PDA

View Full Version : Missing Loan Print?

Heather_Michelle_Bjoershol
03-10-2006, 11:43 PM
This was my first year competing and having a print go Loan, so I'm not sure if this is a stupid question; bear with me. I received my print case back from last year's competition, and all the prints were in it, but the Loan print. Does PPA keep that for future displays? Or is still touring? Or am I to assume it was lost?
Thanks for any insight :)
Heather

Constance_Rawlins
03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Hi Heather,
Great to see a question from a new friend and portrait artist. Buddy Stewart will have a more thorough reply but he will be assisting with SWPPA this week and SEPPA the next. Congratulations on your loan print!
Loan prints are kept by PPA and are displayed in PPA's traveling loan collection for quite some time. Sometimes they are eventually returned, sometimes they are kept permanently and displayed in the PPA office in Atlanta, Ga.
I would get another print printed for your own display purposes and disply your award with the image.
Keep up the Great Work!
Constance Rawlins, Cr., CPP
McComb, MS
crawlins@cableone.net

Marc_Benjamin
03-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I know the 2006 rules now actually say's that the loan print will be kept.
I wonder if we at least get the "loan" gold corner back with your case?
Mr. Stewart?

Michael_Gan
03-18-2006, 06:53 PM
The loan prints used to always be kept. Sounds like they're reviving the old rule. You do get the corner back with your case.

Michael

D._Craig_Flory
03-18-2006, 08:47 PM
There is a photographer I know, and also studied with who always ordered three of each competition print. The 2nd one was in case one got damaged. The 3rd was for when it went into the Loan Collection !!! (another reason is if your state competition, or a regional, is close to when the PPA competition occurs. You would not have to worry about your other print case getting back in time. Yes ... I do own two print cases )You have to be really good and have lots of confidence to order 3 of every image. I own a bunch of books by him and he was really good. I have no idea where he is, or what happened to him. But if anyone ever sees a seminar with Jerry Pokorny ... sign up right away !!! And if anyone does know his whereabouts, his friends in the PPAofPa would like to know.

Does anyone else order even two, of each competition print, for when it goes "Loan" ?

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog., ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Marc_Benjamin
03-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey Craig,

I'm thinking that I probably spent close to $2k already on multple copies/reprints and re-do's since I started print competition 18 months ago.

I guess I should be a little happy since I got 3/4 this year 88/86/80 at western states and hopefully 4/4 at internationals if I pick the right one to send in place of the non-merit one.

Anyway's, I think that having 2 printed at the same time is a good idea. I've dropped a print the same day of the local competition. Good thing about local is that there is some form of forgiveness for dinged corners.

Also, I might have read something about Jerry Pokorny in the past. Was he the guy that had a print called "mother nature" where a naked woman was blended on a landscape?

Heather_Michelle_Bjoershol
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
Ohhh. Okay. I didn't realize the PPA keeps the print. Competition prints are pricey, but in the end, worth it.
Thanks!
Heather

D._Craig_Flory
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
If you prepare, fully, your images for competition in Photoshop, they don't have to cost a lot. My lab charges less than $20.00 for a 16X20. I also pay for the gator foam mounting and then spray it with high gloss spray in my spray booth. Long gone are the days I paid for a "competition print" to my lab. I get it ready in Photoshop and send it vis ftp over DSL and pay ftp pricing.

Linda_Gregory
03-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Even if you DO have your lab do the digital artwork, you can have them write it to cd for you for future printing. The expensive part will be done and you'll just have the cost of the reprint.

Marc_Benjamin
03-20-2006, 04:47 AM
If you prepare, fully, your images for competition in Photoshop, they don't have to cost a lot. My lab charges less than $20.00 for a 16X20. I also pay for the gator foam mounting and then spray it with high gloss spray in my spray booth.
Hey Craig,

Yep, I've been on that routine from the very beginning. Let's see, the price for print/black gator foam mount/double spray/shipping/tax is about $55. I think that I've already had about 30 comp prints made. Plus I have a true 20x24 PPA (w/Logo) print comp case (do these still even exist), adding entry fees to state and international and postage+ return postage. Hmmm, come to think of it I'm probably over 2K.

This year, now that I'm a little better, I’m probably only gonna make 12-14 comp prints a year. I think that my print competition budget is at 1K (14 x 55 + shipping and entry fees)

Pricey but I'm not complaining...

Jeff_Dachowski
03-27-2006, 12:50 AM
Hey Mark,
Please do yourself a favor and look into another lab. There is no reason to pay more than about $25 for a comp print if you are doing the photoshop work yourself. Also the lab I worl with gets them to you in three or so days, and includes shipping in the cost of the print. This year I printed 9 prints for various comps, and the total bill was $225. Good luck!!
Jeff

Linda_Gregory
03-27-2006, 01:18 AM
I have a lab...some would say I AM the lab. We've done convention prints this year from all gamuts. Scan in the neg, do the artwork as directed, scan in the neg, do the artwork with the photographer at our shoulder, take a digital file, do the artwork as instructed, take a digital file, do the artwork with the photographer at our shoulder, take a digital file, print a test print, take a digital file, print it, mount it, add the finish, take a print, mount it and put the convention finish, help them name them, egad. We have photographers at all stages and that makes it interesting! As stated earlier, we write the printed files to cd for them so they can print it again later but remember, it's usually printed much more cyan than usual so it will be the correct color under the red based convention lights so you may want to add some red when printing for regular light display areas.

Marc_Benjamin
03-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Hey Mark,
Please do yourself a favor and look into another lab. There is no reason to pay more than about $25 for a comp print if you are doing the photoshop work yourself.

My gosh, $25 for a competition print? Man, that sounds like a straight output machine print and mounted.

The thing is, I'm loyal to my lab (Bay Photo), they actually make sure that the paper is balanced before the run and they use a different kind of paper (super duper shiny gloss) for competiton images. Also, they make sure to run a sharpie on the edges.

Anyway's what's your lab? Let me try them out to see if this $25 comp print is any good.

BTW, a lot of my teachers remember when the cost of a comp print was around $250.

D._Craig_Flory
03-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Good morning Da;

Is that your 1st name or is it Dach ? We are all supposed to use a 1st and last name here. (or at least a middle and last name) For an average of $25.00 a print ... you cannot be getting more than a cardboard mountboard. I use black-core gator foam. What does your lab charge for mounting on a good mount material like that ?

CHANGE YOUR NAME !