PDA

View Full Version : SPA or IUSA??

Lori_Clapp
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I am planning on going to Imaging this year, but I am still considering going to SPA instead. How is anyone else deciding which one to go to? I want to go to IUSA because all my friends are going there - how mature is that?? But I would like to go to SPA because all the senior info looks really good and I would love to learn more about photographing seniors. I think SPA would end up costing a little less, depending on the room rates (sheesh! $187 to sleep in a room for a night - wow!!) so it's really a matter of which one I would learn more at, and of course, have more fun at. Any pros and cons to either of them?

Marc_Benjamin
10-15-2008, 09:58 PM
I am planning on going to Imaging this year, but I am still considering going to SPA instead. How is anyone else deciding which one to go to? I want to go to IUSA because all my friends are going there - how mature is that?? But I would like to go to SPA because all the senior info looks really good and I would love to learn more about photographing seniors. I think SPA would end up costing a little less, depending on the room rates (sheesh! $187 to sleep in a room for a night - wow!!) so it's really a matter of which one I would learn more at, and of course, have more fun at. Any pros and cons to either of them?

IUSA - Pros - we're all gonna be there :)

Lori_Clapp
10-15-2008, 10:04 PM
IUSA - Pros - we're all gonna be there :)

Marc - EXACTLY! I agree with you - and while that may be a lot of money to spend just for networking (since I think I would learn more at SPA), I have learned SO MUCH from the people I have met - way more than I have learned in any class I have attended. So I think networking and meeting new friends, and hanging out with old friends, is as important as what classes are offered. Maybe I am trying to justify sitting in the bar the entire time we are there!

Marc_Benjamin
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
don't think, just do.

George_Hawkins
10-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I have a room a very short walk away, at under $100/night. Changeable reservation up to 48 hours.
Amenities might be a little less, but Super 8 has clean rooms and internet as I recall. Look around of share a room, as an option.

I am not ashamed to book a lesser room than the host hotel. I booked Embassy Suites at last several conventions, very brief walks, for less than others AND breakfast to order was included!

Lori_Clapp
10-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Can someone that has a reservation at a cheaper hotel please let me know the name of a close hotel? I would look on line but I don't know what's close to the convention center. Thanks!

Liz_Vance
10-17-2008, 04:39 AM
<sniff> I won't be there.

But I perked up a bit anyway until I realized you weren't talking about going to a spa. :)

Lori_Clapp
10-17-2008, 05:00 AM
<sniff> I won't be there.

But I perked up a bit anyway until I realized you weren't talking about going to a spa. :)

But Liz, if you don't go, who will make sure we all have food to eat? Who will buy us cool desserts??? Why aren't you going??

Liz_Vance
10-17-2008, 05:27 AM
I'll mail you some cookies at the hotel, Lori. You know the mom in me can't let you go hungry. :)

I'm not going because I just can't afford it this year. All my extra cash is going to the house remodel. I'll go next time. And I'm going to several of the state conventions, which will be just as fun. :)

-e

ErnstUlrich
10-17-2008, 05:34 AM
There are alot of Pros going to SPA, matter fact those pros are at the cutting edge of HS Senior Portraits. Really depends on what your looking for when it comes to these conventions. I attended PPA, had a great time and learn alot. This year I'm heading to WPPI as I haven't been to this one yet.

Best to ya, Ernst

Heather_L._Smith
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Lori - you can't not go to IUSA!! That's just not right. I've already come to terms with the fact that Liz won't be there...

I'll bring the cookies if that makes you feel any better.

I'll go next time.

We're in Tennessee (Nashville?) next year! Woohoo! Driving distance!!

Greg_Haag
10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
We are going to Imaging USA but have been considering going out early for the SPA event. We have never been to SPA before does anyone who has been before have any thoughts they might share?
Thanks
Greg

Tim_Babin
11-16-2008, 06:38 AM
I go to both SPA and IUSA. Both are really used for different things. Sort of like when you need a large softbox and a medium sized, they are both tools.

I love going to SPA, I have gotten a lot from it. But I also love going to IUSA to support our voice, the people, trade show, learning and fun.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
11-17-2008, 01:57 AM
I guess I don't understand the whole SPA thing and exactly how it could possibly benefit my studio. In reading the fine print, it costs something like $800 or $900 just to enter one of your seniors and I can't fathom paying for them and their family to attend the fashion thing... I guess I'd like to keep a bit of the profit from our seniors cause I don't imagine the parents would see much benefit to their child winning a place in a fashion show that would cost a small fortune to attend...

Am I missing the boat here or what??? Do you guys PAY for your senior to attend or does SPA pay for the expenses??? I just can't imagine asking the parents to pay for this. I'm thinking they may even think I'm a bit crooked to even ask...

Tim_Babin
11-17-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey Cindi, not sure what you are speaking of. I think that is the senior contest, if they win, they have their expenses paid for I believe. But there is a contest. The cost for the registration is about that much though. Keeps the numbers low and they bring in a lot of people from outside the industry.