PDA

View Full Version : another newbie

chelane
11-12-2008, 09:43 PM
OK, so I've never entered any print competitions. I've been lurking a bit to learn and I've seen alot of interesting things about directional lighting and such.

This image I shot while hiking back from Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park in Washington. I laid down on the trail in order to get the mountains to frame the flowers. I picked it as my first one for comments because its one I just love to look at.

So, what would you do post-production to get this ready - or is there not enough there to salvage and I should go try a different image.

Chelane

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/chelanep/IMGP0312.jpg

KristiSanger
11-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi Chelane and welcome to the forum.

It's a lovely picture. I can't comment on improvements or competition. I haven't made the jump to comp yet (I need to stop dragging my feet) and I just don't have an eye for nature photography. I am sure others like D. Craig, and Keith will chime in here thought to help you out. But I did want to say hi and welcome.:D

chelane
11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Kristi!

Chelane

D._Craig_Flory
11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi Chelane;

Here are my thoughts: In print competition, a scene just about has to be breathtaking and perfect to do better than average. As for your image ... I would take it down a bit using curves, in Photoshop. In addition, I would crop it to a slimline step-mount. I see the yellow flowers as the center of interest and would position them somewhere close to the 4th quadrant.

chelane
11-13-2008, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the welcome and the comments, D. Craig!

umm, what do you mean by "slimline step-mount"?

Here's what I got after bringing it down using curves and then trying to get the yellow flowers over near the 4th quadrant.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/chelanep/IMGP0312c.jpg

chelane
11-13-2008, 03:51 AM
is this something like the slimline step-mount look?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l312/chelanep/olympicflowersc.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
11-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi Chelane;

That is close ... it is a step-mount but not a slim-line. That is as it sounds ... long and skinny. On what you posted, the thing that shouts "LOOK AT ME" is that big, wide, and very loud yellow accent line. Later today I'll see about working your image as I see it and posting.

P.S. ... you do need a full name with your posts, in your avatar, or as a signature at the bottom of all posts, or both.

D._Craig_Flory
11-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi Chelane;

Ok, here is my take on it. Especially, please how much less obtrusive my accent line is. I hope this helps. Do not hold back. Enter a state association, or sub-state sized group, competition as soon as possible. You will learn by doing and hearing feedback from the judges during a critique.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/MountainMeadowbyChelanecopy.gif

chelane
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for showing what you mean.

What general color did you use for the stroke? I can't see it on the image (I think it might be a light blue?)

Hopefully, I will be able to afford to enter after next summer. My current discretionary funds will be eaten during IUSA, then at American Volkssport Assn convention in June.

D._Craig_Flory
11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Thanks for showing what you mean.

What general color did you use for the stroke? I can't see it on the image (I think it might be a light blue?)

Hopefully, I will be able to afford to enter after next summer. My current discretionary funds will be eaten during IUSA, then at American Volkssport Assn convention in June.

Hi Chelane;

I removed the attachment and posted instead from Photobucket so you can see it better. Yes, it is a light blue sampled from the image. Go up to my previous post to see it.

Keith_A_Howe
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Chelane
Welcome to the forum.

I congratulate you in getting down to bring the mountians in behind the flowers. I wish you had taken the purple flowers out from behind the yellow flowers before you had made the photograph, it would have made the image stronger IMO. I did a very quick representation of a competition print for you to show what I would do to this image. It is a very good image to learn on. I brought the image down quite aways and then I selected the yellow flowers and held them back while I took the rest of the image down even farther. Next I burned the highlights on all the forground except the yellow flowers to seperate them or "lift" them from the rest of the image giving them more impact. I choose a stroke from the flowers then darkened it so it guided the viewer to the center of intrest but did not demand too much attention itself. I placed the image so the flowers were aprox in the intersection of the upper right thirds. Remember that the judging lights are bright - 1sec F16 at 100 ISO. So if your image looks right in regular lighting it will be washed out under the lights so you need to keep it darker, also when it is printed darker like this it will give a richer look under the lights. Remember to place a copyright on your images when you post them and let us know if it is ok to work up a rendition like this. Here is my version. I think it will fall in the average to above average catagories. Keith
Majestic
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Majestic.jpg

chelane
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Keith!

Thanks for your interpretation and detailed info about how you did it.

When I was shooting the photo, I was about 6 inches from falling
over the cliff, so I wasn't brave enough to reach out and do any
rearranging of the flowers. I'll try to overcome that in the future :-).

I like your idea of using the color from the flowers for the stroke
(as was my original thought) but deepening it to keep down the
distraction factor.

Jason_Kauffman
11-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey Chelane - I don't have much too add on what's been said so far on your image, but it is a nice shot from my "back yard"! If you ever make it out this way again, you should stop by and say hi - my studio is right downtown!

chelane
11-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Hi Jason!

I don't know whether I'll get back out there or not, since the family
I have over there are going to retire in Alabama. But, if I do, there
are other trails in the Olympics I'd love to do, so who knows?

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-15-2008, 03:40 AM
I like where this is headed! Nice image!