PDA

View Full Version : CC Please

Robin_Arkenberg
10-23-2008, 04:46 PM
Is this image competition possible? I have no title yet either.

http://www.robinsphotography.com/kittens/2009comp1.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
10-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Robin;

What I see: over saturated / no definitive lighting pattern / she is holding a white something which is out of key and draws more attention than her / the background is deep, up so far, and then a diagonal patch gets very bright drawing attention to that area.

I'm sorry Robin but in a state competition I don't see it going above a score of 73.

Keith_A_Howe
10-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Robin
I really like the warm vs cool tones in this image. You ask if it is competition possible - the answer is yes. However the question I have to as is what are your expectations? As it stands I would have to say it would be in the above average catagory. It is a good image to learn from and definately will not embarass you. With some work it might be able to come up a bit higher. Granted I am looking at a low res file but I will tell you what the problems I see. First I am seeing a major difference in the soft bangs vs sharp eyes. I believe this softness was probably done in processing but as I see it now - even her top eyelashes and eyebrows are very soft yet her bottom lashes and nose are very sharp so I don't see it as a very limited depth of field or if it is, it is back focused. The next issue is the shoulder by the gown is brighter than her face. Camera angle is high but this can be ok with a good title and positioning on the board. You have the white hand warmer in the lower part of the image that is mixing keys, there is a busy mussy look to the neckline and hair in that area, and the shadow part of the top of her hair looks blocked up. These last things can be taken care of with a tight crop which I think adds to the impact of the image. Fix the softness issue with her bangs, eyebrows and eyelashes and I think the image gets stronger.
JMO's... Here is my suggested crop. Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/GoldenGirl.jpg

Robin_Arkenberg
10-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Thanks D. Craig and Keith,

I appreciate the input.