and a senior member is someone who has made 100 or more posts. I was curious about this too, which prompted me to research member status in comparison to the number of posts made. Because I've been technically a member since August 2005, I knew it couldn't be based on the length of time you've been a member. As for a moderator, I'm not sure of their specific capabilities, but typically a moderator has the ability to edit/moderate online forums -- so it is probably along those lines.

Michael_Gan
03-12-2006, 04:40 PM

Hi George,

Moderators are the volunteer "police" in this forum so that things don't get too out of hand.

New Members are you.

Members are those that have posted a certain number on this forum - I'm guessing 50 posts.

Senior members are those of us with no business and lots of time on our hands :D

Michael

D._Craig_Flory
03-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Hi Constance;

I must be getting old. Since I too just got my Craftsman, I knew exactly how many I had needed but typed the wrong amount. Thanks for pointing out my blunder.

Craig

Randy_Brister
03-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Constance is right, it's a minimum of 13 teaching, plus additional merits totalling 25 for the Craftsman. Also, I went from new member to member at 30 posts.

George_Hawkins
03-13-2006, 12:46 AM
Thank you Betsy and Michael!
I wonder why the answer is not in FAQ. Oh well, as it's all quite automated I assume, and quite intertesting. There was a great thread started by Jack Reznicki as I remember he asked about photographic heroes in one's life: extremely interesting. I posted something there and forgot that after seeing in the morning an exhibit of Richard Avedon's before his death, I was very lucky to see exhibit of Annie Libovitz work that afternoon, same day in NYC! We all must keep our eyes & ears open to such exhibits! We should "expose" ourselves to such.

I don't think the audience fully appreciated who the speakers were at a recent Epson Print Academy seminar I went to: Greg Gorman photographer "extraudinair", Jeff Schewe who regularly speaks for Adobe, Graham Nash's partner from Nash Editions but sorry to forget his name, and several others. I am not primarily a printer, but I wanted to be "exposed" to their discussions!

George

Mark_Levesque
03-13-2006, 01:51 AM
What is Photoworkshop.com getting for an "exclusive" membership? They don't seem to have the information out in the open, so I assume they are looking for an arm and a leg.

Betsy_Finn
03-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Mark -- when you try to "log" in to photoworkshop.com, there is where you will find their pricing. When I signed up for my "special" PPA 3 month trial, they were offering the first 3 months of exclusive membership free. Now, it appears that they are offering the first 30 days for $2.00 (for general memberships -- I think PPA still gets you a deal -- try here:http://www.photoworkshop.com/registered/ppa/index.html ).

I know that the special renewal price for PPA members is $89/yr -- and normally it is a lot more. I figure, if I'm doing it for the merit points, it's a good deal, since it would cost me at lesat $100 to attend a PPA C/E seminar in person -- and that only gets me 1 educational merit. This way, I can get up to 6 for under $100. (there are monthly assignments, each worth 1/2 a merit).

Betsy_Finn
03-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Oh, and another question. Any paying members of Photoworkshop.com, this is for you. I'm curious whether you've paid over the internet or by phone. I'm a little wary of paying via internet, as their site is non-SSL certified/secure. Their customer service has assured me that the transmission of my credit card info will be secure -- SSL just secures the access point (basically at your computer when you are entering/submitting the info). That sounds great, but not really assuring enough for me to believe them completely.

KirkDarling
03-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Oh, and another question. Any paying members of Photoworkshop.com, this is for you. I'm curious whether you've paid over the internet or by phone. I'm a little wary of paying via internet, as their site is non-SSL certified/secure. Their customer service has assured me that the transmission of my credit card info will be secure -- SSL just secures the access point (basically at your computer when you are entering/submitting the info). That sounds great, but not really assuring enough for me to believe them completely.

SSL is secure end to end, but it's basic and dirt cheap to implement--I'm surprised anyone asks for confidential information without it.

Betsy_Finn
03-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Yeah, I was suprised too. That's kind of why I figured I'd try to get some second opinions on them.

