PDA

View Full Version : Did someone say Crime Scene Photos - EPIC come see me please!

Mike_Fulton
11-29-2008, 06:40 AM
After we (TriCoast) speak Sunday morning on Wireless eTTL / iTTL flash at Imaging we are moving over to EPIC for a three part class on Crime Scene Lighting.

Going over some of the basics for Law Enforcement:

low light shooting
off camera flash cords
IR system of Canon and Nikon
Radio Popper Units
Pocket Wizards
and a lot more

During the first two hours of the presentation (broken up so we can all go to the tradeshow in the middle of the day).

The last hour, sponsored by Canon, will allow you, the student to come down and shoot Canon's latest gear on a "Crime Scene" with model(s) dressed up as victims of a crime. Using the techniques we talked about during the previous two hours you can get as close to shooting a real crime scene without all the smells and true blood and guts.

AND

you rumor has it you get to keep the Memory Card after wards.

So for those who can not get up and see us speak at 7am on Sunday morning, I truly hope to see some of you at the EPIC class we are teaching.

It should be a whole lot of fun and a little weirdness mixed in :)

Marc_Benjamin
11-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Could I volunteer to draw up the body chalk lines?

Jack_Reznicki
11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
Could I volunteer to draw up the body chalk lines?

Marc,

Are you certified for chalk?
Sure, looks easy to the layman, but ya know....;)

D._Craig_Flory
11-29-2008, 04:41 PM
For anyone taking Mike's class, don't forget to bring a ruler. In forensic images it is used to size and perspective. I've used one on accident skid mark photos as well as in the studio held next to scars.

Rick_Massarini
11-29-2008, 08:27 PM
...and a little weirdness mixed in :)

Aw, c'mon Mike, just a LITTLE weirdness ??? You can do better that that !!! The weirder you get, the bigger the crowd you'll draw...

Tonyp884
12-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Can anyone attend the Crime Scene class???
thanks,
Tony P

Mike_Fulton
12-04-2008, 02:17 AM
Can anyone attend the Crime Scene class???
thanks,
Tony P

Good question I have actually tried to find out this answer.

On the EPIC page it says:
Your registration for EPIC School also gives you full access to everything that Imaging USA has to offer. For a complete listing of all classes, events, and the latest Imaging USA news, visit www.ImagingUSA.org/epic/

So I would think logically it would go both ways. If not just register for EPIC and get both for the price of one.

Rick_Massarini
12-04-2008, 04:38 AM
... If not just register for EPIC and get both for the price of one.

What about if I'm registered for Imaging and I just brought along and attached to my badge my old PPA "Forensics Group" badge ribbon (from many, many - about 29 - years ago). Do you think they would let me in (maybe just for old times sake)??? (The PPA Forensics group was the precursor of EPIC).

Carol_Andrews
12-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Well, well, this will be fabulous!
Does EPIC allow us to bring our probation officers????:o
Carol!

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2008, 05:53 AM
After having Mike down here in Louisiana for our State Convention in August (and seeing part of his program) I want to sit in on this crime scene gig to see just how weird Mike can get...

Say, maybe I could bring in some of my old autopsy photos from the 1970's to help in case he needs a little more weirdness - Oh, I forgot - they're all on 4x5 Ektachrome... anybody got a really big projector???

Mike - All joking aside, I'm forwarding all the info on EPIC to our Police Chief - he may be interested in sending one of his officers to catch your program... I'll keep you posted...

Mike_Fulton
12-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Well honestly I am working on my program this month for EPIC and while the same material goes into EPIC as in IMAGING or a State Convention, the subject matter is clearly different.

So I am not sure if I should show some Crime Scene photos or just leave out the blood and guts and go straight with lighting situations.

Either way I go I will be talking about more basic stuff since law enforcement officers are not professional photographers as a general rule.

f/stop and shutter speed and ISO relations
tripod mounting in low light
how to shoot in low light
side lighting
Pocket wizards
Radio Popper Units
eTTL / iTTL wireless flash
peanut slave units (maybe)
off shoe camera cords

Pretty much ANYTHING to get the light off the camera and non-direct on the subject.

Humans that are living and breathing sometimes can be tough to shoot, a dead pale one is 100% worse so the more we get the light off camera and side light them general the better we are!

Carol where have you been all of my life...we have not spoken in forever! iss ya!

Rick bring them on, it would be funny to even see the EPIC people's face on your badge!!

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2008, 06:15 PM
I vote for Blood and Guts!!!

Rick_Massarini
12-30-2008, 05:38 AM
...I just wanted to bring this back up to remind everyone of Mike's program on Crime Scene Photography...Blood...Guts...Bodies on the floor...Chalk lines...and Mike Fulton (funny, they all kinda go together)... Anyway - this sounds like an interesting program... Don't forget about it !!!!!!!! Sounds like fun !!!!!!

All joking aside - this could be a valuable session even if you're not an investigative photographer - If you do the occasional photographic job for Lawers, you might learn a few things from Mike that may help keep your photographs from being thrown out of court.... (Just my opinion - 'cause we do the occasional legal job)