PDA

View Full Version : CC please

Debra_Collins
08-31-2008, 03:00 AM
This is my first attempt at something like this. Will it work for competition? Also, is there a problem with the FPP logo on it? I don't know why there would be but I thought it might not be a good idea to have it there?

http://www.waterlilygallery.net/pix/fpp.jpg

Cynthia_Anderson
08-31-2008, 02:01 PM
I have never been in a competition but I think that works very well.

Cindi_K_McDaniel
08-31-2008, 03:58 PM
although it's a beautiful image, I can't imagine a captivating name for it that would work in competition...

Kate_Higdon
08-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Debra,

I think this is a great image, it has nice lines, lighting and composition. My concern is impact, that is the biggest weakness for me. But, I'm sure there are more qualified people on the forum that can give you a better critique.

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2008, 04:37 PM
This is my first attempt at something like this. Will it work for competition? Also, is there a problem with the FPP logo on it? I don't know why there would be but I thought it might not be a good idea to have it there?

First of all I never know how to answer "will it work for competition/". What does "work" mean? Will it be disqualified? Will it go loan? will it get a merit? Will you be embarassed to show your face again? Sorry, not picking on you Deb! It's just way easier to give a helpful response when you know the expectations of the person asking. So because I really don't know what you are asking I'll answer all of those questions - no.

Anything will work, how well it will do is the actual question you want answered probably. This is one of those images I can't really tell you what is wrong with except it's just overall average, average light, average composition, average subject matter. There seems to be an issue with either exposure or post processing. I am on my old laptop and it's hard to tell real well on this moniter. There is nothing here that makes a judge want to keep looking at this image. To me that's a good definition of impact, you just want to keep looking at it. It stirs some response in you. This image doesn't do that for me. As is I would score it in the low average catergory because of what seems to be an exposure issue. I think with some work you could move up in that catergory but I don't see it ever getting above average or higher. If you are satisfied with a score in that range this is a good learning print. If only merits will make you happy, then keep looking. I think I have told the story before of a man in my state. I asked him one year how his prints had done. He was very excited. It was the first time ever that all four of his prints had hung in the show, nothing below 70. So for him "work" meant just scoring better than 69.

You asked about the FPP logo. Because you said logo I assume this was some corporate event? I thought it was from a wedding and was the couple's monogram, you know Floydene and Percival Plowmaster? So no the logo is not a problem.

Sorry I couldn't be

D._Craig_Flory
08-31-2008, 04:47 PM
You asked about the FPP logo. Because you said logo I assume this was some corporate event? I thought it was from a wedding and was the couple's monogram, you know Floydene and Percival Plowmaster? So no the logo is not a problem.

Sorry I couldn't be

Hi Keith;

I am not familiar with common names for kids in Nebraska. Are those common names there ? :D

D._Craig_Flory
08-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Hi Debra;

I agree with Keith. You will not be embarassed by this image but, by the same token, will not necessarily set the world on fire.

I like the image and if you were down to picking a 4th image for your print case I'd say go for it ! If you do ... you already have good placement on the monogram so that works. I'd soften all but the box. I'd also tone down the napkin, which is drawing a lot of attention, as well as the bright "circles of confussion in the bkgrd. above the glass. If done well I see it scoring in the high 70's in state competition. Good luck.

Keith_A_Howe
08-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Hi Keith;

I am not familiar with common names for kids in Nebraska. Are those common names there ? :D

No, I looked them up in Palmyra, Pennslyvania phone book.

Debra_Collins
08-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys - and to answer your valid question Keith - I don't want to enter anything less than possible merit images. I will keep this in mind for case filling if I need one.

The logo isn't really a logo - miss-spoke on that. It was from the Florida Professional Photographers (FPP) convention banquet.