PDA

View Full Version : A little disappointed with Super Monday

Kari_Douma
10-27-2008, 09:23 PM
So, today is Super Monday. I signed up for a Super Monday Class which was to be held today. I signed up a month ago. It was 3 hour drive for me. So, I woke up at 4:30 AM to drive 3 hours, and found out the class was yesterday.

Now, I know some of the Super Monday Classes were really scheduled for yesterday, Sunday. But, I know this one was Monday. I even checked my receipt from PPA again... yes, it said 10/27/08. So, I went back and talked to the instructor again. He said the class was originally scheduled for today. He said that he took a teaching job at the local college, and had to change the PPA class to yesterday. PPA was suppesed to notify us. Well, they didn't. There were 5 people who showed up today. He said he was sorry, and would teach the class again, but he had to teach at the college today.

So, I did call PPA, and they will refund me my money paid for the class. But, what about my 6 hours of driving time? Or my $50 in gas? Or my missed Merrit? Or my missed work since it is the busiest time of the year?

Just a little VENT after spening 6 hours in the car for no reason.

Don_Chick
10-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I am sorry to hear about the confusion with your class.

Having taught Super Monday's in the past ...

I always took the contact info from PPA and touched base with everyone attending before each class. That way they had directions and any questions answered in advance. I also taught them on days other than Monday so I wanted to make sure everyone had correct info and arrived on the correct day.

AllegrasStudio
10-28-2008, 12:13 AM
aw man that BITES!

Dave_Cisco
10-28-2008, 12:15 AM
You should be a LOT disappointed.:) I would be a very difficult person to be around at this time.

Kari_Douma
10-28-2008, 12:26 AM
You should be a LOT disappointed.:) I would be a very difficult person to be around at this time.

I'm not too difficult.... just tired after waking up so early!:)

Kari_Douma
10-28-2008, 12:28 AM
I am sorry to hear about the confusion with your class.

Having taught Super Monday's in the past ...

I always took the contact info from PPA and touched base with everyone attending before each class. That way they had directions and any questions answered in advance. I also taught them on days other than Monday so I wanted to make sure everyone had correct info and arrived on the correct day.

To tell you the truth, I did wonder about this. I wondered why the instructor didn't contact us. Especially after we didn't show up on Sunday, and he knew that it was changed. He could have thought there might be a possibility that maybe we still thought it was today. Even if he would have called us after the class was over last night, it would have saved me 6 hours of driving today.

Sandra_Pearce
10-28-2008, 01:01 AM
Kari,

I taught my first Super Monday today on painting with Photoshop. I contacted PPA and got a list of my students, emailed them with what they needed and all the particulars. My class was for 12 and I had 10. But like you I signed up a couple of years ago for a class, never received any information, place, time or what I needed to bring from the instructor. I just didn't go. My class started at 9 and the last one left at 7:30. We had a great time. I feel that it is up to the instructor to contact the students and keep them informed. I am sorry you had a bad experience. All the teachers are not that way.

Sandra

Mark_Levesque
10-28-2008, 01:11 AM
Sorry to hear of your experience, Kari. I'm sure I would have been plenty steamed had I made the trip you did. One of my students didn't make it today, which kind of bums me out.

vrsphoto
10-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Kari
I was the other person at the studio this morning when you pulled up at 9:00 am. My wife and I had not driven as far as you, only just over an hour from St. Louis.

To say we were disappointed would be an understatement. We had both looked forward to this even for some time. We are just getting started as professional photographers and this was an ideal opportunity to meet similar minded people and learn techniques from the instructor and others. To be told at the door "I sincerely hope you are not here for Super Monday" was to say the least, quite a shock.

I am just as disappointed like yourself that there was no communication. I also called PPA and they repeatedly apologized, offering my money back. I expressed to them my concern at the time, money and mileage driving to and from and non-event. They did say they were going to look into the situation, I requested a call back with their findings.

