PDA

View Full Version : Slot Canyons in Arizona

Rick_Massarini
10-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Can anyone make a recommendation as to which slot canyon is the best photographically? I was thinking about doing a slot canyon tour while I am in Arizona, and would like some guidance as to which one to take. I have heard of Antelope Canyon, but am not sure if it is the best one. Any recommendations from some of the local Arizona residents or those who have been there before ???

margiemastrangelo
10-20-2008, 02:11 AM
. . . . . . . . . .

Garrett
11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
There are many canyons to photograph, the most famous is Antelope Canyon, in N. Arizona, near Page, and Lake Powell.....Amazing area to photograph.

Tours are out of Page, MUST take tour to get into Antelope Canyon, since it is on the Navajo Reservation....the operators all have 'photo tours' as well....google them....I know Chief Tsosie Tours (I have brought folks to them), but the key is season and time of day (high noon is best)....

Also in the area, is Glen Canyon Dam, Colorado River float trips, Lees Ferry and paria canyon, Horseshoe Bend (ver good for photogs), etc....

Shoot me an email, I can show you a couple pics of Horseshoe Bend and 'togs out there....

Garrett
garrett@garrettdauphars.com

Rick_Massarini
11-17-2008, 03:06 AM
I've been doing a good bit of research regarding side-trips after the convention and just got a real eye opener - the average temperature for the Grand Canyon area in January is around 35 F. The average high is around 41 with the average low being about 24F. Just some planning information for the rest of you - dress warmly, cause it's gonna be a bit on the cool side... Brrrrr !!!

George_Hawkins
11-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Rick,
Those temps are lower than I was remembering! My notes are not with me: Flagstaff is much higher elevation than Phoenix, and GC Rim is much higher again! Elevations greatly affect temps.

Here's an interesting story, I came across, and saved as PDF.

Tonyp884
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
I was driving thru snow showers in VA yesterday, and this morning we have heavy frost. Sounds like it will not be much of a change, maybe warmer !
I'm coming anyway!
tony P

PhotogCraig
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
The Grand Canyon, and many of the other Canyon areas in Utah, Bryce and such are at a high elevation overall, so although it looks so much like desert land in the area, that elevation does effect the temperature more then one would think.

Keely_Deuschle
12-05-2008, 12:19 AM
My brother was a ranger around the Lake Powell area last year and he said that area is a fantastic place to go - Antelope Canyon.

I've been thinking about a day trip, too. Not 100% sure, but would love to find out who else may be considering it too.

George_Hawkins
12-05-2008, 02:37 AM
Well, my research is not in my head, but Grand Canyon is maybe 4 hour drive from Phoenix. Ideally, I'd like to follow suggestion of friends and stay overnight within GC Park (there are rooms under $100) to view and photograph at sunset and sunrise.
That's 5:30 pm and 7:30 am. Local times. I had been thinking of going a few days early - trying to coordinate a visit to relatives near Sarasota over 12/31, and then fly to Pheonix. However, that's running in to glitches, so I may stay in AZ a few days after.

I have more info and articles saved as PDFs.

Erin_L._Clark
12-05-2008, 02:40 PM
I have the 14th to visit the Grand Canyon-and flying out that night. Is it really 4 hours away? Should I just hire a plane since it's a must see?

George_Hawkins
12-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I have the 14th to visit the Grand Canyon-and flying out that night. Is it really 4 hours away? Should I just hire a plane since it's a must see?

The writer of one of these documents says 4.5 hours one way.
You can come to your own conclusions. I zipped some files together. Email me if you have problem opening.

One time when Imaging was in Las Vegas, I made the drive, and was far longer than I anticipated. Far longer than from Phoenix. That's me reason to attempt an overnight there. Stop in one direction in Sedona area.

Here's two PDFs which might interest readers.

Mark_Turner
12-06-2008, 03:27 AM
We went to Lower Antelope, and it was a great shoot. The guides know how to get you to the right spots for great images.

Rick_Massarini
12-06-2008, 03:33 AM
How was the hike down to the Lower Antelope Canyon? A friend of mine went there a couple months ago and said that the Lower Canyon is a fairly strenuous climb while the Upper Canyon is a much easier hike. How did you find the hike?

