PDA

View Full Version : Would love cc and opinions on these two images

llind7
11-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Hello everyone, I've been a PPA member for a while but am just now jumping into the forums.

I have two images I'm considering entering into competition. I would welcome any feedback/criticism etc. Do you feel these are competition worthy? Any tips on whether I have them matted correctly? Thank you in advance.

DianeDavis
11-16-2008, 08:16 AM
I love the feel of both images.

Though I'm not qualified to comment on competition, the cc I have is that I feel like I need to see the top of the girls head in #1.

Good for you to be going for competition!

Joe_Galioto
11-16-2008, 01:49 PM
both are quite nice.
diane, i don't mind the croped head, not much info lost.
joe

llind7
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Thank you both for the comments, much appreciated :)

D._Craig_Flory
11-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Hi Lori;

On both, I'd like to see them bigger to tell what is good and bad.

Your weakest image is #1. It is broad lit / has a lot of negative space / and the accent line is too big and too bright. On a 16X20 full res file I generally only use between 4 pixels and 6 pixels. I also select a tone from the image rather than pure white. And, I add the accent line on it's own layer (select the subject layer and then add a transparent layer) so I can lower the opacity as needed.

Rick_Massarini
11-17-2008, 03:24 AM
I have a bit of trouble really seeing the images in their small size, but I'll give it a try...
On the first image - I have a little bit of trouble getting past all the the dead space on the left and getting into the rather static straight up vertically posed face of the girl considering that the lighting is coming in from the right and the face is broad-lit. The top of her head is cropped off for no apparent reason since there is a lot of space below her. It might be a bit stronger, for me, if the face were lit from the left (short-lit), and if the face were tilted a bit towards the light, but I still don't understand the reason for cropping off the top of her head while leaving the space below her face with the red clothing visible there - maybe a title might help here...

On the second image, I like the feeling of the image, but the file is not large enough for me to see the expression in the face. I like the posing, but again, can't tell how well it would work in competition in this size.

Also - please use your full name when posting on this forum. Anonymous posting is not the custom of this forum. If you cannot change your user name to your full name, please add your full name to your signature line.

llind7
11-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Thank you both for the feedback. I do see the issue with the broad light. That one was from the end of a session where she was just sitting on a rug and the light was mostly coming from the window. So, just a grab shot but I liked her expression mostly and was going for serious feel/ that feeling where you can almost see that childhood is going to be left behind soon, and it's time to become a teen. But your points are very valid and I see how the image is not as strong as it could have been. Also thanks on the info on matting, I definitely had no idea how to go about doing that correctly for competition.

I will try to post larger -- I am brand new to this forum. Would a link work better than uploading via the system?

Also will figure out how to put my full name. I thought I fixed that and I can see it under my second post, but maybe it is not retroactive to the first?

I am Lori Lindholm/ BlueDamselfly.com

D._Craig_Flory
11-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Thank you both for the feedback.

I will try to post larger -- I am brand new to this forum. Would a link work better than uploading via the system?

Also will figure out how to put my full name. I thought I fixed that and I can see it under my second post, but maybe it is not retroactive to the first?

I am Lori Lindholm/ BlueDamselfly.com

Hi Lori;

In order to post bigger you need to host the images somewhere else. You could host them on your web site and link that way. I like using Photobucket ... but you have to make sure you put copyright & studio info prominently on each image if you use it. I have posted images as big as 10"X10" & 12" X 8" from there.

llind7
11-17-2008, 10:34 PM
Thank you Craig. Here is the second image, larger & unmatted:

http://www.bluedamselfly.com/images/comp3-full-web.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
11-18-2008, 01:43 AM
Lori, Remember that prints are judged under very intense lights. This print will look too light under judging conditions so it would need to be printed much deeper. I would also suggest cleaning out the hair from her profile. If you can, fix the bunchiness in her top and make sure you are not losing detail in the hot spot on the top of her head. I would suggest backing off on the grunge/filter effect over top of her face. The biggest challenge to this print reaching an above average score will be the distortion apparently caused by using too short of a lens. Look how exceptionally large her feet look in comparison to her head. This would be a good learning image if you can attend the judging and either listen if it gets talked about or pull a judge aside after the competition is over and ask for a critique.

Keith