As you stated, given that the studio owner had changed the date of the event, he had some responsibility to ensure that attendees were notified. Telling me at the door today that "he did not get paid for these events, PPA did", done nothing to alleviate my frustrations.

When I hear back from PPA I will let you know, or post their response.

I am also looking at the possibility of seeking compensation for the expenses incurred.

It was nice meeting you, if only for a brief moment.

All the best
Keith

Tiffany_Schmitt
10-28-2008, 02:21 AM
That is aweful! I would have been a little more than just disappointed, I'll tell you that!

Don't let it discourage you for the next time...Just take a few mins. to confirm.

Not saying it is in any way your fault, just use it as a lesson.:confused:

Tiff

Lorrie_Kennedy
10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
This certainly sheds a bad light on the organizational abilities of the PPA as well as being bad publicity for the Super Mondays. I have to admit, I will certainly question signing up for any now. I probably will, but I will bug the stuffing out of PPA and the studio for any updated information.

leslie64
10-28-2008, 03:09 AM
hi fellow member
The PPA seems to "NOT" do a lot of things it claims its going to do. You should hear about my experince with them on the "up tp 40% savings on health insurance" they claim to save their members. I was so mad. My marketing class at the university I am attending is now researching this non profit organization for a group project we're doing. Here is the thing... we are the members...the people running the PPA are suppose to be here to promote professional photography. They operate on a membership basis for the promotion of the interests of their members. Read the mission statement. In order to get members to join their group to fund the promotion they offer services pertaining to things that photographers might need or be interested in. However when we join and they get our money it seems they are not holding up to their end of the deal to the degree of reasonable expectation. What happened to you today is another shinning example of this very fact. Just take a look at their tax returns from last year and see how they spend the money we give them. It's all public record, I got it right off the internet. We need to research our rights as members and "demand" better service or withdraw our membships. Six hours is a long time in the car, plus getting up so early and the money you spent in gas. It was wrong and very unprofessional just like the misleading advertising about health insurance savings. Ever heard of something called unethical business practices? There doesn't appear to be a lot of regulation for non profits but I
think there are some non profits that do "watchdog" other non profits. We are learning more about it in my class. Again I am sorry to hear about what happened to you and the other five members. I hope the PPA refunded your money back to you "and" offer you gas money as well. That would be the right thing to do.
So, today is Super Monday. I signed up for a Super Monday Class which was to be held today. I signed up a month ago. It was 3 hour drive for me. So, I woke up at 4:30 AM to drive 3 hours, and found out the class was yesterday.

Now, I know some of the Super Monday Classes were really scheduled for yesterday, Sunday. But, I know this one was Monday. I even checked my receipt from PPA again... yes, it said 10/27/08. So, I went back and talked to the instructor again. He said the class was originally scheduled for today. He said that he took a teaching job at the local college, and had to change the PPA class to yesterday. PPA was suppesed to notify us. Well, they didn't. There were 5 people who showed up today. He said he was sorry, and would teach the class again, but he had to teach at the college today.

So, I did call PPA, and they will refund me my money paid for the class. But, what about my 6 hours of driving time? Or my $50 in gas? Or my missed Merrit? Or my missed work since it is the busiest time of the year?

Just a little VENT after spening 6 hours in the car for no reason.

KirkDarling
10-28-2008, 04:17 AM
You should hear about my experince with them on the "up tp 40% savings on health insurance" they claim to save their members. I was so mad.

So what was that experience?

Just take a look at their tax returns from last year and see how they spend the money we give them. It's all public record, I got it right off the internet.

So what did they spend the money on that we should be upset about?

Linda_Gregory
10-28-2008, 07:17 AM
I'm with Kirk, please no innuendos. Facts or silence.

Maybe election year has me edgy on such statements?

Kari_Douma
10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Let me know what you find out. When I went back the second time, there was another man there too....

