PDA

View Full Version : Help choose title (again)

Chris_Padgett
08-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Some of you have seen this image before. I was going to enter competition last year but chickened out. I am filling out the labels for the back of my prints and my wife and I are disagreeing on the title for this one. Keith had suggested last year a title of "Listening to secrets" the other option is "secrets to Santa". I think by puting the word Santa in the title it will menatally put an image in the judges mind that may not mesh with my portrait. If you have any other suggestions feel free to toss them out too.

Thanks

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t329/padgettphoto/Compprint2low.jpg

Ashley_Short
08-06-2008, 05:37 AM
The first thing I thought of when looking at it was "All I want for Christmas." But.. I'm tired and it's without thought, so take it or leave it!

Mark_Katz
08-06-2008, 05:42 AM
"The cookies will be by the fireplace"

Linda_Gregory
08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
It's too early and I've been with little ones too much. "Where's the restroom?"

Lorrie_Kennedy
08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
"When Only Santa Needs to Know"

Will_Price
08-06-2008, 03:06 PM
And a new doll.....

Angela_Lawson
08-06-2008, 03:23 PM
How about "Christmas Wishes"?

D._Craig_Flory
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Chris;

I am (normally) an advocate of short titles no longer than 5 words. But, for this: "A Bike, a Barbie, a Puppy and a ... "

Will_Price
08-06-2008, 05:31 PM
What....NO PONY??? D.Craig is a Scrooge!;)

Julie_DeGuia
08-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Is this image already printed? If not, I would consider removing the doll coming out of the girls' head? My eye keeps going to that spot. Very nice otherwise!

Julie

Chris_Padgett
08-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Thanks for the other titles, we are in deliberations as we speak.

Julie-as usual with things I try to do for myself, I waited until the last minute, so yes it is already printed. I was hoping that I had toned the doll down enough to where she wouldn't be as much of a distraction.

If any judges look at this I would love it if you could comment on puting the word "Santa" or "Christmas" in the title, and whether that would be a poor decision or not.

Keith_A_Howe
08-07-2008, 03:06 AM
Chris, First of all you said I suggested a title before. I am sorry, I don't remember ever seeing this image. I do not understand why you are so concerned about using the word Santa or Christmas. What image do you think it will put in the judges minds that doesn't "mesh" with your image? It's onbviously a Santa portrait with a Christmas theme. Can you explain why you are hesitant to name it as such? Because I really am puzzled by why you think that might be a problem. Of the suggested titles here I like "All I Want for Christmas" best.

Keith

Chris_Padgett
08-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Keith-with your willingness to be helpful as often as you are I am not suprised that you don't remember but here is what you said-

Chris
For some reason I can not see the orginal image so my comments are from the one D Craig posted. I like the norman rockwell type look but there are a few little things I would like to bring up. We are just a bit too tight at the bottom were we almost crop into santas boot, give us just a smidge more floor. The lighting is cross lit and a bit flat. I know that when doing volume work you set your lighting flat so it will work with anything from indiv. to groups but for competition I would suggest dodging the camera left sides of their faces and burning the camera right sides of their faces. I also would dodge out the shadow behind the girl on camera left. This is what really made me question the lighting with a shadow on that side. Santa appears hunched over, get it into the title "Listening to secrets" or something like that.
Keith

I guess my hang up is with a title such as "Secrets to Santa" every judge will get their mental picture of Santa in that split second before the print is turned whereas with a less specific title they all won't have the same anticipation of what is coming. So I guess my problem is with just putting Santa in the title. I'm somehow rationalizing that it may decrease the impact.