PDA

View Full Version : Need help beginning competitions

treasures1
12-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Hi! I've been a PPA member for about 6 months, and a pro photog fr about a year. - I sold stock for a couple years before. I live too far from my local affiliate to attend their monthly print comps and they don't offer a digital send in option. Should I forgo the local/ state comps and just start competing on the national level? I am studying for the certification exam, but probably won't take it until I'm an "ACTIVE" . I don't have any competition experience, and am hoping for some direction. All the merit programs and etc. are so confusing. Like all the different merit subdivisions. I'm afraid I won't even know how to classify my own image for competition. I'm sure all this becomes cleare the more I am involved, but I am overwhelmed right now. Please give me an idea of how to start the competion/ merit program. Thanks!
:o
Kesha Norman, Treasures Photography

Michael_Gan
12-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi Kesha,

Here is a great (but rather long) thread regarding going after the Masters degree from PPA. http://www.ppa.com/community/forums/showthread.php?t=121

This forum is a great place for learning the ins and outs of print competition. Including help for you to improve your images. There are various ways to post your images securely on this forum for critique and comments (CC's) since there are many Master Photographers, National judges, and Certified Photographers on this forum. This has helped many who have been just as remote as you.

You can still enter on the regional level which happens about once a year. Also, if you are a member of your state association, you can enter there as well. You can attend both judgings to see how your images do in comparison to your peers, and this is a good thing.

The merits you will be concerned about will be the Exhibition merits. These are the ones that you will need to attain your Masters. All the other ones are "Service" and "Speaking".

Personally, I would like to see those pursuing their degree to enter images that pertain to their clientele. I know that others don't share my views, but there just seems to be something wrong about Masters telling their portrait clients they are Masters of Photography, when all of their merits were earned in landscapes.

treasures1
12-07-2008, 06:24 PM
I agree about the images pertaining to your clientelle. I know there are such guidelines when submitting images for the CPP requirements. I've seen lots of images posted in the forum. How do I make sure I don't have them appear to small? Thanks for the help- I guess I have lots of years to muddle through all this. ;)

D._Craig_Flory
12-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi Kesha;

I suggest that you look at sending a print case and entering state competitions that allow out of state non-members to compete. I told a member on here and she entered a case of 4 images at our Pa. State Convention Annual Print Competition this year. She did pretty well and was pleased with how she did. But, it is also a step in learning what to choose and how to prepare them. I can't speak for other states. You would have to try contacting other states for their rules and whether, or not, they allow out of state non members to compete. I do know it is allowed here in Pennsylvania. Go to www.ppaofpa.org for info. (you can also watch slide shows of winning and blue ribbon images to get a feel of what judges like.