PDA

View Full Version : Merrits for Super Monday?

Kari_Douma
09-03-2008, 02:22 AM
Does anyone know if you can get education Merrits for Super Monday?

Jeff_Dachowski
09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Hey there,
yes you get one service merit for attending a super monday.
You get two Speaker merits for teaching a super monday.
Jeff

Jon_Curtis
09-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes you can. At least some of them.

Jeff_Dachowski
09-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Yes you can. At least some of them.

Jon,
not to argue, but if it is a PPA Super Monday, you get a merit, as long as you are a PPA member. If not, no merit for you!!
Jeff

Kari_Douma
09-03-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks a lot!

D._Craig_Flory
09-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Hi Kari;

If you are looking for ways to get education merits ... #1 keep in mind that not only are there Super Mondays twice a year but some are held other than the date most are. So if the timingh, and locations, are right you could possibly take 3 or 4 in one year ... check the lists when they come out.
#2 I have gotten education merits at my state photography association, several times, when we had speakers do a merit class which we paid extra for. This was with our state certified group that is part of the state group.

Don_Chick
09-03-2008, 01:31 PM
If you look at your PPA merit record you will not see "education merits" listed as a category. The three categories of merits are;

Exhibition Merits - Earned through Print Competition
Speaking Merits - Earned by presenting a program, and other ways
Service Merits - Earned by attending PPA approved educational events, "serving", etc.

D._Craig_Flory
09-03-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Don;

My first merits for taking classes were called Achievement Merits. I knew that education got you service merits now but they are still merits eraned for education.

I do know the terminology changed. It's just semantics ... a different word for what you get for attending a class.

Kari_Douma
09-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info. Yes, I am looking to gain "Service" merits. Sorry for the confusion on calling them education merits. I am still new at this, and I am trying to sort everyting out!

Amanda_Koehler
09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Newbie here :)

So, if I attend a Super Monday training, how is that tracked for 1 credit? Is it part of the registration process, is a certificate given to PPA members, or is it something else?

Thanks!

Jon_Curtis
09-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Jon,
not to argue, but if it is a PPA Super Monday, you get a merit, as long as you are a PPA member. If not, no merit for you!!
Jeff

I guess I should have said, I know you get credit for some of them, if not all of them.

It's a given that you'd have to be a member of PPA to get merits for PPA.

Michael_Gan
09-04-2008, 05:26 PM
When you register through PPA with your membership number (or register at the door with your membership number) the instructor will certify that you've attended and PPA will put a merit in your merit record. I can't remember if PPA is still issuing the certificates for the pre-registrants.

Michael_Gan
09-04-2008, 05:28 PM
I guess I should have said, I know you get credit for some of them, if not all of them.

It's a given that you'd have to be a member of PPA to get merits for PPA.Not quite clear on this statement. But if it is a Super Monday Class, all of the classes qualify for merit issuance if you are a PPA member.

Amanda_Koehler
09-04-2008, 09:59 PM
OK....thanks!

David_Wright
09-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Certificate merits are no longer given, PPA will place the merit for Super Monday classes on your record just as they do for attending the full Imaging USA. One note here, if you attend a half day Super Monday, not very common, but it does exist, then you don't receive a merit. The instructor, whether it is a full day or half, 25 students or 1 or zero students, still receives 2 merits for their preparation and teaching the class.

As mentioned above, a great way to increase merits and provide extended education is to offer a local or state seminar, 8 hours, and have PPA approve it for merits. We have done that here in the past and very successful as a fund raiser, membership drive and further education/value for the membership. PPA will need $99.00 per person to establish a merited course.

Michael_Gan
09-08-2008, 02:52 AM
Hey David, good to see you back on here again.

PPA approved continuing education courses only cost $25 for administration fees per student for merits. There are no other fees with PPA and you charge for your fees. We are just in our first day of our three day workshop and all PPA attendees will receive one merit for attendance (plus 3 days credit towards their re-certification requirements)

Don_Chick
09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
zero students, still receives 2 merits......

You might check with Marisa Pitts to see if you get merits for not teaching the class.....

Stephanie_Millner
09-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Here's a question... my info is now wrong (thanks to my website drama) and I have a new site and email. Who do I contact to fix it for my class? (Note to Jeff.)

MarisaPitts
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi David,

not exactly correct. If you have no students registered you do not receive merits. If you get walk-ins and submit all of the paperwork to PPA you will receive merits at that time.

Marisa

Keith_A_Howe
09-12-2008, 04:27 PM
PPA will need $99.00 per person to establish a merited course.

I have taught several continuing education classes where the attendees earned merits, most recently Camp Howe and then I have a workshop coming up in KC that is approved as a Continuing Education class. It is always $25 per student. So unless you are talking about something else, I am not sure where the $99 fee comes from.

Keith

Heather_L._Smith
09-12-2008, 05:13 PM
For Super Monday, specifically, the fee for registrants is $99. As an instructor, unless you've already received your Craftsman, all of that fee goes to PPA.

Keith_A_Howe
09-12-2008, 05:59 PM
As mentioned above, a great way to increase merits and provide extended education is to offer a local or state seminar, 8 hours, and have PPA approve it for merits. We have done that here in the past and very successful as a fund raiser, membership drive and further education/value for the membership. PPA will need $99.00 per person to establish a merited course.

For Super Monday, specifically, the fee for registrants is $99. .

Heather you are absolutely right about Super Mondays, but David was refering to setting something up outside of The Super Monday programs and that's where I wanted to make sure PPA hasn't suddenly changed the fee from $25 to $99.

Keith

Don_Chick
09-12-2008, 06:36 PM
For Super Monday, specifically, the fee for registrants is $99. As an instructor, unless you've already received your Craftsman, all of that fee goes to PPA.

PPA gets all the registration fees until after (I think it's) 7 people sign up. If you have your Craftsman degree you get $50 for every registrant after 7.

David_Wright
09-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks Marisa & Keith,

I remember in the past either from other PPA instructors, this has been some years ago, as well as our own guild, the fee was higher to create a merited class as well as the instructor given two merits even if no students attended. Perhaps this was the rule in the past, perhaps I was wrongly informed. Either way, thanks for clearing this up and informing me.