PDA

View Full Version : comp potential?

MarilynDillon
08-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Looking for CC on this image. First regional comp coming up.

Leana_Moss
08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi marilyn,
I'm totally not qualified to comment, but I do like the image. The one thing that bothers me is the diagonal light on the wall - that is the first thing I notice.

D._Craig_Flory
08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi Marilyn;

I see a cute image ... cropped way too close. I am posting how I see it ... IF you have a good bit more room around her. If the original file only includes what you posted I recommend not using it.

I added area as if your image went out that far. I flipped it so she is looking left and the light is also coming from our left. I can see this image getting into the 75 to 78 range with changes.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DillonFlowerGirl.jpg

Joe_Galioto
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
sorry md,
the whole image is awkward. from the way she's standing to the way she's holding the flowers. lighting needs to be refined also.
keep them coming.
joe

MarilynDillon
08-28-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks for all your feedback. i appreciate it. this image was taking during the preparations at a wedding. this is natural light and no posing -- she was standing like that and i saw the beautiful light so took the photo. i actually like the light on the wall and the way she is standing reminded me of some poses i have seen in fashion --- but if it isn't for comp, that is perfectly fine. it is sometimes tough to find wedding images for comp. just for reference below is an alternative treatment.

MarilynDillon
08-28-2008, 09:17 PM
So, someone said, keep them coming -- so here is another portrait. I did my first state comp in the sping and i submitted all landscapes/florals. Would love to be able to do more portraits.

MarilynDillon
08-28-2008, 09:26 PM
This is from a senior portrait shoot.

Nylora_Bruleigh
08-29-2008, 02:41 AM
Hey Marilyn!

So far the last one of the senior is my fave!
You are waiting as long as me to have these done eh?! lol!

Good LucK!

MarilynDillon
08-29-2008, 04:28 AM
hey nylora!
yes, i totally waited until the last minute for this -- I have no idea where the summer went.....actually, where did the last 18 years go? my daughter is going to college!!!!!!

D._Craig_Flory
08-29-2008, 01:00 PM
This is from a senior portrait shoot.

Hi Marilyn;

I like this image. I wish you had created some with her looking to her right. As it is, she is looking out the right side of the image. Our eyes enter from the left and travel to her and her eyes take us out the right.

The clothing is not ideal either. I wish she had on a lighter color top. With a light skirt and a light background ... my eyes are drawn to her top.

Keith_A_Howe
08-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Marilyn, What are your expectations? I know everyone wants thier prints to merit, but what kind of scores will it take to make you happy? If your goal is all merits, I don't believe these three prints are the correct choices to reach that goal.

The flower girl has nice soft directional light. The challenges with that image are compositional because of the awkward crop and her expression which is kinda blank stare. Some one mentioned the diagonal line on the wall behind her. I like that line because it forms a leading line that points directly to her face. The challenge is it's such a strong geometric element in an image of soft organic shapes. Contrast like that can work extremely well when the story is about contrast or discord. It just doesn't fit this image. In your reworked version there is an obvious white halo around her where you worked the background. So I think the reworked version would have less potential than the original. If you ask yourself "will the judges notice . . . " the answer is always yes. If you decide to go ahead with this print be sure to flip it as D. Craig suggested.

I am out of time now but I will try to give comments on the other two later today. When you are going through your files looking for possibilities look for directional light that creates highlight and shadows across the face. you are trying to create the illusion of a third dimension in a two dimensional representation.

Keith

MarilynDillon
08-29-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks for all your feedback!!

Keith_A_Howe
08-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Marilyn, Another suggestion I have for you is to get your hands on some old loan and showcase books. Don't ever try to copy those images, but it will give you a reference to understand what you need to look for.

I have a few minutes now so I can finish commenting. Forgive me if I repeat what someone else said. Don't have time to read all the other posts.

Boy with bike - This image has a lot of challenges. First while it is hard to tell on this small file, the light looks flat and mushy. By mushy I mean there is no dicernable edge between shadow and highlight. I am a fan of a soft light - gradual transition from highlight to shadow, but when that transition becomes too gradual (like it does on heavily overcast days) it goes mushy. This is a subject matter that would be well served by a harsher light. By harsher I mean the edge between highlight and shadow is more distinct and less gradual. Think about in the studio. A parabolic gives you a harsher light than a softbox. Both have thier appropiate uses. I would use a soft box on a baby or a bride and a parabolic on a punk rock kid. The next challenge you face is composition, it's cropped too tight and also there is some distortion from lens choice. I am guessing you are at the top of his half pipe looking down on him and had no way to back up or use a longer lens. That's fine. Sometimes we have to do the best we can with the limitations of the situation we find ourselves in, but it does take this image out of the running for competition in my opinion. If I was on the panel I would think that he was pasted into this spot (even though I think I read you said he wasn't?) because he is way out of proportion with the wood grain of the boards behind him.

The girl - again I cannot tell on this small image but the lighting looks flat and lacking in speculars. It looks like you grunged up the print and added an edge. A judge would ask themselves why you made that choice, what does it add to the image. It's not a "grunge" type subject matter and it's not a vintage aged looking image so in my opinion the effects do not improve the overall story. I would leave them out. Ask yourself does this image have impact? Impact can come from an exceptional subject, an exceptional treatment or viewpoint or even from exceptional techinque of an ordinary subject or concept. What is exceptional about this image? It's a very good senior portrait. I think it would recieve an average score. But to get a merit some element needs to raise it to a higher level. To go loan, every element needs to be on that higher level.

Don't be discouraged. You are picking the right kinds of subjects and images, you just haven't hit on the ones that put it all together yet. Like I have said many times, I entered four years before I ever got a single merit.

Keith

MarilynDillon
08-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you Keith for your time and energy!!!! I will take all points -- and continue to search and work on them. And...yes, that was an overcast day when I shot that boy on the bike -- i was using a mirror reflector to try and get some more defintion but it didn't work out. Oh well -- he was thrilled which is good. Keep on ...keepin on.

Keith_A_Howe
08-29-2008, 05:09 PM
. And...yes, that was an overcast day when I shot that boy on the bike .
I thought so.
Keith