PDA

View Full Version : Swppa

Keith_A_Howe
10-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Congratulations to all who recieved seals at SWPPA. I hope they will all post thier images and results soon.

Keith

David_O._Bailey
10-07-2008, 04:09 AM
SWPPA print competition results have been posted to the SWPPA web page. swppa.com

dawnsnow
10-07-2008, 04:54 AM
I've just downloaded the list of scores.. and joy of joys - I think I did pretty well the first time out:D...
an 81, 73, 71 and 74... I want to share these scores with my loved ones, but i will need to explain that getting an 80 is fab! - to them these are all barely passable scores.. so - that being said - is there a place where I can get some "scoring saavy"? What exactly does an 80 mean?
Here are my images (sorry they are small)
Scores:
01- 81
02 -73
03 - 71
04 - 74
yay - I'm on cloud nine!

Lori_Clapp
10-07-2008, 05:07 AM
I don't have our images on this computer so I will post them later. But I can give you my scores, and Vicki's scores.

Mine - 76, 77, 78 and 81.
Vicki 76, 77, 77 and 80.

We were both really excited to have an image that merited! Yay us!!

And, we owe HUGE thanks to a few people here on the forum. Big shock - Holly Howe is one we need to thank. We waited until the last possible second to decide to enter - and she was a huge help. Keith couldn't help because he was judging!

We also need to thank Rick Masserini. We don't even know Rick, but he was a big help in us getting our images to the right place by the deadline. He even went to the print room and checked to make sure our prints got there. And afterwards - Rick called and offered to take our prints to his studio and mail them back to us.

And...the Howes called as soon as they were able to find out our scores!

There are some really nice people on this forum!! Thanks for all your help guys!

Keith_A_Howe
10-07-2008, 02:05 PM
- is there a place where I can get some "scoring saavy"? What exactly does an 80 mean?

Dawn,
An 81 means "deserving of merit". That's exactly how it is defined. It also means IF you send it on to the national judging next summer it will automatically get a merit and be displayed at the international print show to be held in conjunction with IUSA 2010. That's what that seal with the signature will mean on the back of your print when you get it back from SWPPA.

To explain it further to your family ( I always have to do this!) I don't know the exact figures but usually somewhere between 25-35% score 80 or above. So it is definately the minority of prints.

Congratulations on your first merit towards your master's. The only one that will ever feel as good will be the LAST one towards your master's. LOL!

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Lori, Because they did not hang out of region prints in the show I never got to look at your actual prints. I might have judged them but of course I didn't know whose they were. So I never knew the scores. Someone on the print crew got the scores for Holly so she could call you. . . but anyway - the thing is I would like you to send us those files cause Holly thinks you probably have another merit or two in there but just need a little more finesse. She usually knows what she is talking about ( I have learned that over the last 30 years!) so I would really like to see them.

Keith

dawnsnow
10-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Keith,
I knew it was a simple explaination - while i was a "ghost" here - looking and reading for months - never had the guts to post my images prior to competition (I'm kind of a jump in with both feet girl...) , I just have to say that all the comments - and all the encouragement - well - its all encouraged me. Ditto what Lori said - all you Senior members are wonderful.

My appreciation goes to everyone moderating, posting, answering on this forum - it has been so reassuring. (Oh- that sounds like I'm signing off - I'm not going away - I usually just don't have alot to say!) (That's why I love PPA - i feel like i'm in art school again...)

Thank you... EVERYONE.

Lori_Clapp
10-08-2008, 04:07 AM
Keith - I will e-mail you my files - thanks for offering to look at them! And yes, I think Holly pretty much knows what she's talking about.

I don't know if I've shared this, but I entered at the very, absolute, last possible second - like UPS was shutting the doors on me as I shipped my case and paid a fortune for overnight morning delivery. It probably got there seconds before the deadline.

Anyway, my last e-mail from Holly said, "Why aren't you entering the squirrel???" So I VERY quickly worked it up according to Holly's suggestions, and entered it instead of another print. Guess what? My squirrel is the only one I entered that merited! Yay Holly!

The moral of this story is.......if you ask for advice - TAKE IT when it's given!

Lori_Clapp
10-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Yikes - I just realized - I did not thank Jeff D. for also looking at my prints for me. He is always so willing to help and give great advice. I just waited too long this time, and he gave me his quick opinions, and then I totally forgot to thank him publicly - so thanks Jeff!!

Dave_Cisco
10-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Met Keith and Holly face-to-face at SWPPA. Absolutely two of the nicest people I've ever met...totally dedicated to helping others.:)

TracyeGibson
10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
OK, here are my 4. It was my first time too so I was very pleased with how I did.
1. Bad to the Bone-83
2. The Big Kahuna?!?- 81
3. Red Lotus- 79
4. Ol' Blu- 79

I also got 2 'Distinguished First Time Entry' ribbons, which just tickled me to no end! I had some printing issues and almost didn't enter. In my opinion, they were too dark and contrasty (even for competition lights) and the laminate caused the colors to muddy and the paint strokes to blend in too much and not 'pop', but ya' live and ya' learn. ;) I was told to ALWAYS enter a full print case, so I did.

It was alot of fun sitting in on the print judging (although I missed the first day). That was a learning experience in itself!

Rick_Massarini
10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Also - - - Tracye received two Diistinguished Print Award ribbons in the "First Time Enterant" Category for "The Big Kahunah" and "Bad to the Bone".
Congratulations, Tracye !!!

Keith_A_Howe
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Come on Rick, Mark and all the rest of you, Post for us. I was there I know you entered!
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
10-09-2008, 04:26 AM
Met Keith and Holly face-to-face at SWPPA. Absolutely two of the nicest people I've ever met...totally dedicated to helping others.:)

Hey, I just saw this. You know Dave between Holly and I we visited with you what? an hour and a half maybe? Anybody can fake nice for that long!;)

Keith

Lori_Clapp
10-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey, I just saw this. You know Dave between Holly and I we visited with you what? an hour and a half maybe? Anybody can fake nice for that long!;)

Keith

You guys have been faking a lot longer than that with me!:)

Lori_Clapp
10-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Okay, here are my prints....

I don't remember the scores on the first 3 - they got a 76, 77, and 78 but I don't remember which was which and can't find where I wrote it down! The squirrel got an 81 (YAY).

I will post Vicki's when I get to the studio this morning!

Caught in the Net
http://www.amomentintime2.com/public/12235583782401_1_caught_in_the_net.jpg

My Darkest Hour
http://www.amomentintime2.com/public/12235584376007_2_My_Darkest_Hour.jpg

Dining Alone.........score 81
http://www.amomentintime2.com/public/12235584975942_3_Dining_Alone.jpg

Still Standing

http://www.amomentintime2.com/public/12235585297703_4_Still_standing.jpg

TracyeGibson
10-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Yep Rick! Thanks!

Lori, I remember when the squirrel came up in print judging. It was discussed quite a bit. Congrats!