PDA

View Full Version : NOT going to Phoenix!!

Todd_Reichman
08-15-2008, 06:32 PM
For the second year in a row we can't go to IUSA. Once again our local wedding show (the one where we book 25-40% of our business) is happening over the same weekend!?!?!? This is so disappointing. We started our careers at Imaging USA, attending for the first time before we even owned a camera. It was like going back to our roots every year and understanding how far we'd come and how far we had to go.

It seemed like in year's past IUSA was later in January. Oh well. Unfortunately that means WPPI is getting my convention money this year. Its a bummer, WPPI is a great convention (and WAY more wedding oriented) but I like for my money to go to supporting PPA.

Now I have to suffer through another January knowing that everyone else is having the fun and all my OurPPA cohorts will be living it up and having great stories to tell while I'll be back home.

Curses, foiled again!!!

- trr

Angela_Lawson
08-15-2008, 07:00 PM
Your not the only one! Last year was my first convention, and I sooo wanted to go this year, but I can't either. :(

Angela

Ashley_Short
08-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Aww... you guys will be missed! :( I always wondered about that, too... a lot of bridal shows happen that time of year. We miss out on one of our area's biggest ones, but I think it's worth it. There are other shows we can go to to, I guess!

JE_Hedges_Photography
08-16-2008, 06:22 AM
Got a call just today from the organizer of our area's largest bridal show that the show has been moved to the weekend she knows I'll be in AZ. Happend to me this past year too. The show was on the same weekend as Imaging. The show is HUGE and I refuse to miss it.... BUT WAIT... I know how life/business changing IUSA is and I wouldn't miss it either! So... I have my Assistant (who is my brother AND a past wedding client) and my Marketing Manager (who is a past wedding client) run my bridal show booth while I'm getting my education at IUSA.

Todd... your past clients are the best folks to talk about how great you are and the best folks to run a booth. Each year I'll call some of my favorite brides and invite them to the bridal show to help run our booth too. They get a free t-shirt and I provide them with a small simple slideshow of their wedding. They love bragging to potential brides about their wedding and it doesn't hurt to have sample pics of them posted on the walls of your booth. PLUS... the potential brides walking in the door are usually aquaintenances or school chums of my past brides and that is an instant... "Well if you trusted them and loved your images... then I got to hire them too".

Soo... call up some past clients... give them a crash course on the top frequently asked questions... put them in charge of your bridal show booth... and GET YOUR BUTT TO IUSA!

Kristi_Johansen
10-20-2008, 08:36 AM
I am torn... I could go, but doubt I will.

Heather_L._Smith
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Why not fly in after the show on Sunday night? You'll have a full day of programming on Monday and Tuesday, plus the banquet... oh, and all the cool people to hang out with.

Come on, Todd... you're a creative guy... think outside the bridal show booth :)

Charity_Reed
10-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Todd you should post the picture of your bridal show booth so everyone can see how much you and Jaime put into it. Then they would understand why you can't have past clients and your office manager man the booth for you.

It is something to see. Makes my booth seem pathetic. Now my wheels are turning, what can I do to make mine better and stand apart from the crowd.

C

Todd_Reichman
10-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Funny that this thread has come back up, because we just bought our tickets to fly in for Monday and Tuesday. We figured out that we could make it there for a few days and still manage our calls and contacts from the show while we're gone, so we went ahead and made it work.

There's no way we could let someone else man our booth - I mean it is a business built just on the two of us :D! We need to make that personal connection to effectively market our weddings at the shows. Having said that, we're very excited to be going to IUSA and meeting the folks I've been talking to for so long - we ddn't get to make it last year and we felt pretty left out.

- trr

Ashley_Short
10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Todd, that's great! I'm glad you'll be able to make it! Hope we'll get a chance to meet at the party.

~Ashley

Todd_Reichman
10-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Which party?

- trr

Ashley_Short
10-20-2008, 05:24 PM
the "our ppa" party... unless that's the day that you'll be missing. Either way, I would imagine we'll be at all the parties!

Todd_Reichman
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
OK, I see there is a banner at the top of this page saying that the OuPPA party will be Sunday and we're not coming in till early Monday morning - are there any other OurPPA get togethers being planned :D?

- trr

Ashley_Short
10-20-2008, 05:51 PM
not that i know of, but you're the kind of guy that could handle getting another one together. Go for it. :P

Todd_Reichman
10-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I'd love to get something happening Monday or Tuesday night. Also, we did confirm today that we'll be available and speaking at the SMS booth. I'll post the specific times when we get them.