During my 3 month trial, though, it seemed like they were going a lot of developmental/structural changes though -- they restructured their assignments completely -- new requirements, more details, and only PPA members can upload their images for critique on the main page. Their site still has some work to make it easier on the standard user, but then again, who am I to complain? I know my website needs to be updated badly :o

Betsy_Finn
07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
As an update, Photoworkshop.com now has SSL encryption for paying online. :)

Karen_Lynch
07-13-2006, 04:58 PM
I am still wondering how much it costs? I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Betsy_Finn
07-13-2006, 05:10 PM
PPA members can get a free 3 month trial. After that, it's $89/yr. To get the trial, you don't have to enter credit card info -- just some typical registration info and your PPA ID number.

To participate and receive Education merits, you must have an active PPA or SPS member ID and a membership to photoworkshop.com. We invite PPA members to enjoy a free three month trial membership to photoworkshop.com to experience the site, build your web portfolio and start earn Education Merits. After the trial, PPA receives a special price of only $89 a year to continue receiving merits and being part of photoworkshop.com.
PPA Education Merit Program: Storyteller Assignments (http://www.photoworkshop.com/registered/ppa/index.html). I pulled the quote above from the "how it works" menu link.

Karen_Lynch
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, that's not a bad price at all. Have you learned a lot from participating in it?

Herman_Robert
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
If there was a way to get PPA print merits on-line, I doubt if many photographers would pay for prints and pay a print case fee.

This idea of online submissions for the annual Print Competition seems like a good idea and a nice project for someone to pursue. Imagine the time and money it would save (lab costs, shipping case, case handling, return shipping, etc., if we could submit our entries via online. At least the preliminary submissions could be done this way, then, perhaps... the images chosen for inclusion into the exhibit could be printed and shipped accordingly.

This may warrant a new thread, but thought I'd throw it out there..

HR

Betsy_Finn
07-15-2006, 01:20 AM
as an update -- I tried submitting two images today -- the second one I wasn't able to submit:
Sorry, but you cannot upload twice in PPA assignment in this month Since I was having internet difficulties last month, I am contacting PWS to see whether they are flexible with this rule, how the month is measured (e.g. 1 submission during the month of July or 30 days since your last submission)....

So don't go thinking that you can complete a bunch of assignments at once. Apparently it's better to stay on top of them, (although if you are allowed to "make up" a previous month's assignment, I will update here).

The user interface has gotten a lot better since I was signed up during my trial membership, but there is still some clarification needed on their site -- as those of us with websites know, this is an ongoing process, so patience is in order I suppose :rolleyes:

Jerry_W._Kelley
07-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Betsy,

I rejoined PWS back in Dec. with my three months free. I paid the $89 in March and I've had good experiences there. I find this to a fantastic deal and I hope it continues in the future. By the way, Robert Farber posted on PWS that new changes and improvements will be made beginning Aug. 1st.

I have only entered one of the assignments so far. As I'm not doing any portrait work at this time, other assignments will have to wait for a while longer.

A few times each month I'll make a post about checking out ourppa.com.

Jerry

Keith_Goodman
07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I have been a member of pws for several years. It has gone through some growth pains but overall has been a good learning experience. I find it worth the money especially now with the PPA afiliation.

Keith

Betsy_Finn
08-02-2006, 07:37 PM
...well, my submissions paid off. PWS counted my image submission from my trial period and the one for last month as one education merit and submitted it to PPA. It's seeming like a very nice way to increase my collection of education merits.

So, in conclusion, I'm satisfied with PWS and quite happy the service they're providing :D. I would definitely recommend this to anyone needing education merits, or wanting a way to have monthly photo assignments.

Betsy_Finn
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Is it a standard policy that you can only submit one image per month?
yes, it is ONE a month

Does PWS plan to send notification to members when a merit point is awarded, or will I have to check my merit report through PPA to find this out?

no, PWS doesn’t send any merit announcements out. We are merely offering the assignments on our site.

ChontelleBrown
09-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Betsy-
Have you received your critiques yet? Just wondering how long before I should expect mine?