Stan_Lawrence
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Starting to sound like a conspiracy....like the guy doing the super monday may have actually made a mistake, albeit a rather irritating one. Certainly not something any of us would do, since we likely don't make mistakes. Hopefully he apologized, and hopefully he'll be a little more considerate the next time. Hopefully everyone reading this thread will call and confirm details in the future. Bottom line, we're human, we make mistakes, learn and move on. Leslie, please be specific, generalities are really of no value. :cool:

D._Craig_Flory
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi Kari;
I am sorry to hear about your bad time. I guess I will label myself a bit paranoid. I am one who is redundant ... I double and triple-check things. For the future, I suggest becoming paranoid - calling and or e-mailing just to make sure things will be working as planned.

Since it was the instructor's fault, I hope you get reimbursed for travel expenses as well as the course fee.

Dave_Cisco
10-28-2008, 02:46 PM
,but I will bug the stuffing out of PPA and the studio for any updated information.

I call that being a conscientious planner. I do that all the time for any trip I plan.:)

samgardnermcr
10-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Kari,
I hope this doesn't keep you or others from attending future Super Mondays. I have hosted many of these events and although PPA is ultimately in charge of them I take the time to email and/or call all the registrants personally. I feel that individual instructors have the responsibility to do this as part of their "professional duties and attitude" despite the fact that they are "volunteers".
Perhaps the PPA staff can assist Super Monday instructors with some suggested guidelines like this - especially for first time instructors????
Sam

Kari_Douma
10-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Kari,
I hope this doesn't keep you or others from attending future Super Mondays.
Sam

No, it won't keep me from attending in the future. But, now I know that if I don't hear from the instructor to make sure I call or email and get in touch.

PPA did call today to rectify the situation. I didn't get a chance to call them back yet.

vrsphoto
10-29-2008, 01:44 AM
First and foremost I apologize if my response prompted any unwarranted accusations with little or no merit, that was not my intention whatsoever.

I thank all those who provided positive and balanced feedback and recommendations for the future.

It was suggested by a few that we should have confirmed things ahead of time. Please try to view this from my perspective... I am a new member to PPA, this was my first enrolment at such an event. The event's title is Super Monday, the catalogue page noted it was Monday October 27th, the receipt that I had indicated Monday 27th October. I did not feel any necessity at all to phone and confirm. I had both of the latter documents with me on Monday.

In Mike's (the host) defense, when I got home I downloaded the catalogue again and the date had been changed since September 20th when I first downloaded and also October 1st when I again l accessed it online prior to booking. The document had presumably been amended subsequent to that.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and in future I may do more checking prior to traveling to such an event. But I honestly feel that as a customer I should not be chasing up the vendor(s). I would certainly not expect my clients should feel the need to do this.

I look forward to one day meeting and perhaps working among all of you.

All the very best.
Keith

Michael_Gan
10-29-2008, 02:48 AM
I look forward to one day meeting and perhaps working among all of you Now that's easy. See ya in Phoenix in January!

Valerie_Harte
10-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow. I taught my first Super Monday yesterday. 7 attendees and we talked Strategy. I really enjoyed it. That said... guess what day Palin decided to come to Fredericksburg? Yep... so we had to play the parking game in the morning which I think turned out ok, but yuck. So my point- stuff happens. But, the one person that was having a hard time was able to call me and we got them here- yeah!

I don't know that as a first time instructor I would have known what to do if I had had to reschedule the class.... so I can feel for the guy. PPA did send me my list and my contacts so I guess I could have called people. People called me ahead of time to let me know they were coming- I guess this example is why. hmmm....

As for the health insurance thing mentioned above...um... yeah... I have the PPA Health Insurance. It's $20 MORE than the quote my regular insurance guy just gave me. Doesn't seem to be better insurance, but it is different and maybe its 40% off what THAT company normally charges without the association discount. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt so if I am being overly Polly Anna sorry... :-)