- trr

Angela_Lawson
10-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Guess that just leave's me as the one having to sit this one out.:(

Hopefully the following year.

Angela

George_Hawkins
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I just got an email about reviewing the student (orange shirts) volunteers.
Have not registered yet, and am undecided to attend!

Heather_L._Smith
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
OK, I see there is a banner at the top of this page saying that the OuPPA party will be Sunday and we're not coming in till early Monday morning - are there any other OurPPA get togethers being planned :D?

- trr

Last year we did a lot of stuff on the fly, so I would guess that'll happen this year, too. We all shared cell #'s and it was a calling frenzy when anything happened :)

Sara_Nelson
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
I won't be going this year, too much going on in the business and the personal part of my life. Maybe next time. :) Have fun everyone!

Jane_Lydick_Staid
10-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Not going this year either. It's just not in the budget, my husband just had hip replacement surgery and we have two children in college. :eek:

Rick_Massarini
10-21-2008, 10:55 PM
Last year we did a lot of stuff on the fly, so I would guess that'll happen this year, too. We all shared cell #'s and it was a calling frenzy when anything happened :)

Sounds like a good idea - I missed most of the get togethers last year - I only made it to the lunch meeting on the patio. We need to get a cell phone list started for Phoenix !

Ashley_Short
10-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Sounds like a good idea - I missed most of the get togethers last year - I only made it to the lunch meeting on the patio. We need to get a cell phone list started for Phoenix !

Yeah, we do... it's fast approaching! (yay!) I can't wait.. I'm so glad I don't have to miss this year like I did last year.

Eric_Leszkowicz
10-22-2008, 07:29 PM
For the second year in a row we can't go to IUSA. Once again our local wedding show (the one where we book 25-40% of our business) is happening over the same weekend!?!?!? This is so disappointing. We started our careers at Imaging USA, attending for the first time before we even owned a camera. It was like going back to our roots every year and understanding how far we'd come and how far we had to go.

It seemed like in year's past IUSA was later in January. Oh well. Unfortunately that means WPPI is getting my convention money this year. Its a bummer, WPPI is a great convention (and WAY more wedding oriented) but I like for my money to go to supporting PPA.

Now I have to suffer through another January knowing that everyone else is having the fun and all my OurPPA cohorts will be living it up and having great stories to tell while I'll be back home.

Curses, foiled again!!!

- trr

You should tell us the secret to doing that well at wedding shows.
Ours are a complete waste of time.

Todd_Reichman
10-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I'd be happy to, Eric - I know some people are down on wedding shows or think they only cater to the lowest-end bride but we booked many 5-figure weddings off of last January's shows. These were shows that also had much less-expensive shooters too, so I wouldn't say it was a budget show or anything.

It has everything to do with establishing a strong and memorable business image and making a statement about who you are and what you do. Beyond that its all building relationships (don't make the first thing out of your mouth, "what's your date?" etc.).

- trr

JE_Hedges_Photography
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Todd you should post the picture of your bridal show booth so everyone can see how much you and Jaime put into it. Then they would understand why you can't have past clients and your office manager man the booth for you.

Todd, I would additionally love to see the booth.

My business is built by me also. However, I believe if you have competent people that work for you, who love your business just as much as you do, that in your absence, they can produce as much excitement with a new client as if you were there. Those of you who are down on my idea may not have that going for you? I don't know.

My brother, who is my assistant, and my Marketing Manager, who is a past client, does a phenomenal job at bridal shows when I'm not there, and I get just as many bookings.

Here's a picture of our booth from the last show. As you can see... a lot goes into our booth as well.
http://www.cjlhedges.com/jehedges/html/IMAGES/IMPRESS%20YOUR%20FRIENDS%20GALLERY/002%20(Medium).jpg

You should tell us the secret to doing that well at wedding shows. Ours are a complete waste of time.

Eric, in addition to the way you set your booth up and how you connect with the clients, I believe a lot of how successful a bridal show does is based on how it is promoted. The person/company that puts on our largest bridal shows does numerous avenues of advertising... and does it well. We have brides from all backgrounds attend the shows.

adambroach
11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
This will be my first year at IUSA, Im still getting my feet wet in the photography biz, most of my work is for Hank Willaims Jr, check out my photos at Hankjr.com