PDA

View Full Version : Got my Masters...now what

Mark_McCall
08-17-2008, 07:41 PM
I got the final 2 merits I needed for my Masters last month.

Who do I contact at PPA to get my name on the list of candidates receiving degrees at the convention?
Would that person be Marissa?

Also, I know a sponsor walks the stage with you, but does PPA allow two sponsors?
I'd like to have my two daughters walk with me.

Jeff_Dachowski
08-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi Mark,
You will get a letter in sept or so telling you that you qualify. Congrats!! I will be proud to recieve mine along with you, Marc Benjamin, Rick Massarini and a host of others. I don't know if you can have two sponsors or not. Check with Marissa and she might be able to clarify it. Again, congrats!
Jeff

Cheri_MacCallum
08-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Congrats to BOTH of you!!

Dave_Cisco
08-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I got the final 2 merits I needed for my Masters last month.

I'd like to have my two daughters walk with me.

Congrats...

You do know that your daughters will steal the show, don't you?:D

Don_Chick
08-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Hey Mark, Congratulations!!!

You are on a list and they are checkin' to see if you've been naughty or nice!

Depending on the outcome, they might contact you about getting your degree.

Derek_Alvarez
08-18-2008, 01:37 AM
Congrats MARK!

Todd_Reichman
08-18-2008, 03:44 AM
So, since it sounds like Mark got his question answered, what do you do regarding comp after you've earned your Master's? Still enter? Will your submissions change? Why? Going after the ASP?

- trr

Marc_Benjamin
08-18-2008, 04:16 AM
Outstanding Mark! Now first rounds on you... remember that conversation we had at Tia Maria's at 4am in San Antonio?

Mark_McCall
08-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Hi Mark,
I will be proud to recieve mine along with you, Marc Benjamin, Rick Massarini and a host of others.

I hear Jackie will be getting her Craftsman, but may not make the trip. Help me convince her to come.

Cheri,
Thank you. That means alot coming from you.

Dave,
It was good to see you in Ft. Worth this week. I saw you sleeping on the front row, but I decided you needed your beauty sleep. LOL.

Don,
If it comes down to naughty or nice, I'm afraid I'm sunk. LOL.

Derek,
Thanks bud. Ya coming to Arizona?

Todd,
For me, I will never stop entering. I'm starting on the MEI in 2009, which I hear is much tougher. I'll probably be calling on Cheri for advice when I start that one.

Marc,
Was that the convention where we all got snowed in?? OMG...that was a nightmare. Thank goodness for good friends and cold beer.

Marc_Benjamin
08-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Marc,
Was that the convention where we all got snowed in?? OMG...that was a nightmare. Thank goodness for good friends and cold beer.

That's the one, Jackie and Zack was there too. I think you told us that you'll buy us the whole bar when you get your masters.

D._Craig_Flory
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Hi Mark;

Congratulations to you, and all others getting a degree.

Ok, now you can start working on bars to add to your Craftsman and your Master. Set a goal to have the bars get so far up the ribbon that you are almost choking. ;)

Rick_Massarini
08-18-2008, 02:07 PM
So, since it sounds like Mark got his question answered, what do you do regarding comp after you've earned your Master's? Still enter? Will your submissions change? Why? Going after the ASP?

- trr

Going after the ASP Fellowship is a truly lofty goal. I believe the total count of ASP Fellows was 102 as of last year. PPA does have the Imaging Excellence Award which is awarded upon hanging a specific number of prints in the Loan Collection. I'm not sure of the number - maybe Keith knows for sure the exact number required in the Loan for the IE award.

Mark_McCall
08-18-2008, 02:50 PM
I think you told us that you'll buy us the whole bar when you get your masters.
That was another snow job brought on by alchohol consumption. LOL.

Craig,
I already have enough merits to get 3 more bars, I believe (I'll have to check).

After I do the math, and get the letter from Marissa, I'll see if I can get those at the same time. In the past, they've just mailed my bars to me, but I've been sandbagging the last few years to make sure I kept out 12 service merits to add to the 13 print merits for Master.

Rick,
I believe the Imaging Excellenct Award is received after 13 Loans. I already have 2. I believe the medallion is replaced with an Onyx one with a diamond in the center upon achieving the IEA.
I'm curious, though. What is required to get the ASP Fellow?

Todd_Reichman
08-18-2008, 02:54 PM
What are the bars for?

