PDA

View Full Version : Question

Lisa_Butler
09-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Hi Everyone! I have an image that I am entering in a state comp in two weeks and would like a critique. Not sure if I did the step mount correctly. It is the first time I have done this to an image. Is there a certain area to get a critique or is this the place? :) Thanks so much!
Lisa

Keith_A_Howe
09-01-2008, 11:34 PM
post it here, this is the Competition area
I'd love to see it.
Keith

Lisa_Butler
09-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Oh wonderful! Thank you very much! I appreciate your help Keith! This is the image that I would like help on. I was thinking about... would this be better with or without the step mount and also I am not sure if I even did the step mount right. I think it might have too much negative space. This is the first time applying a step mount to an image. What do you all think?

Joe_Galioto
09-02-2008, 12:46 AM
lisa,
beutiful image, you should do well with or without a step.
i'll let others, better on the art of step mounts coment on that.
joe

Keith_A_Howe
09-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Lisa
You did the step mount very well. I hope you don't mind I did a quick change for you.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Girl-3.jpg
I would suggest flipping the image as you enter the print from upper L and read into the face. I tilted her to give her more motion and impact. Finally I changed the stroke to a blue from her eye with out letting it get too bright.
This is a good starting image and should score in the above average catagory. There are a few things I would have liked to see a bit differently. First - Lighting is coming pretty much straight into her face making her brighter on the side where the eye is covered than on her showing eye. Second I would have like a few more strands of hair covering her eye or uncover it. Seeing just the corner is distracting to me. Last the white of her eye feels overly whitened to me. Good Luck
Keith

Lisa_Butler
09-02-2008, 01:22 AM
Wow... thanks Keith and Joe! That made a big difference. I really truly appreciate you time and your expertise. Thanks so much!

D._Craig_Flory
09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi Lisa;

Keith did a great job with what he did for you. Here is the image with a grid over it to show the 4 golden mean points. By flipping it, he put her on the 3rd quadrant.

In case you don't know how ... if you would like a way to see where they are on any image simply go into Photoshop. Go to Edit > Preferences > Guides, Grid, and Slices. Under Grid - set it like this: Style: Lines Gridline Every 33.3%. Subdivison: 1.

Open an image and click View > Show > Grid. You will a grid similar to what I put over your image. Good luck in your competition. Sit in the room and watch the judging and learn a lot.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TheEyeHasItThirds.jpg

Lisa_Butler
09-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Thank you very much for the tip!!! I didn't know that... I would just make a grid every time. That will sure save a lot of time! Mucho Thanks!!!

Lisa_Butler
09-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Can an accent line be too big? Do the judges count off if it is?

Keith_A_Howe
09-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Can an accent line be too big? Do the judges count off if it is?

Yes and yes, although count off is not the way we do it. We don't subtract. If the line is too heavy handed it will detract from the image. That will lesson the impact so it will effect the score. When in doubt go less pixels for the stroke. Have you ever studied the 12 elements?
www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=559

You might find them helpful to review if you haven't looked at them before.

Keith

Lisa_Butler
09-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Thanks Howe for the link.

Lisa_Butler
09-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I just wanted to say, that I appreciate everyones help very much!!! I have posted four images that are finished for comp and would love to know what you guys think. I know I have asked a lot already but I hope to help others one day like you all have helped me. Thanks again for everything! If anyone gets some extra time Here is the link to the comp images. Would love to know your thoughts.
http://ourppa.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123457556

Keith_A_Howe
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Lisa, I don't have time to comment on the images right now, but I did take a quick look. Is it the same man in the first and last images? It looks like he is but I can't tell for sure. If it is the same subject one of the two would be disqualified. The first one is the better of the two.

Keith

Lisa_Butler
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
No problem. No not the same guy. Thank you Howe.

Mark_Levesque
09-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Thank you Howe.
We in the military? Gym class? LOL Most people call him Keith. :)

Heather_L._Smith
09-03-2008, 06:14 PM
We in the military? Gym class? LOL Most people call him Keith. :)

Hehe... I was thinking the same thing! It's so funny to see Keith referred to as "Howe." It's cute. I might adopt it. Or, if he ever decides to adopt me, I'll just call him Dad. :)

(ugh... lame, I know. Sorry.)

Lisa_Butler
09-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Mark for making me aware LOL I didn't realize I was doing that. Yep... the military will do that to you... some habits are hard to break. :)

Keith_A_Howe
09-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Keith . . . Howe . . . either one of them is better than what some people call me.

Keith

Mark_Levesque
09-03-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought we were gonna leave Holly out of this. :D

D._Craig_Flory
09-03-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks Mark for making me aware LOL I didn't realize I was doing that. Yep... the military will do that to you... some habits are hard to break. :)

Hi Lisa;

Soooo military. Were you an officer or did you work for a living ? :D
Me ... I was an NCO so I worked for a living.