PDA

View Full Version : Alright to record audio notes?

Keith_Upton
10-23-2008, 01:05 PM
I will be attending for the first time this year and my girl friend is going as well. We are both going to the classes, some times different ones. Does anyone know if it is okay to use on of those little tape recorders for note taking?

Stephanie_Millner
10-23-2008, 01:22 PM
I think it depends on the class. On many of them, there's no recording allowed of any kind - that's how it was for Jerry Ghionis and Yervant last year.

George_Hawkins
10-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I agree, as there are often announcements stating no recording devices. Also, it may be printed in a schedule. Verify by contacting PPA staff. Try taking notes *fast*, or try learning shorthand! Sorry for my sarcasm. Really the best is to listen/watch and take outline; I'd loose it if I tried to write almost verbatim.

Keith_Upton
10-24-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I would not try and take notes verbatim, but I do find it best when you can listen and pay attention to what they are saying/showing instead of trying to write down what they said 3 mins ago.

It's kind of ironic that they would be worried about us recording there teaching (I can only assume they are concerned with us using it to teach our own classes and making money off of it), when they are "giving" us there secrets to become better photographers and direct competitors.

Keith_A_Howe
10-24-2008, 02:51 AM
It's kind of ironic that they would be worried about us recording there teaching (I can only assume they are concerned with us using it to teach our own classes and making money off of it), when they are "giving" us there secrets to become better photographers and direct competitors.

Sorry This is not the reasons that I am aware of. First - is it fair for someone to record a program and then maybe share it with friends that didn't pay to attend the class or even go to the conference. Remember it is these fees that help off set the cost of putting on the conference, ask anyone that has ever planned a state or regional conference how hard it is to get everything we want with in a budget (then Multiply it to the size of IUSA).

Second - Any speakers or associations that have paid a liscence fee for any music they may use in their program does NOT allow for recording and distribution of the music. Our association fights hard to protect our copyrights and as such can not condone violating others copyrights.

So while I am sure we would all be using it for our own educational benifit, there are those out there that do dumb things like making extra copies of software or allow others to use their software or music. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could trust everyone not to copy our work?

Keith I quoted your post for reference of points, I do not mean to come down on you personally I am just trying to point out some of the reasons some associations or speakers do not allow taping.

Keith

Keith_Upton
10-24-2008, 01:25 PM
All valid points Keith. Since I've never been to one, I did not know that some of the speakers used music in there programs.