- trr

Michael_Gan
08-18-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm curious, though. What is required to get the ASP Fellow? In order to qualify for F-ASP submission, you need a total of 15 Masters print merits. Then you submit something like 25 images of your best work and a thesis. A panel from ASP will then evaluate it and decide if your work is worthy of inclusion for the Fellowship. This, IMO, is our industry's equivalent of a Ph.D.

Regarding the bars, I think you need to have your Master Craftsman degrees. After that, you earn your first bar for merits 51-75, 76-100, etc. So, to answer Todd's question, you earn a bar for each additional 25 merits. prints or service.

Marc_Benjamin
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
What are the bars for?

- trr

1. The more you have the better cell signal you get at the convention.

2. What is the place where McCall's gonna buy beers for ourppa'ers.

3. With any luck, I'll have my first one by the end of the year.

Mark_McCall
08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
In order to qualify for F-ASP submission, you need a total of 15 Masters print merits. Then you submit something like 25 images of your best work and a thesis. A panel from ASP will then evaluate it and decide if your work is worthy of inclusion for the Fellowship.

Thank you...this is exactly what I wanted to know.
Does the 25 peices of work need to be different than one of your Master Merit Images?..or can they be included?
What size images do they accept?
Also, what's the topic of the thesis?

Regarding the bars, I think you need to have your Master Craftsman degrees. After that, you earn your first bar for merits 51-75, 76-100, etc. So, to answer Todd's question, you earn a bar for each additional 25 merits. prints or service. You can get bars even if you have one degree. (I already have two on my Craftsman ribbon).
I believe you are correct in that, after degreeing, your awarded one bar for every 25 merits, regardless of type.

Michael_Gan
08-18-2008, 08:58 PM
The thesis seems pretty easy as most of them seem to be personal philosophies about their photographic life. Just like any thesis, you should write about something that you know.

The images can be all of your merited images. I believe most of them have been the loan images. I recall seeing Dave Swaboda's images and recognizing them as the loan images. Images can be of any size. Jacqueline Patterson agonized over her submission and had many 11x14's in it (if I recall). Remember: Masters are allowed to enter up to 20x24 maximum size with a minimum, of 80 sq. in., so the sizes vary in the collections.

Don_Chick
08-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Regarding the bars, I think you need to have your Master Craftsman degrees. After that, you earn your first bar for merits 51-75, 76-100, etc. So, to answer Todd's question, you earn a bar for each additional 25 merits. prints or service.

You get bars for every 25 merits after the first degree. Craftsman folk can earn bars!

Loans for IE (Imaging Excellence) award = 13
Loans for Buddy Stewart Award = 26

Michael_Gan
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Loans for Buddy Stewart Award = 26...and a train whistle ;)

Rick_Massarini
08-19-2008, 12:16 AM
...and a train whistle ;)

And that is just as it should be...
...we all miss ya, Buddy...

Keith_A_Howe
08-19-2008, 02:27 AM
I believe the Imaging Excellenct Award is received after 13 Loans. ? Correct

I believe the medallion is replaced with an Onyx one with a diamond in the center upon achieving the IEA.

You don't replace the medallion, you wear the new one in addition to your Master's medallion. I don't know what the Buddy Stewart Award will look like. I am hoping to find out someday. I have 21 loan so it will be a few years.

Keith

Rick_Massarini
08-19-2008, 02:50 AM
I have 21 loan so it will be a few years.

Keith

NAH...

It'll be next year - if you enter the EI too - you'll go 4 in the PO Loan again , plus 4 in the EI Loan = 29 Loans

wait ! if Keith gets it next year he really got it this year since this years awards are given out next year so next years awards would be given out the year after next year which would be 2010 since getting it this year really means getting it next year so this year is really next year so next year is actually the year after next year so it probably will be a couple of years... that gave me a headache... now who's on first...

Keith's right !

George_Hawkins
08-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Congrats Mark,

I hope to be present. If me, when asked who sponsor is, I'd merely say my co-sponsors are my daughters, (and write the two names)!

Regarding bars: After Cr., I have been mailed a bar when I got 25 additional service merits, and I have two bars. First bar came not too long after I received Cr., as I was really short the speaking merit, to get the Cr. Makes sense to me! Holding various offices at different times in state and regional and a trustee at NEIPP School gives me the service merits.

George