PDA

View Full Version : trying my first image posts for CC

treasures1
12-09-2008, 05:38 AM
I'd like some feedback on these images, but I'm not sure how to post them so I'm giving it a shot. I'd also love any ideas as far as mats and etc as I don't really feel my talents lie there- I'll have to piggyback off some of you more talented people for that! Thanks- here goes!
Thanks!!
:rolleyes:

Keith_A_Howe
12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Kesha,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on deciding to enter prints. If you haven't entered before I suggest you study the 12 elements of a merit print
http://www.ppa.com/competitions/international/12elements.php

Then I would try to get ahold of some Showcase or loan collection books. They are available for sale from Marathon Press or maybe you can borrow a copy or two from someone in your area. I see you are from Texas so your regional judging was last October. ( I was lucky enough to get to judge there and I can tell you there were some great prints.) But that means your next regional won't be until next October. So seek out some local or state competitions you can attend and observe. The more great images you look at the more you will be inspired to create great images yourself. Good Luck!
Keith

treasures1
12-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for that- does that mean you don't think any of those images are quite right for competition?

D._Craig_Flory
12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi Kesha;

Ok, since you asked. I am first going to digress and echo what you have been advised ... buy one or more of the PPA Loan Collection and / or General Collection books. This will allow you to view what works well in competition. Keep posting & post lots of images. The more you post, the better your understanding will be of what to look for.

Number one ... nice color and contrast. However, the clothes are out of key with the background. It appears like a bride hugging a bridesmaid or possibly her sister. I only see one outfit and it looks like the bride's gown is covering the other woman.

Number two ... there is no focal point. Almost the entire image is lawn and yet the top is cropped down too close.

Number three ... she looks sad. It is too light overall and flat lit. The cropping left too much at the top and at the bottom her legs are amputated. I don't like the tilt either.

I don't know about other states but ... our Pa. group web site has slideshows of blue ribbon winning images to view which will help you.
www.ppaofpa.org

Keith_A_Howe
12-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Kesha,
That depends on your goals and expectations. If you are interested in using competition as a learning tool then these are great learning images. If your expectations are to recieve merits, I feel there will be some challenges with these images reaching that level. There are things that could be done to improve these images, however IMO ( but remember I am just one judge) they would still score in the average range. There's nothing wrong with an average score and that should not keep you from getting your feet wet in competition. I had a good friend who entered for years and was thrilled when he could finally say all four prints hung in the show on the state level. That means he had to score at least a 70 on all 4. If you know much about competition, you know that most photographers are not satisfied with 70's. But for my friend it was a huge achievement because it was a personal goal he finally met. Some people have a goal of not embarassing themselves. Some people are hoping for a few merits. When I choose my entries, my goal is always four loan images. Doesn't mean I can reach that goal - but that's what I am aiming for. So unless I know what your expectations are and what it will take to for you to be satisfied with the whole competition experience, I can't really say if an image is worth entering or not. I took the liberty of playing around with one of your images to show you how it could be made more impactful. I hope that was ok.

Keith

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Normanchair.jpg

treasures1
12-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the CC. It was very helpful. Those first people are actually bellydancers, and they had a ton of great outfits with wonderful colors that worked much better with the background, but for some reason she pulled out that big white veil and flung it around her daughter. I loved their faces, but agree on the key not matching. The second image was taken after a photoshoot- I just thought it was funny how all the random chairs were just left there. I called it- "Where have all the peoplpe gone?" :p It's just for fun, and it's cropped so low because you can see into the neighbors house right above the fence line. Gotta love subdivisions! The last one is my daughter- and she was sad. I grabbed the shot really quick without much thought to composition, so I probably wouldn't shoot for too much with that.

I am deffinately looking for 80 or above eventually, so your comments really helped- I love the reworked version of the chairs. Did you boost the contrast? It looked much better- Thanks