Mark_Turner
12-06-2008, 03:41 AM
This was in 2004 I think, and I don't remember it being too bad. I had knee surgery later that year, so hiking Glen Canyon was tough, and Monument Valley was hard, but I don't remember Lower Antelope being hard. We took a truck almost to the entrance area, and hiked just a little ways to the entrance.

Keely_Deuschle
12-06-2008, 02:57 PM
I looked at mapquest and it looks like it's about 250 miles from Phoenix to the Lake Powell area. So, 4 hours sounds about right.

ErinKenly
12-10-2008, 02:39 AM
Tim Meyer is a good person to ask about the slot canyons. He is a PPA guy, check out http://www.meyerphoto.com/:o

Have fun!!!

Rick_Massarini
12-24-2008, 06:36 PM
I've been planning this trip for a long time now, and now I hear that Flagstaff just got 19 inches of snow and they don't expect the weather to warm up a heck of a lot for the next couple of weeks - We may not be able to get near Page with all the snow on the roads - I guess that shoots me in the foot !!!

Des anyone know anything about Arizona in the snow? Do they get this all the time? Do they have snowplows or do they just shut down the roads?

PhotogCraig
12-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I've been planning this trip for a long time now, and now I hear that Flagstaff just got 19 inches of snow and they don't expect the weather to warm up a heck of a lot for the next couple of weeks - We may not be able to get near Page with all the snow on the roads - I guess that shoots me in the foot !!!

Des anyone know anything about Arizona in the snow? Do they get this all the time? Do they have snowplows or do they just shut down the roads?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Flagstaff is actually at a very high elevation, and yes they know how to plow and keep their roads open, and I am sure they would not want Page AZ cut off for long either, but it might be a slow hard drive.

Garrett
01-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Hey Gang,

I live in Flagstaff, and yes, we had 39" of snow in about 10 days just before and during Christmas.....that is the official amount from the weather service in town....

The roads get cleared all the while it snows, rarely, but occasionally they will close a road during a whiteout for a couple hours, but for the most part, they stay open.

That said, right now (and I am sure in two weeks) the roads are all wide, dry and clear...a beautiful drive up from PHX to Page....

FYI.....the snow starts about 25mi south of FLG and continues til about 15mi north of FLG on US89.....the rest of the way up to Page is prarie and painted desert and dry and clear.....

If it is actively snowing during your drive, you may be delayed getting thru and around FLG, otherwise, it will be a beautiful drive thru 7 climate zones....

Come enjoy!

If you have any specific questions, shoot me an email and I can help with directions, ideas, etc.....

Garrett

Rick_Massarini
01-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Garrett !

You've just made my day ! I was getting worried about the weather. Ieven switched my car rental from an cheap economy car to a 4WD Jeep Liberty just to be sure I wouldn't get stuck in the snow up there. It's great to hear that the roads around Page whould be clear. We were thinking about hooking up with a friend and taking a drive up through Arches NP and possibly Canyonlands. I was debating between Canyonlands or Bryce Canyon but was concerned that we might not be able to get through to Bryce. What's your opinion - you're now my designated EXPERT since you live in Flagstaff.

Garrett
01-02-2009, 09:50 PM
I have not been up to Utah, but I know both parks are very popular, so should be clear, I would think. Again, the biggie is if it is actually snowing...

I know Grand Canyon Nat'l park is kind of dicey the first couple days after a big snow, they are a bit slow to clear thier roads in the park, but again, unless it is dumping on them, it will be clear...they have money to make!

Unlike back east, where I hail from many hundreds of years ago (or so it seems), out here in the west, we don't have weeks of gloom and overcast....we get a storm, it leaves, then we are cloudless, sunny and perfect!

Today, it is 52f and I think our nearest cloud is 400mi away......however, we may get a couple more inches of white stuff tomorrow nite.

ALSO: If you (or any of you) are heading to Page, make sure you stop at the trailhead off 89, about 5mi south of town, for 'Horseshoe Bend'....trust me on this...is only .5mi hike on good trail fairly level...
Pics attached...note the photogs on the far right of the second picture (005), they are the little dots w/tripod on top of cliff.....

Ed_Sharp
01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
This thread was originally started for last time IUSA was in Phoenix (2009), but I imagine the canyons are still there so it may be worth bumping.;)