PDA

View Full Version : Great Advanced Workshops?

Todd_Reichman
12-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Hey all,

Does anyone know of some great advanced photography workshops? Something in the range of a few days to a week with alot of emphasis on shooting, technique and analysis of images. Anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

- trr

Don_Chick
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Have you looked at the KAPA website?

http://www.kapaclasses.com/kapaschedule.htm

Todd_Reichman
12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks Don, anyone else wanna chime in? Either for a good program or a good presenter for an intensive shooting workshop?

thanks

- trr

Michael_Gan
12-09-2008, 03:24 AM
I hear that John Paul Caponigro's workshops are pretty intense. Also Dan Burkholder's Platinum printing class. The various afiliated schools around the country have advanced classes such as Texas School, West Coast School and others.

For creative/art inspiration, Joyce Wilson, as well as us do full week workshops.

For business, any time that Ann Monteith is teaching, Bruce Hudson, Sam Puc', and many others can fine tune your business practices.

Michael_Black
12-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Hey all,

Does anyone know of some great advanced photography workshops? Something in the range of a few days to a week with alot of emphasis on shooting, technique and analysis of images. Anyone have any recommendations?

thanks

- trr

Gary Box

http://universityofbox.com/

He is the man. There are a few spots open for the advanced class - end of March.

Todd_Reichman
12-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Anyone know of any good fashion/photojournalism workshops?

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Todd, For the kind of in depth learning experience you are looking for why don't you find someone whose work you really admire and approach them with what they would charge you to work one on one for a couple days? Unless you are looking for the "group" experience I think you might be happier working one to one. I know Mark Benjamin has done just that a couple times. You might pick his brain about it. If I was choosing a wedding expert to study with it would probably be Bambi Cantrell. She has a very fashion look to her work and it isn't "pose-y pose-y". Not only does she have great info to share - she knows how to teach it. Her class is one of the very few I have sat through from start to finish in the last several years.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
12-19-2008, 08:03 PM
I know Mark Benjamin has done just that a couple times. You might pick his brain about it.
Keith

You know I started writing about this a while ago then I lost track due to some silly customer.

Anyways, yeah so that's me, I moved beyond sitting in a group session cause I've been finding that 1. I'm bored, not that I know more than the rest but the pacing is just off 2. I've been honing in on specifics that apply to me at the moment. 3. I don't want to monopolize (there's always one of those jerks in the class) the time with my questions and little quirks that help me understand.

So a few years back, I started doing privates and semi privates (like 6 and under just to cut the cost) with people who I would really really like to learn from, admire or have a total fan boy hero worship to. Also, this works best since it's generally on my schedule.

In my experience, a good starting point is 1k for a private though the approach is up to the individual. Some great teachers will do it for free or a donation to their favorite charity depending on you're approach and how you present yourself. Some won't even give you the light of day unless you corner them at the bar or dinner or something. I guess the chances go up if your likable.

I'd rather not give out specific examples of who on a public board (most can get it out of me at the bar) but there's a lot out there who would take you up on it.

Jack_Reznicki
12-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm doing the Epson Print Academy Track 1. Not what you want, although I do a quick bit on lighting which gets great response.

Track 2, which is what you really want, has Jeff Schewe, JP Caponigro or Mac Holbert, and Andrew Rodney. Sometimes Greg Gorman also comes. They will make your hair hurt. Great stuff about digital.
www.epsonprintacademy.com
We're doing a West Coast swing in February. Seattle, LA, SF.

But the other advice given is good. Small class or one-on-one is great.
Even ImagingUSA can be great if you pick and choose speakers carefully. Sometimes 60 to 90 minute classes help you retain great nuggets of info.
The week long schools like the Texas School are also great, depending on the instructor. Bigger class, but week long classes are good. And economical.

Jay Maisel does a wonderful small class workshop in his famous building/studio. Very inspirational, but it's $5K a student for the week. He'll do 3 to 6 students in a class.

I'll be doing a workshop this coming year with Jimmy DiVitale in his studio in Atlanta and possibly my studio in NY. We're looking at dates now.
Jimmy is also great on his own or with his wife, Helene Glassman.

I'll also be looking at dates for a class with Katrin Eismann in my studio.
I've also done small ones with Joyce Tenneson in my studio. We might try again this year.

Whatever you decide, just "doing it" is always a good way to go. Anything you pick, as long as you go into it full force, you'll have a good learning experience. While the teacher is important, the student's attitude is also critical. We've all seen students who either resist learning or are more worried about showing everyone what they know, rather than trying to absorb the lessons.

George_Hawkins
12-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Ditto on Epson Print Academy.
I attended one several years ago. I heard Jeff, JPC, and I think Nash. Coincidence shortly after attending a summer concert of CSN!

I may look at schedule to see again. Maybe 2/28 in Boston!
George

Jack_Reznicki
12-21-2008, 03:50 AM
I may look at schedule to see again. Maybe 2/28 in Boston!
George

Make sure you stop and say "hey" if you do go.

Yeah, Graham has showed up once in a while in the past.
Wouldn't count on it. Unfortunately, my voice isn't as good :D