PDA

View Full Version : certification

sulemaorr
09-13-2008, 05:19 AM
I live in Texas. Where is the test administered here? I am also a new PPA member.:)

D._Craig_Flory
09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Hi;

The way you have your avatar, I'm not sure which is your first name and which is your last.

The liaison for Texas is Les Lopez. His e-mail is lopezles@sbcglobal.net
Write and ask him where he gives it and when.

Julie44Johnston
09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I never really thought about taking the cert. exam as I am pretty much self taught and doubt I could pass it. However, I would like to try. I am in Iowa, relatively new to PPA and don't know how to go about doing it. Is there any way to study for it?

D._Craig_Flory
09-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Hi Julie;

There are a number of things I'd like to tell you. I don't know how much you know about the process. There are two parts ... the exam as well as submitting 20 8X10's that represent all the professional photography you do.

For exam study: The recommended book is "Photography" by London & Upton. There are also older threads, on here under certification, where questions were asked and then other threads where the answers are given. As a liaison, when I'm asked at our state meetings I suggest finding someone else who wants to take it that wants to study together.

You list that you are "on a farm" which could be anywhere. Considering that my town is surrounded on all sides by farms here in south central Pa., I recommend contacting the liaison for your state. Ask where and when he or she gives the exam. Let me know if you don't know how to find out who that is.

Al_Audleman
09-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Julie,

Taking the Certification exam, or better yet, participating in the entire process, would be a very good thing for you. OK, you may have to study. The book mentioned by Craig is, in fact, the primary source of exam questions. You can get the book, or find a course here and there that will help you. No one will know if you take the exam and fail except PPA staff. :) But by studying and taking the test, then submitting the required 20 images and having them judged by qualified people, you will seriously know where you stand professional and where you need to go to improve. If you do fail the exam the first time, you can retake it. You won't be embarrassed or arrested. But in our profession, particularly right now, anything we can do to stand out above the crowd is important. Certification can help you do that. Call PPA staff in Atlanta to find out who your state certification liaison is and ask them for help. All our liaisons are dedicated and more than willing to assist you.

Al Audleman, Vice Chairman, AVA Certification Commission

D._Craig_Flory
09-29-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Julie;

Al is exactly right. Many times I've had someone take the exam with me a 2nd time. You have two years to pass. So, prepare and take it. It is all multiple choice so when you look at a question it will probably click, in your mind, oh ... that's the answer !

Leesia_Teh
10-17-2008, 09:19 PM
I have started thinking about becoming certified -- and saw the textbook mentioned above by Upton & Sinclair and realized I have an old edition from my college days -- the 7th, to be exact, and I think they're on their 9th. As digital photography seems to advance every day, do any of you know if there seem to be enough changes to warrant purchasing the newer edition?

Thanks much!