PDA

View Full Version : Loan Collection image files for the Book...

Alvaro_Balderas
08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding the Loan Collection images for the Book. Last year i received an e-mail asking to send the files to "Marathon Press" if one of your images was selected for the Loan Collection. But this year so far i have not received any information, so what should i do?????

Please Help, and forgive my Mexican english......

Cheri_MacCallum
08-20-2008, 03:49 PM
You were supposed to include a cd in the case I thought. I'm guessing if they don't have one they will be contacting you.

Rick_Massarini
08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I've checked with Jim Dingwell (the PEC Coordinator), and he said that Marathon will be contacting the Loan and Showcase image photographers directly, as they did last year. This year, since it was new, very few participants included the CD in their print case. Next year, the CD inclusion will be a requirement.

Alvaro_Balderas
08-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you Cheri and Rick for your valuable help......

Rick by the way i knew you are a new "Master Photographer" Congratulations on such tremendous achievement......

Keith_A_Howe
08-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Rick by the way i knew you are a new "Master Photographer" Congratulations on such tremendous achievement......

Rick
I know YOU know this but for all those out there that maybe do not know I am posting this...

You can NOT advertize as a new Master of Photography anywhere until the degree is awarded to you by PPA. The reason for this is everyone that meets the requirements is listed and voted on by the PPA Council. It is not voted on to award the degree until the monday morning council meeting at Imageing USA.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
I didn't know it had to be voted on, I'm assuming it's more a formality but has anyone ever been refused?

Wreck outside my door. Second one in the 5 months I've been here, NOT a good omen other than several people must stop...and look around.

Todd_Reichman
08-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Out of curiousity - can you have an image accepted into the loan collection and not included in the book?

- trr

Alvaro_Balderas
08-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Keith,

Oppss, i did not mean to bother or get some one into troubles.....

Keith_A_Howe
08-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Keith,

Oppss, i did not mean to bother or get some one into troubles.....

No problem Alvaro, you didn't do a thing wrong. Rick cannot advertize it or use the title, but it was certainly appropiate for you to congratulate him.

Todd, If your image is accepted for loan it is included in the book. I believe you can you can choose not to be in the book. Or if you forget to send the fileto Marathon when they ask for it you would not be included. In the case of albums, usually a page spread is chosen to represent the album. It is usually the makers choice.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
08-22-2008, 01:52 AM
Thank you Cheri and Rick for your valuable help......

Thanks, Alvaro.

As Keith said, even though I've completed the requirements for the Degree, I am only a "degree candidate". I won't be a Master until they actually hang the ribbon on me and I accept the charge to degree recipients.

I am an OLD Scoutmaster, so I relate it as being similar to achieving the Eagle Scout rank. Once you've completed all the requirements, you don't become an Eagle until you hold up your right hand and make the Eagle Promise.

I hope that I meet the standards of the PPA Council and that they will all vote favorably on me to receive my Degree.

Rick_Massarini
08-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Out of curiousity - can you have an image accepted into the loan collection and not included in the book?

- trr

In years past, we used to bring all the Loan Collection and Showcase Book images into a room where a copy system had been set up and all of the prints were photographed for the book. Now that just about everything has gone digital, it is now simpler and more efficient for the entrants to just supply the image on a CD for Marathon to publish. The images from the file should be superior to that from a copy of the print, since there would not be any need to crop the file, eliminate reflections or have to deal with the increase in contrast and loss of definition as is always the case when a print is rephotographed since Marathon will be printing from an original file. I did notice in last years Loan Book (the first year that the file submission was done instead of the prints being photographed) that there were a few images that Marathon did not receive, so they were not included in the book. With the new PEC requirement that will start next year, every entrant will have to supply the images on CD, so the issue of non-inclusion should not be an issue after the new rule takes effect and people get used to supplying the CD with their print cases. By the way, I was one of the individuals who forgot to include the CD with my print case this year (ooooops!) - hey, I'm human, or at least half...

Todd_Reichman
08-22-2008, 02:31 AM
so in theory you would be required to have loaned images included due to the CD requirement? In future comps will you be disqualified for not including the cd?

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
08-22-2008, 02:44 AM
Todd, What seems to be the issue for you? The way your posts are worded I am getting the feeling you don't want your images included. If I am right, can you share your reasoning? It is considered an honor to be in the Loan book. Also where you have aspirations to speak, inclusion in the loan book is one way for your name to become more recognized.

As far as if the image would be DQ'd for forgetting the CD. I have absolutely no official word from anyone. I suspect it would be more a case of "well you goofed, your loss, you won't be in the book", but I really have no idea.

As far as including the disc this year, I didn't forget. I made the disc because I had heard it was going to be required, but when I filled out my forms on line I couldn't find anywhere that it said it was, So I didn't send it.

Keith

Todd_Reichman
08-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Todd, What seems to be the issue for you? The way your posts are worded I am getting the feeling you don't want your images included. If I am right, can you share your reasoning? It is considered an honor to be in the Loan book. Also where you have aspirations to speak, inclusion in the loan book is one way for your name to become more recognized.

No disrespect intended, Keith.

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
08-23-2008, 02:57 AM
No disrespect intended, Keith.

- trr

Didn't take it as disrespect at all. Just curious why you wouldn't want to be included.

Keith

Todd_Reichman
08-23-2008, 03:02 AM
Well, I didn't really have a good answer for you to be honest! Let's be straight and admit that I'm in no danger of being included any time soon. I guess I was just curious about whether the submission agreement obligated you to inclusion. Heck, I'd be more that happy if no one on Earth ever saw any of my photos.

- trr

Keith_A_Howe
08-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Heck, I'd be more that happy if no one on Earth ever saw any of my photos.

- trr

Uhm . . . wouldn't that make it difficult to get anyone to buy any of them???????????;)

Keith

Todd_Reichman
08-23-2008, 03:15 AM
Hey, I get payment up front!

- trr

Dan_Leary
08-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Let's be straight and admit that I'm in no danger of being included any time soon.

What?!? Are you having a bout of self pity or something? Your work is as good as any and better than most. BELIEVE ME I've seen photographers with just an inkling of the talent you have create Loan images, you'll get there. Your like the really hot girl that's always complaining how not hot she is...

Mark_Levesque
08-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Your like the really hot girl that's always complaining how not hot she is...

Hahaha. You hit the nail on the head with that one, Dan.

Todd_Reichman
08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
I gotta get a therapist - Dan said I'm a hot girl and it didn't bother me at all, maybe I liked it....

I just try to keep a very realisitc appraisal of how short of a time I have been at this and how very long I have to go.

- trr

Valerie_Kieselhorst
08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Please Help, and forgive my Mexican english......

Alvaro, I would be happy to trade my English skills with your photographic skills :)

Rose_Mary_Cheek
08-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Hello Folks, I'm new to this forum, but Alvaro, went to your web site and love your images, your lighting is wonderful.

Hope to learn lots from you folks.

Rose Mary

Keith_A_Howe
08-30-2008, 12:51 AM
Welcome to ourppa Hope to see lots from you.
Keith

Alvaro_Balderas
08-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Alvaro, I would be happy to trade my English skills with your photographic skills :)

Valerie, that's a good one.....

Alvaro_Balderas
08-30-2008, 07:17 PM
Hello Folks, I'm new to this forum, but Alvaro, went to your web site and love your images, your lighting is wonderful.

Hope to learn lots from you folks.

Rose Mary

Hello Rose Mary,

I feel very honored with your kind words..... and welcome to Ourppa, i hope you can learn and share as much as possible....