PDA

View Full Version : PPANE questions

Laura_Piazza
09-07-2008, 02:00 PM
This is my first year entering PPANE and have a few questions on things I am confused about. Does anyone knows the answers to these questions? If so, THANKS in advance.
1. I didn't realize until last night that our cases have to be mailed to Worcester, MA. I had been working under the assumption that they had to be mailed to dropped in Nashua, since that is where the competition is, by Tuesday September 9th. Given this, I have put myself in a bind. I can drive my case to Worcester after work. Is it acceptable to drive a case or does it have to be mailed? Also, i see there is a late fee option, which is actually more appealing than driving all the way to worcester. ... but it says that there is no guarantee that it will be in the competition. If my case is there by the 10th, what are the chances it'd be in the competition.

2. Is the only criteria for putting a print in the Hastings competition that you need to be a PPANE member?

thanks!

Cassandra_Sullivan
09-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Not sure of all the answers to Q#1 - but why don't you just send it via Fedex Next Day tomorrow?
As for the Hastings Award - you need to be a PPANE member - but you need to have also printed and mounted the image yourself, too. And it's not eligible for PPA judging so if it scores great, it ends there. :)

Candace_Pratt_Stiteler
09-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Laura, Contact Nancy Green, print chair. You may be able to drop it at the hotel Thursday night or Friday AM prior to 9 AM. Late fees would apply if you drop it off. Nancy's contact info is on the print rules or on the PPANE website.
As to the Hastings competition, this is direct from the print rules, page 6:

A. Hastings prints are not eligible for PPA Judging

B. Explanation - George Hastings was the first president of the Photographers Association of New England when it was
organized in 1896. It is the expressed desire of the Association to perpetuate his memory by this award. The competition is
designed to test all the skills which a photographer should have: proper composition, exposure, processing, printing (including
print controls), retouching, mounting and finishing. A total of twelve Hastings Merit Points must be accumulated by entering
one print annually for six consecutive years. Three merits may be awarded in any one year. Merits are awarded by score: 80
to 100 - 3 merits, 76 to 79- 2 merits, 74 to 75- one merit. A record of all merits will be kept by the association and may be
inspected by any member of the Association. A "George Hastings Memorial Award" Trophy will be awarded upon
accumulating the total number of merit points within the designated time period. The recipient will have the opportunity to
display some of their Hastings Merit Prints at the following convention as well as to submit photographs for inclusion in the
following year's convention book.

Hope that helps!

candace

Laura_Piazza
09-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks Cassandra. Unfortunately one of my prints is not with me yet, i.e. I have to pick it up on Tuesday at a printer about an hour and a half away.
Candace, thanks for the information! I will be in touch with Nancy!

Laura_Piazza
09-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Candace, Is it Nancy Green I want to be in touch with?
thanks!

Candace_Pratt_Stiteler
09-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Yes, Nancy Green. She will have all the answers for you as print chair.

Laura_Piazza
09-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Excellent. thanks!

Jeff_Dachowski
09-09-2008, 03:12 AM
Laura,
Well,
we got our cases out today!!! I hate regionals in Sept! It is way too busy! Good luck with your case!

Jeff