Also, I am not able to view Jack's lesson. Did you experience the same problem?

Thanks!

Betsy_Finn
09-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Yeah there are still being bugs worked out of the website (not viruses or anything, just kinks).

Try this link: http://www.photoworkshop.com/registered/workshop/ppa/reznicki.html
(sometimes opening the same link in a new window will get you past that pesky video). Notice you have to have registered to view Jack's lession -- PPA members get that 3 months free though....

And no, I haven't received any critique of my images. I'm wondering whether just the "selected" images receive critique..... :rolleyes:

ChontelleBrown
09-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Thanks Betsy. I was able to access the lesson via the link you gave.

Chontelle

Betsy_Finn
05-09-2007, 01:36 PM
An update -- Photoworkshop.com is currently waiting on photographers to submit new lessons. And I'm waiting so that I can continue learning!

I checked with one of the staff about requirements -- and if you've published some books and/or had a number of speaking engagements, we may be able to learn from YOU :). I'll check for more details, but hopefully we have some on here that are interested.

Anyone know if instructors who are PPA members get anything (merit-wise) for contributing? If not, it might be a good incentive.

John_Stein
07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Anyone know what is going on with photoworkshops.com?

I have submitted three lessons over the past three month and have been waiting to be notified that I have recieved a merit. Have emailed them twice asking questions and no response

Betsy_Finn
07-23-2007, 02:56 PM
John,

Photoworkshop.com seems to be undergoing a reconstruction right now. I did not renew my membership this June since they hadn't come out with any new lessons (since I've done them all, kind of pointless -- I told them I'd renew when they released more).

Anyways, half of the time when I received my merits, I never got an actual merit certificate until I notified PPA that my online merit record report showed a merit that I didn't have a certificate for. If you haven't checked the online report for the PWS merit, I'd suggest you do so.

If that doesn't work... email judith@photoworkshop.com and let her know of the issue. She has been decent at replying to my emails for the most part.

Good luck :)

Neil_Cowley
09-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the update - is photoworkshop back??? I saw some of their content the other day and hadn't run into it.

Timothy_Mielke
09-21-2007, 02:22 PM
I know the Photoworkshop site has been confusing. I signed up in March and have submitted 5 or 6 assignments and have NOT received any education merits for them. PWS has sent me the confirmation emails after my submissions, but somehow PPA does not get the results. I have learned much from the lessons and suggestion them to anybody.

Betsy_Finn
09-25-2007, 04:52 AM
I know the Photoworkshop site has been confusing. I signed up in March and have submitted 5 or 6 assignments and have NOT received any education merits for them. PWS has sent me the confirmation emails after my submissions, but somehow PPA does not get the results. I have learned much from the lessons and suggestion them to anybody.
Have you checked with PWS to make sure they have your PPA number entered in their system correctly? I would let them know that PPA hasn't gotten any notice.

Usually what happened for me was that the merit showed up in my merit report (I monitored it), and then I called PPA to request they send me the certificate, as I never received one before requesting it.

John_Stein
09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
It took close to 20 emails to PWS before they finally notified PPA about the two assignments I finished from May and June. I am going through it again because I have just finished another two assignment.

I think that once I get this past merit credited I am going to cancel my membership in PWS.

The assignments are good but for merit purposes it is just not worth the fight to get them credited.

John

Keely_Deuschle
10-14-2007, 09:58 PM
I've been following this discussion as I am a relative new member of PWS. I have been trying to upload my assignments but I keep entering my PPA membership number exactly as it shows on my card and it tells me it's an invalid number. Had this problem before and had to call them up to register for my membership.

Is there a trick for the PPA membership number?

Keely_Deuschle
10-15-2007, 01:33 PM
They fixed their problem and I was able to upload. In their support response, they mentioned:

"We are also in the process now of changing the PPA requirement on the PPA assignment page."

I asked for more information but have not received any yet.

Keely_Deuschle
10-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Their response to my question about the PPA requirement change was that it's a behind the scenes programming on the assignment page that will not require the PPA ID #’s for PPA assignment submissions.