PDA

View Full Version : Print Critique is Unwatchable

Stephanie_Millner
09-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I just got my print critique disk in today. The file formats are .bup - what is that? I can't view any of them, and I'm on a winXP machine. Any ideas???

Jeff_Dachowski
09-09-2008, 01:57 AM
Stephanie,
PUt it into your regular dvd player.
Jeff

Heather_L._Smith
09-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Steff - I put mine in my computer (on the PC, cuz it won't work in the Mac with the side-entry CD slot), pulled up the program I use to watch DVD's on that machine (InterVideoDVD, I think), and it opened right up.

But, Jeff's probably right (big surprise)... try it in your regular DVD player.

Liz_Vance
09-11-2008, 04:26 AM
I really hope that next year they use full-size dvds. I couldn't watch it on any of my computers. I had to wait for my husband to bring home his laptop (which has a tray). Very frustrating.

-e

Rick_Massarini
09-11-2008, 06:13 AM
I really hope that next year they use full-size dvds. I couldn't watch it on any of my computers. I had to wait for my husband to bring home his laptop (which has a tray). Very frustrating.

-e

The cameras that are used for filming the critiques use the mini-DVD. Unless PPA increases the PEC's budget to include additional money for replacing the cameras (unlikely, since we just got these cameras only a couple of years ago), next year's critiques will also be done on the same mini-DVD's.

Marc_Benjamin
09-11-2008, 07:31 AM
The cameras that are used for filming the critiques use the mini-DVD. Unless PPA increases the PEC's budget to include additional money for replacing the cameras (unlikely, since we just got these cameras only a couple of years ago), next year's critiques will also be done on the same mini-DVD's.

A few of us have I've been wondering about the whole min-dvd choice and we couldn't figure out why cause there's really no cost savings of using min's vs. regulars.

D._Craig_Flory
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
A few of us have I've been wondering about the whole min-dvd choice and we couldn't figure out why cause there's really no cost savings of using min's vs. regulars.

I am sure it was the cost of the cameras and not the media that went into the decision. I know that mini-CDs cost more than regular but I think the camera that takes a full sized DVD is more costly than one than takes a mini.

Heather_L._Smith
09-11-2008, 02:38 PM

-e

Um... did you try your DVD player???? hahahahahahahaha

Betty_Huth
09-13-2008, 03:15 PM
We just finished the critiques for images entered in the Florida State competition. We used a program called SnapzProX. It can be saved in Quicktime movie and even saved for web and made into a Mpeg4 that can be viewed in iTunes or similar program. It can be burned to a regular CD. In the regular QuickTime Movie size each critique was about 30 MB and we had 6 images per case and some albums which were longer. I used IPhoto to view each image, but you could use Photoshop and you have all the tools available to show alternate cropping and other things. The program is only $70.00 and can be used for other things. We think we have come up with a good alternative to a camera.

bob_hancock
09-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Received mine with only received 3-4 critiques.
The missing critique was from a print that merited . . . . Will not lose any sleep over it.

Ben_Leavitt
09-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Actually, I received my DVD in the mail and only half of it works.
Once it gets to the second half of the critiques it starts to skip and then quits shortly after that.
What can I do to get a replacement/refund?

Keith_A_Howe
09-19-2008, 04:44 AM
Ben
Best I can offer is try cleaning the cd or try a different machine. As far as what you can do for replacement/refund, contact Jim Dingwell jdingwell@ppa.com
Keith

Ashley_Short
09-19-2008, 08:21 AM
I still haven't gotten mine yet. Should I be concerned or do some take longer than others?

~Ashley

James_Dingwell
09-22-2008, 03:28 PM
To answer some of the recent posts regarding critique DVDs: Generally the technical part of the system has worked well. Occasionally we have some glitches that may or may not be fixable in every case. We have found that more times than not when a DVD is "unviewable" in a computer, in can be played in a regular DVD player. If not, it may have inadvertantly missed the "finalizing" step that is required to make any DVD viewable. In a few instances, I have had members return their DVD to me for finalizing and it then worked fine. We are constantly looking at alternative methods and techniques but the bottom line is the fact that we produce hundreds of critiques, in a very short span of time in conjunction with the International Competition using volunteer shooters and occasionally, we mess up. As Administrator, I will do everything humanly possible to fix the problem. If you are experiencing problems with your DVD, please contact me directly at jdingwell@ppa.com.

Mark_McCall
09-29-2008, 03:56 PM
there's really no cost savings of using min's vs. regulars.

I could be wrong, but I believe the the reason for the mini DVD's is the time savings in using them vs. a full size DVD.

With the Mini-DVD cameras, the DVD is ready to ship, right out of the camera.
With a full size DVD, the video has to be downloaded to a computer, transposed, then burned to DVD, which takes alot longer.