PDA

View Full Version : To Hang or To Merit?

Deleted
02-24-2006, 06:26 AM
Is it the same thing? To "hang" is to merit, or can you hang, but not merit?

Maybe this question should be in the rookie section :-)

Stan_Lawrence
02-24-2006, 06:30 AM
John-
You can hang around, you can hang out. If you'e from calif, you can just hang and it's cool. Actually it's the same thing, refers to the molden olden days when merit prints were hung. You know, hung by the chimney with care, in case old St. Nick cruised by in his woody. Worked way too many hours today...

Deleted
02-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Too funny :-)

So, if you score a 75 or some such thing, you might still have your print displayed in the print exhibition or is that only 80 and up? Either way, apparently that isn't considered "hanging" :-)

What about a print that doesn't merit ... can it be re-entered at international ... not that that would necessarily be a good idea ... it would be like beating a dead horse :-)

D._Craig_Flory
02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Hi John;

At the PPA, a merit image is one that received the coveted score of 80 or more. Only images with a score of 80, or above, will "hang" in the show.

Here in Pennsylvania, we hang images with white, red, and blue ribbons. So images with a score of below 80 still hang. And because we still put ribbons on the prints, and hang prints with a score below 80, it gives photographers something to crow about in the local media. A client reading that XYZ studio won a red ribbon on a portrait of them is terrific publicity for anyone to read but you better believe that client is going to tell a gazillion people about the "award". We still don't hang prints with a score below 70.

Also, if you enter a regional competition and get an 80 score, or higher, it's automatically an 80 at PPA. It just has to be sent to the next competition.

So there you have it. Now go enter and win !

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photographer, ASP
floryphotog@mindspring.com

Stan_Lawrence
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
"What about a print that doesn't merit ... can it be re-entered at international ... not that that would necessarily be a good idea ... it would be like beating a dead horse :-

You're best bet is to enter it in a regional, and as Craig said if it scores 80 or above it's an auto hang at national. I have seen prints that didn't hang at western states and got a merit at national. On any given sunday....it's not an exact science. Any time you have humans judging, there can be variations. As good as most judges are, they occasionaly will let their personal feelings affect a score. They wouldn't be human if they didn't. So, talk to as many local masters as you can and get their advice on what to enter. Be sure to vote for the alien judging act, it's a keeper. Good luck.

Deleted
02-24-2006, 06:49 PM
So, anyone else from this forum going to enter prints at the Mid East Regional next weekend?

I'm waiting on my last of 4 prints to get back from the lab and I will hand deliever my case. This crap gets expensive! I had to join PPA (already was a member of PPO), buy a print case, pay the $90 to enter, get 4 competition prints made, pay an application fee for my CPP test ... I think I am at around $500 now. Granted, some of these expenses are one time (like the print case and CPP fee hopefully) and some of it wasn't really required to enter comp, but holy cow, I hope this whole experience will be worth it. :-)

D._Craig_Flory
02-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi John;

I get an 8X10 or 10 X 8 of my potential competition images. I review them to narrow down to four. But I also look at them under competition light intensity. Then I order the 16X20's or 20X16's with changes. All image files are sent over DSL. I can spend a total of about $30.00 to $35.00 for my final images each. I never pay for custom prints anymore. I give them competition Photoshopped images. Once printed, and mounted, I spray them with several coats of high gloss lacquer in my spray booth.

Good luck at the Mid-East Regional. I'm working on images for our Pa. state competition in April. I'm hoping to drive to Ohio next year for Mid-East.
(if you meet any Pa. state members, tell them you see me on here)

D. Craig Flory PPA Certified, Cr.Photog, ASP

floryphotog@mindspring.com