PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

Valenzuela
12-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I received a lot of great advice the last time I posted... so here we go again. Suggestions please?

Adrian Valenzuela

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/FBfilms/BESTITW2008-82.jpg

Rob_Wilson
12-05-2008, 02:37 PM
I received a lot of great advice the last time I posted... so here we go again. Suggestions please?

Adrian Valenzuela

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/FBfilms/BESTITW2008-82.jpg
I'm not great at CCs but I will give you my first impression. It rocks!

Heather_L._Smith
12-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Hey Adrian! I think you've got a great subject matter here, but I have a couple of concerns. The treatment of the image feels a little heavy handed. I actually had to stop and look at the pants because at first they looked like patent leather, and becuase that's the brightest part of the image, my eyes keep skimming along the calf and thigh line of that back leg. It also appears that there was a lot of burning done on this image (it looks like there's a little halo or something around the leg that is bent), and it almost makes the background hills feel fake. Is this the original crop of this image? I'd love to see him shifted to the right a little bit so he's not quite so centered.

Again, I think you've got a great subject matter here, and some really great opportunities if you can return to the location!

What are you hoping to do with this image? For personal use? Competition? Portfolio? Just for fun?

(oh, and welcome to the forum if I didn't say that before!)

Valenzuela
12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Hey Heather,

Thank you for your suggestions... I overlooked some of the things that you caught... Like the halo around his leg. I have a number of images similar to this that I would like to enter for competition. I'm trying to find the right one... this is just one that I wanted to get a 2nd opinion on. If I gave you a password would you be willing to take a look at my other photographs in this genre?

Adrian Valenzuela
www.adrianvalenzuela.com

Keith_A_Howe
12-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I wanted to give some comments on this image but I just haven't had time before. As a judge when we see this amount of effect or technique we ask ourselves if it enhances the image. Does it perpetuate what the maker is trying to say or add to the artistic impact in any way. I am having a challenge understanding how this particular choice of technique tells me anything more or adds any impact to this image. The background has gone muddy and I have lost a lot of detail in the shadow areas of the subject. So as a judge when I see effect or technique that does not enhance an image then it seems like it was used to hide a problem - like exposure, sharpness etc. Technique for it's own sake is never a good idea in competition. It is an element that is completely within the photographers control, so we have to ask ourselves if it was a good choice. The next challenge is I am not seeing enough of the surrounding area to understand why we have a soldier standing around in a relaxed casual pose. I do see the other police officer/soldier in the background croched down like he is firing or being fired upon. So if that's the situation then I ask myself why is this guy just hanging out, gun down at his side? Shouldn't he be also on alert? I assume this was some sort of training session - which explains why one guy is actively involved and one guy is observing - but then what story are you trying to tell here? What I see in front of me is a picture of the back of someone's uniform with a whole lot of technique applied. The cropping and composition is more like a catolgue illustration than an editorial or storytelling image. What am I suppose to understand here? I get nothing about this soldier or this situation.

That being said - I went to your website. Perhaps the strongest competition image would be the one of the soldiers lined up in the field - looks like infared sorta effect. There the effect adds to the story. The stark and harsh reality of combat yadda yadda. the main challenge with that particular image will be the shadows on the faces.
Keith

Valenzuela
12-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Thank you Keith,

You know I thought the same thing about his casual pose and the officer in front still in combat. This was during a competition and the guy in the foreground and finished firing... kind of a relay race. Your right... it doesnt make sense. Could you take a look at my other photos if I give you the password to that event?

Keith_A_Howe
12-11-2008, 01:57 PM
I would be glad to take a look but it might be next week before I can get to it. I have a busy couple days in the studio and then i am going out of town for a couple days.

Keith

Valenzuela
12-11-2008, 06:42 PM
Im ok with that.... I honestly dont mind if it took a year. Im in no rush. Thanks Keith!

Adrian