PDA

View Full Version : Another for CC

MarilynDillon
08-28-2008, 11:26 PM
I just participated in my first competition in the spring but I only submitted landscapes and florals. Would love to get some portraits entered. Here is one. Will put up another in separate posting.

Erica_Larsh
08-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Hi Marilyn,

I've never entered a print competition, so you may just want to take my opinion with a grain of salt. Personally, I don't like this one. He looks like he was cut out to me. Also, there is a lot going on visually and the elements seem to be competing with one another.

MarilynDillon
08-29-2008, 12:36 AM
He actually wasn't cut out -- he was on a half pipe that he built out of wood.
Might be that I could rework the original file if that is the effect it is giving.

Jon_Curtis
08-29-2008, 12:45 AM
I haven't done a lot of comp's, but I don't think this image will do that well.

andiegoodman
08-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi Marilyn,

Not that I am an expert at judging a print (I sure cannot tell mine) but I think the background is way to sharp and competes with the boy. I doubt if it would make a good comp print but for him, I would grunge it up a bit.

Just my 2 cents. See you in Nashua.

D._Craig_Flory
08-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Marilyn;

Once again, I see an image created, or cropped, way too close. I do hope it's simply cropped too close. If that is full frame, get in the habit of creating some a good bit farther away. Get in the habit of doing other than just looking at the camera. When working with a Mom, that wants close and looking at the camera ... tell her you are creating some to fulfill your inner artist. It is no extra charge and you are doing them for you but, if she likes any, she can order from them.

More space allows you more in the scene to help tell the story. In the case of this image ... I would never have guessed it was a skateboard half-pipe with it that close.

By looking other than at the lens, sans smiles, it allows you to create introspective story telling images.

Keep creating and keep posting.

MarilynDillon
08-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the help -- this was the first image that i picked out from this grouping. I think i will dig out the original files and see if there is one that has some of the other things you mention - more space, less depth of field, etc.