PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Submitting your Images

Michael_Gan
07-30-2008, 03:53 AM
1. While we understand that you have a "style" to your work, we are doing the best we can to recognize this. However, if, for example your style is the "flat fashion magazine style" it is recommended that you show that you are capable of handling the other lighting techniques and lighting ratios.
(really important!)

2. Biggest cause of rejection has been images that are showing too dark on the screen. Images that are too dark mixed in with images that are at the right density will cause inconsistencies in the image collection. We see this right off the bat because we look at all the images at once in the thumbnails, so this problem sticks out immediately. Speaking of sore thumbnails...

3. Look at your images on a thumbnail sheet. See anything that stands out that doesn't look right? Ask some colleagues to look at your thumbnails and get feedback. Replace the images that look out of place.

4. The purpose of certification is to demonstrate to your clients that you are competent to the standards of professional photography. We consider these images to be able to score at least above average and up in PPA style print competition. That being said, as a hint, Show your client work, work that you have been commissioned. We are starting to notice a pattern that if the commission work is somewhat weak and we see some outstanding flowers and landscapes, then the candidate does not have enough commissioned work to put together 20 images. Besides, if you can take a great landscape, how will that help your customers?

5. Always demonstrate in your images that you have total creative control. Very often we can tell if you had a "lucky pot shot" or if you actually put some thought behind the creation of your images. Be deliberate in your work. This does not necessarily mean to be contrived, just be able to show that you are paying attention to your surroundings when you take your images.

Cindi_Delaney
07-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Michael,
I have a question. On some of the images I notice you are suggesting cropping and putting an image closer to one side or the other. I understand the concept.
But I thought images for CPP review were supposed to be like we'd prep for a client.
Maybe my clients are odd. On portraits they seem to want more centered subjects. Am I getting in wrong somehow?
And is there a traditional size or ratio, like cropped for 8 x10 or 5 x7?
I know some would look better cropped for say 5 x5, but most of my clients would think I'd lost my mind.
Is there a preferred way for submission?

Michael_Gan
07-30-2008, 07:08 AM
I think, personally, that it all depends on how much your clients trust in your judgement as the professional. "The reason I don't have it in the center, Mrs. Smith, is because of the way the eye flow is on this portrait. See how there's such a great feel in this portrait when it is done this way?". Or something like that. Ususally they say " yeah...yeah...I see what you mean. Come to think of it, it would look kinda weird if it was that way."

Watch a movie, or television. Look at the compositional flow of the subjects placed on the screen. Would anyone ever write to the director and say "you should place the subjects in the middle". What would you think the director would say? ;)

For your submissions, if it looks better square, make it square. I sell portraits to my clients based on the largest dimensions. If it is a 40x12, that's what they will get.